Pilot Custom 74 Vs. Twsbi Vac 700R

RudraDev

I bought a pilot c74 for approx 5k(shipping included) from rakuten, amazing pen. I have the medium nib, would recommend.

I'm thinking of getting a twsbi now, but the prices in indian market usually deter me from buying new pens.

more than 3k for a pen marketed as an affordable edc is just not worth it.

I saw your other post and would recommend purchasing from cultpens etc, their prices are more competitive and for the pen you want, they offer free shipping.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• ParkerDuofold

• we_invanted_zero

• RudraDev

I bought a pilot c74 for approx 5k(shipping included) from rakuten, amazing pen. I have the medium nib, would recommend.

I'm thinking of getting a twsbi now, but the prices in indian market usually deter me from buying new pens.

more than 3k for a pen marketed as an affordable edc is just not worth it.

I saw your other post and would recommend purchasing from cultpens etc, their prices are more competitive and for the pen you want, they offer free shipping.

How much would you expect customs to cost?

I didn't have to pay customs, and it is highly unlikely that you'll have to pay for a single pen worth less than 6k too.

In case you've to pay customs, the maximum that can be charged is approx 40% of the price of the pen + shipping and a small fine.

It's a gamble worth taking because, let's say you order about five pens over a period of time and are hit with customs on two of the packages, you still save a lot of money.

Gotcha. I'm looking to buy the Pilot Capless as it costs around 7k on Rakuten with shipping, so I was wondering if customs would be an issue.

>buying a pen without trying it.

Now that's courageous.

Should I just get both of them?

I have a huge pen store a few hours away from me where they have both the pens.

Hello there! In my opinion you should test both before buying if possible. I have the Custom 74 and I am in love with the pen. Pilot nibs are so smooth and soft that writing with them is a real pleasure. If you plan get both, in my opinion you better save the money and go big with the Pilot Custom 823 which is a piston filler, high quality and to me, is my favorite of my humble collection. Cost me 216 usd via eBay from a Japanese seller. In same place you can buy a 74 for around 70 usd.

Javier

Hello there! In my opinion you should test both before buying if possible. I have the Custom 74 and I am in love with the pen. Pilot nibs are so smooth and soft that writing with them is a real pleasure. If you plan get both, in my opinion you better save the money and go big with the Pilot Custom 823 which is a piston filler, high quality and to me, is my favorite of my humble collection. Cost me 216 usd via eBay from a Japanese seller. In same place you can buy a 74 for around 70 usd.

Vacuum filler actually. :)

Add lightness and simplicate.

They're not even in the same league. Three times the price. I like the 823 more than both the 74 and 700r, but it's still three to four times as expensive.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hi all,

This post prompted me to buy a vac because I don't have one yet... and I considered the mini, but it has what I consider a "fatal flaw"... for me, at any rate.

The pen's size will require most people to want to post it... but when posting the pen... the cap must be SCREWED ON... it is not a slip fit... the cap actually has to be screwed on... and you have to be careful about the clip's position when you start, or the clip will be digging into the web of your hand.

If you're a long, steady writer, such as a student... that's not such a big deal,... but I'm a "quick jab" writer... a signature here,... a notation there, etc. So, threaded posting is gonna get really old,... really quick... so I opted for the full-size 700R... I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it.

The only thing that concerns me right now is the step. :unsure:

Be well all. :)

- Anthony

Edited for typo.

Is the threads pointy? Please reply

Knowledge Power

Should I just get both of them?

I have a huge pen store a few hours away from me where they have both the pens.

If you have the pennies then Yes, just pick up a Con 70 or two for the Pilot and some nice ink and you're good to go.

Like I said I have both, they're different from each other, so treat yourself and enjoy your new pens.

Al

Edited by almoore

Is the threads pointy? Please reply

Hi Dinupravin... and Rudra, et al,

You really do not feel the threads on the Vac700 as much as you feel the sharp flange, (step-down), for the cap.

The Vac does have an amazing ink supply and it's fun to fill... mine also has a very smooth and nicely controlled wet nib and feed. But I do have to keep the valve open, (so the turning knob is never completely closed, leaving a gap); so if you're a perfectionist, or particular about aesthetics... like somebody I know and love... :rolleyes: ...that could be an issue for you. For the time being, I'm trying to "get over it," because the pen is a GREAT writer with an awesome nib. The shape of the pen is a little unusual... and it's on the heavier side with the steel vac mechanism... it doesn't fit as comfortably in the hand as my 580 or 74 does, but it's not a deal breaker, either.

I've had no problems getting it in or out of my shirt pocket, despite it's flared turning knob... but I wear dress shirts... if your wearing a uniform, or have shirts with integral "pen pockets"; you might have issues.

Finally, while the Vac feels solid and well-made,... there is a certain, indescribable "clunkiness" to its material quality... I wish I could put my tactile experience into words... but I can't... "clunkiness" is as good as it gets. :lol: Even though I also get the impression if you threw the Pilot and the TWSBI against a brick wall, the TWSBI would fare better. :huh: Like I said... it's difficult to put into words.

The bottom line: If you can afford both pens, I'd get both pens... they both have their merits. But if I were on a budget and HAD to CHOOSE ONLY ONE... I think I would give the nod to the Pilot 74 equipped with the optional large capacity Con-70 converter.

