The New Visconti Breeze

drathbun

What are people's first impressions of this new entry-level pen from Visconti? I just adore my Van Gogh Starry Night and I'm thinking of ordering one of these for my wife's birthday the moment Goulet puts it up for sale (early March they say).

I like the cap band moving to the body and the rocker arm on the clip. I also like that the body material is on the section. The magnetic cap system now has notches that line it up properly and don't allow it to spin once capped.

It is certainly no Medici or HS, but for $96US it is worth a try.

7169it-Breeze_Lime_FP.jpg

Visconti-Breeze-Plum-2_1500x.jpg?v=15488

Visconti Breeze at Visconti

Visconti Breeze at Goulet Pens

Edited by drathbun

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drathbun

• Nerdyhistorian

• Taverius

• A Smug Dill

I like the purple one! Not sure about the "Breeze" in the section ring, though.... But this might be my first high-end pen/Visconti.

Definitely a take on the multi-color Safari´s/Al-Stars and Metropolitans. Seems a cartridge/converter filling system?

I like the purple one! Not sure about the "Breeze" in the section ring, though.... But this might be my first high-end pen/Visconti.
Definitely a take on the multi-color Safari´s/Al-Stars and Metropolitans. Seems a cartridge/converter filling system?

Yeah it is a cartridge converter. I would expect it is the same one you get with the Van Gogh or the Rembrandt.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

What are people's first impressions of this new entry-level pen from Visconti?

The orange one caught my eye, but if I just wanted a pen with an attractive acrylic body I can buy a Moonman M100 or PenBBS 30x (or some such) for much less, and if I cared about performance I could get a Platinum #3776 Century or Sailor Promenade with a decent Japanese 14K gold nib (or even a Sailor Profit aka 1911 Standard with a 21K gold nib) for that price.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Bright colours.Any photos with other well-known pens to compare the size of the Breeze.

I suspect the real colours will be not as bright. Promotional pictures are always very bright in colours.

I suspect the real colours will be not as bright. Promotional pictures are always very bright in colours.

I'll know on Monday. I bought the Lime Green one on Goulet.com for my wife for her birthday this coming Wednesday. It arrives Monday by FedEx. I'm hoping it matches the decor of her office. I'm excited! I bought a Van Gogh for my birthday which isn't until April so I'm hoping this will make her smile that we both have Visconti's. We are visiting Florence in the Fall of 2020. I might have to come home with a Homo Sapiens Bronze Age!

Edited by drathbun

- William Thackeray

Only do that if they let you write with it right there lol, otherwise you're much better off buying from nibs.com.

I live 2 hours away and I'd rather pay import duty.

Only do that if they let you write with it right there lol, otherwise you're much better off buying from nibs.com.

I live 2 hours away and I'd rather pay import duty.

That's a good suggestion Taverius, thanks!

- William Thackeray

I'll know on Monday. I bought the Lime Green one on Goulet.com for my wife for her birthday this coming Wednesday. It arrives Monday by FedEx. I'm hoping it matches the decor of her office. I'm excited! I bought a Van Gogh for my birthday which isn't until April so I'm hoping this will make her smile that we both have Visconti's. We are visiting Florence in the Fall of 2020. I might have to come home with a Homo Sapiens Bronze Age!

Oh, exciting! I hope she likes it. Do let us know how the pen writes! I am really curious if these new pens have better nibs (quality control wise) than the other lines of Visconti.

Oh, exciting! I hope she likes it. Do let us know how the pen writes! I am really curious if these new pens have better nibs (quality control wise) than the other lines of Visconti.

I doubt it.

I mean, people still have nib issues on the ~2k limited editions.

I do like the design of Italian pens - perhaps because I am, myself, Italian? - but these days I don't trust anyone who doesn't make their own nibs.

Edited by Taverius

I doubt it.

I mean, people still have nib issues on the ~2k limited editions.

I do like the design of Italian pens - perhaps because I am, myself, Italian? - but these days I don't trust anyone who doesn't make their own nibs.

I've got one of the new nibs on my Van Gogh Starry Night. It wrote perfectly out of the box (of course I tried it in the store first). I've been writing with it every day for a month and it has had no hard starts, no flow issues, the nib writes like glass and is nicely wet with the perfect amount of feedback. It is perfect in my hand and I can write for an hour without issues.

The only issue I had with the pen was a very small crack in the resin where the barrel meets the section. I took it to my dealer who replaced the body and cap with a new one she ordered from Italy and arrived in 10 days.

I know I'm just an entry level fountain pen person without a single Montblanc, Pelikan or Parker DuoFold to my name, but I'm thrilled with my Van Gogh - yes, even the clip, and yes, even at this price point. If I never had another pen (doubt it) this pen would be all I need.

I know from the reviews I've read and seen about Brian Goulet and his company, that if I have issues with this pen, he will take care of me.

- William Thackeray

I will indeed Sophie! I'm excited about it. My guess is, this pen will have exactly the same nib as my Van Gogh.

fK47KCM.jpg

- William Thackeray

I know I'm just an entry level fountain pen person without a single Montblanc, Pelikan or Parker DuoFold to my name, but I'm thrilled with my Van Gogh - yes, even the clip, and yes, even at this price point. If I never had another pen (doubt it) this pen would be all I need.

That it makes you happy is more important than whether or not it suits the tastes and preferences of others.

It doesn't matter whether or not you have a Montblanc, Pelikan or Duofold. They're icons and worth trying, if only so you have a common reference for comparison in discussion with others, but if/when you have a chance to try them you may realize you don't even like them (or at least not enough to justify the price of one)!

That it makes you happy is more important than whether or not it suits the tastes and preferences of others.

It doesn't matter whether or not you have a Montblanc, Pelikan or Duofold. They're icons and worth trying, if only so you have a common reference for comparison in discussion with others, but if/when you have a chance to try them you may realize you don't even like them (or at least not enough to justify the price of one)!

Thanks, raging.dragon. As I said, I'm new to this hobby. However, I'm an old hand at collecting and enjoying guitars. I sold guitars for a couple of years after I retired from teaching. I intimately know the experience of thinking your present mid-range guitar is all you'll EVER need until you hold and play a top of the line $5000 Martin. The trick is, don't play the Martin unless you want a serious case of GAS (Guitar Aquisition Syndrome).

I suppose the same thing goes with fountain pens. Might we call it PAS (Pen Aquisition Syndrome)? Then, I guess I'm going to be suffering from PAS GAS?

In the meantime, buying $6 to $25 Chinese pens is a benign hobby. My $300 Visconti is as much as I ever thought I'd pay for a pen. I guess the idea then is to never try a DuoFold or 149 or M800 and my modest collection will still be fulfilling.

Of course, a trip to Visconti's storefront in Florence might change all of that. ;)

http://glennspens.com/pensofnote/images/Visconti/Visconti-Davina-05x350.jpg

- William Thackeray

In the meantime, buying $6 to $25 Chinese pens is a benign hobby.

Ha! I'm not so sure about that. It depends on how many you get as well. Six of these, twenty-six of that, and so on soon all adds up to $500 or more, for which some people would say could buy a 'good' pen that they'd really like and be proud to have instead.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.