Moonman M2 Eyedropper - Changing The Nib (Not Easy)

drathbun

Hello, fellow FPN'rs.

I received my Moonman M2 eyedropper a few weeks ago and have been very pleased with it.

I posted a review here.

However, I just can't get used to the Extra Fine nib it came with. The nib is fine, just WAY too thin for me!

So I bought a couple of nib replacements from Bobby Pen on eBay. One is a gold coloured steel FINE nib and the other a plain steel MEDIUM nib. They are cheap, so I thought if the fine wasn't thick enough, I'd just slap in the medium instead. Easy peezy right? Not so much!

First, I found a YouTube video from Mr. Bobby himself, going over the process for replacing the Moonman Wancai nib which is the same process as for the M2. Here is his video:

So, I prepared myself to do this carefully. I had read on Reddit where someone had a really difficult time removing the M2 nib and ended up using pliers and destroying the feed. I like to think I'm not that dumb, but I made sure I took my time and was extremely careful. At most, I'm wrecking a $20 pen, so I wasn't too scared.

I took video of the whole process. It was difficult but not impossible. Using Bobby's technique of grabbing the nib by the shoulders and wiggling it side to side, I finally got the nib to start to move and was able to get it out of the feed assembly. Putting the new feed back in was dead simple by comparison.

The thing that you have to really watch for is the small silicone ring at the back of the feed assembly that just falls off. It is so small and so transparent, I'm lucky I noticed it. The other thing I found was, you have to be careful about the orientation of the nib when screwing it back into the feed (as well as ensuring the back O ring is properly replaced), because the nib won't line up with the "Moonman" band if you don't put it in properly. I was able to twist the nib just enough to get it lined up again.

The FINE nib is much better than the EF. I will write with this for a few weeks to see if I need to change it out for the medium. I hope not because I like the look of the gold nib over the chrome.

I hope you enjoy my geeky little project!

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drathbun

• Honeybadgers

• dashreeve

• trmsw

When I bought new nibs to replace the EF nib on my Moonman M2, I bought a gold F and a silver M. I've written with the Fine nib in the M2 for a couple of months now with the pen filled with Yama-Budo. I'm not a big fan of Fine nibs and truly can't write with an ExtraFine. I had a second M2 on order but after two months waiting for it to arrive, I gave up and got my money back from the seller. I was going to have one M2 as a fine or medium nib and the other as a stub 1.1. I've order the stub 1.1 and it should be here any day now.

In the meantime, to prepare the pen for the change to the stub, I took the Yama Budo out of the pen and cleaned it in some water with a bit of bleach overnight. It was fairly clear of the magenta ink this morning. I decided to try the silver Medium nib in it tonight with some Kon-Peki ink. I'm rather pleased with it. It writes very smoothly and has terrific ink flow. The line is still very thin compared to some of my other medium pens so I layed them out together to see the differences. When the stub gets here, I will post some examples here as well.

YO93717.jpg

J9XwsNc.jpg

*note* The Visconti is Kon-Peki. The first Kaigelu 316 line is in Asa-Gao and the second in Diamine Bilberry

Edited by drathbun

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

neither my wancai nor my M2 was any trouble at all removing the nib. Yes, they can be tight, but patience, a firm hand, and something like a piece of old bicycle inner tube are the tools required. If you're using pliers, you deserve whatever happens to the pen.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

neither my wancai nor my M2 was any trouble at all removing the nib. Yes, they can be tight, but patience, a firm hand, and something like a piece of old bicycle inner tube are the tools required. If you're using pliers, you deserve whatever happens to the pen.

Yes, once I figured out how to do it with the aid of Bobby's YouTube video, it is a lot easier as I demonstrated in my YouTube video above. I used pieces of silicone shelf mats that I use to cover my desk. Works like a charm.

- William Thackeray

Are there several versions? The nib unit of my M2 simply unscrewed and then removing the nib and feed from the unit was easy

Are there several versions? The nib unit of my M2 simply unscrewed and then removing the nib and feed from the unit was easy

No. Some are just jammed in there very tightly. The 3776 is the same way. Some are just crazy tight the first time you disassemble.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The nib/feed assembly unscrews easily. Getting the nib out from the feed take a bit of wiggling. I found that side to side while pulling with the assist of an elastic cover got it out nicely. My 1.1 stub is coming in the nib/feed assembly so it will be an easy swap.

Edited by drathbun

- William Thackeray

• 8 months later...

I finally was able to wiggle the nib out of one of my M2s, and put a #5 Goulet stub in there. For some reason, it didn't work. I could get the pen to burp, but not write. I noticed the back of the Goulet nib is was not identical to the original M2 nib, so assume that is the problem. I placed the original nib back in and it works fine, but really wanted the stub in there. Anyone try a Goulet nib in the M2 with any luck?

I finally was able to wiggle the nib out of one of my M2s, and put a #5 Goulet stub in there. For some reason, it didn't work. I could get the pen to burp, but not write. I noticed the back of the Goulet nib is was not identical to the original M2 nib, so assume that is the problem. I placed the original nib back in and it works fine, but really wanted the stub in there. Anyone try a Goulet nib in the M2 with any luck?

I got a 0.7 and a 1.1 stub in each of my two M2s by buying them from Bobby on eBay. They fit perfectly and since they come already installed in a nib/feed assembly, all you have to do is screw it in.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/EF-F-M-0-7mm-1-1mm-1-9mm-Replacement-Nib-Units-For-Moonman-M2-and-mini-wancai/233208606472?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

- William Thackeray