It's a lighter pen... which helps when you're a student and you have those long writing jags... there's no sharp step... you get a solid gold nib... and you get a pen with respectable, conservative looks, (to me, demonstrator pens have a juvenile vibe going on), that will impress your professors into thinking you're someone who is mature and is to be taken seriously, (which is important when you're starting out... it's what helps you get ahead ;) )... and finally, the Pilot is a solid performer with a long, distinguished pedigree... so you know you'll be getting a pen with Lexus reliability.

HTH. Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Edited to clarify text.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hi Dinupravin... and Rudra, et al,

You really do not feel the threads on the Vac700 as much as you feel the sharp flange, (step-down), for the cap.

The Vac does have an amazing ink supply and it's fun to fill... mine also has a very smooth and nicely controlled wet nib and feed. But I do have to keep the valve open, (so the turning knob is never completely closed, leaving a gap); so if you're a perfectionist, or particular about aesthetics... like somebody I know and love... :rolleyes: ...that could be an issue for you. For the time being, I'm trying to "get over it," because the pen is a GREAT writer with an awesome nib. The shape of the pen is a little unusual... and it's on the heavier side with the steel vac mechanism... it doesn't fit as comfortably in the hand as my 580 or 74 does, but it's not a deal breaker, either.

I've had no problems getting it in or out of my shirt pocket, despite it's flared turning knob... but I wear dress shirts... if your wearing a uniform, or have shirts with integral "pen pockets"; you might have issues.

Finally, while the Vac feels solid and well-made,... there is a certain, indescribable "clunkiness" to its material quality... I wish I could put my tactile experience into words... but I can't... "clunkiness" is as good as it gets. :lol: Even though I also get the impression if you threw the Pilot and the TWSBI against a brick wall, the TWSBI would fare better. :huh: Like I said... it's difficult to put into words.

The bottom line: If you can afford both pens, I'd get both pens... they both have their merits. But if I were on a budget and HAD to CHOOSE ONLY ONE... I think I would give the nod to the Pilot 74 equipped with the optional large capacity Con-70 converter.

It's a lighter pen... which helps when you're a student and you have those long writing jags... there's no sharp step... you get a solid gold nib... and you get a pen with respectable, conservative looks, (to me, demonstrator pens have a juvenile vibe going on), that will impress your professors into thinking you're someone who is mature and is to be taken seriously, (which is important when you're starting out... it's what helps you get ahead ;) )... and finally, the Pilot is a solid performer with a long, distinguished pedigree... so you know you'll be getting a pen with Lexus reliability.

- Anthony

Edited to clarify text.

Thanks for your insight.

Knowledge Power

- Anthony

Edited to clarify text.

It is like Lexus reliability, the Pilot Custom 74.

That's well put.

I think it's pretty amazing you can get it at the price you can...

...But, the price of Custom 74-M-Demonstrator I ordered from Amazon has gone up $30, and some others have risen by $10-$20, including some Custom 91's, all within the past few months. It's not all the pens, just some, but I just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone looking.

There's still some great deals on Amazon. J-Subculture's good, too IME.

I do like the professionalism of my CH 91, which is basically the same thing as a Custom 74.

But I also do love my 74-Clear demonstrator, which I think has an elegant harmony of aesthetics when used with a silver Con70, though there are some professional contexts where I'd feel like I'd be hazarding to bring it out... since it's so attractive and distracting ; ) It would be like wearing a tight blouse with too many buttons unbuttoned ; ) That would be better suited for certain medical contexts or amongst engineers.

Depends on your interests. Also consider the vac mini, which I personally consider the best TWSBI pen.

Will you travel via air with the pen? VAC700

Do you really want to post the cap? 74 or Vac mini (the 700 doesn't post)

Do you need to be able to post but want to use it both ways? 74.

Does the pen need to be slid into a shirt pocket? 74 or vac mini (the knob on the 700 is kind of tailor made to not want to slide into a breastpocket - does fine with pants and such)

Are you after a really, really fine line, a soft, semi-flexible nib, or a big double broad, or a music nib? 74 (don't recommend the 74 music unless you're ready to spend a long time tuning it, but it's a ludicrous, semiflex three tined stub)

Does a big step between the section and barrel bother you? Because the 700 has one.

Do you want to swap nibs? the 700R will swallow any #6 nib.

Personally, I couldn't choose between the two. Neither is objectively more correct. the 74 is a reliable, always well made thing and the TWSBI is a little more prone to occasionally getting a dud nib, and I personally find the nibs uninspired. BUT, I love both of them, and I went so far as to have a custom $300 14k superflexible nib put into my vac700r. But I use my two custom 74's all the time too.

I think it comes down to - do you need to post the pen? the 74. Do you prefer a heavier pen? 700 (it's not heavy, but it is heavier). Do you travel much? 700R (the 700R can even be gotten with a $20 inkwell for traveling for mess-free filling) Does the gold nib REALLY excite you? 74. Do you like a light pen? 74. Does a sharp step to the barrel bother you? 74. Your vac700R is probably going to stain eventually, too. Mine hasn't yet, but be prepared for that eventuality. The 74 will "wear" better. I wouldn't put one as being more durable than the other.

Applause. I just thought this was a great post.