De Atramentis Aubergine Vs. Rohrer & Klingner Aubergine

by_a_Lady

Does anyone have both inks and could enlighten me as to what their differences are? I've been eyeing that colour for quite some time now, and my local art supply store still has plenty of stock of the LE ink.

Dominique

Snail Mail

(fluent in SK, CZ, DE, EN

currently learning EO, JP, NL)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• by_a_Lady

• lapis

• Houston

• DrDebG

Using a glass dip-pen from Herbin, where 1, 2 and 3 = number of 100-µl swap strokes, and s = seconds of drying time:

fpn_1550762720__2_aubergines_ii.jpg

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Oops, I forgot to add that both prices are "okay" too (IMO): E.g. at Steffi's....

Bottles of this De Atramentis (35 ml) and this R&K LE (50 ml) come in at 12.50 and 11.99 Euros (including our 19% sales tax but not including shipping). Samples of same make 1.25 and 1.40 Euros (in that order).

Tell her "Mike sent me".

Using a glass dip-pen from Herbin, where 1, 2 and 3 = number of 100-µl swap strokes, and s = seconds of drying time:

fpn_1550762720__2_aubergines_ii.jpg

Thank you so much for this comparison! It confirmed my assumption that the De Atramentis Aubergine is more to my liking, looks more like the reddish gloss of real aubergine skin (eggplant for those peeps across the Pond).

Oops, I forgot to add that both prices are "okay" too (IMO): E.g. at Steffi's....

Bottles of this De Atramentis (35 ml) and this R&K (50 ml) come in at 12.50 and 11.99 Euros (including our 19% sales tax but not including shipping). Samples of same make 1.25 and 1.40 Euros (in that order).

Tell her "Mike sent me".

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that shop. Is it in Vienna?

Dominique

Snail Mail

No, it's in Epfach, about 60 km west-southwest of Munich. But they also say "Servus" there.

Fountainfeder

Stefanie Kahl
Denklingerstrasse 14, 86129 Epfach
Telefon: +49 1715279998

UstID: DE316395792
Email: fountainfeder@outlook.com
Internet: www.fountainfeder.eu

Both are very nice inks - nicely saturated and wet. I have both and love them!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

To add to the fun - here is a little comparison sheet I made:

fpn_1551024042__aubergine-sbys.jpg

DeA is a deeper shading ink. R&K lacks the capability to generate near black tones and is slightly more blue in hue. DeA comes in little paper box. R&K have pulled out all the stops for their special edition ink and packaged it in a toilet roll core. Both are excellent inks.

Edited by AidenMark

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

DeA is a deeper shading ink. R&K lacks the capability to generate near black tones and is slightly more blue in hue. DeA comes in little paper box. R&K have pulled out all the stops for their special edition ink and packaged it in a toilet roll core. Both are excellent inks.

AidenMark:

I have been on FPN a pretty long time. Yours is perhaps the best post I've ever seen on the board. As the French would say: Chapeau! And thank you. It brought delight to my morning.

be_a_lady:

I have both inks and enjoy both immensely -- just as others have said. I sought them out when I was looking for a purple ink that would pass in a conservative professional environment. After reading a very helpful thread on FPN on just that topic, I ordered these two inks and put them to work. Both of them fit the bill, nicely. The difference between them is largely unnoticeable in practical writing applications, unless I'm using a particularly broad nib. Highly saturated purples can be quite variable in their flow properties, but both of these are wet and lubricious.

Enjoy!

AidenMark:

I have been on FPN a pretty long time. Yours is perhaps the best post I've ever seen on the board. As the French would say: Chapeau! And thank you. It brought delight to my morning.

be_a_lady:

I have both inks and enjoy both immensely -- just as others have said. I sought them out when I was looking for a purple ink that would pass in a conservative professional environment. After reading a very helpful thread on FPN on just that topic, I ordered these two inks and put them to work. Both of them fit the bill, nicely. The difference between them is largely unnoticeable in practical writing applications, unless I'm using a particularly broad nib. Highly saturated purples can be quite variable in their flow properties, but both of these are wet and lubricious.

Enjoy!

I have to agree that this comparison is the best I've seen on this forum so far! Sometimes, computer scans have a way of totally misrepresenting the colour as it would look in real life (even though the scans themselves are adjusted to be true). Not so here.

I'm not a violet ink person; I thought I'd be, but trying Diamine Bilberry and especially Akkerman 13 Simplisties Violet left me kind of unexcited. I have since warmed up to Bilberry a bit and come to crave a sort of counterpart to it - Bilberry has a lot of blue in it (so much so that I'd even call it a blurple), so now I'm looking for a red-leaning violet. J. Herbin Poussière de Lune was a mispurchase in this aspect (too muted) but a total win in every other, and it confirmed that I am a violet ink person, after all - just a very particular one.

De Atramentis Aubergine has been mentioned consistently over the years as a very good ink, so I thought I'd try that one first. Then Rohrer & Klingner also jumped in with their Aubergine, the reviews were glowing and the price/ml even better than that of De Atramentis, and so my indecision was born.

Oh, I'm also every marketing department's wet dream in that I'm easily sold on product names that evoke a picture or feeling from real life: Bilberries are native to the Lower Tatra, I remember strolling through the mountains as a kid and grazing on bilberry bushes - many a dress was ruined that way, as the juice stains never come out. And grilled aubergine with goat cheese is, of course, crowd-pleasing staple at every barbeque (seriously, try it now and thank me later).

This is also at least 50% of the reason why I love KWZ Honey so much - it looks exactly like the honey that my greatgrandfather harvested from his alveary, and is, of course, just a great-behaving ink overall.

Come to think of it, a lot of my favourite ink names have to do with food...

Dominique

Edited by by_a_Lady

Snail Mail

I have to agree that this comparison is the best I've seen on this forum so far! Sometimes, computer scans have a way of totally misrepresenting the colour as it would look in real life (even though the scans themselves are adjusted to be true). Not so here.

I'm not a violet ink person; I thought I'd be, but trying Diamine Bilberry and especially Akkerman 13 Simplisties Violet left me kind of unexcited. I have since warmed up to Bilberry a bit and come to crave a sort of counterpart to it - Bilberry has a lot of blue in it (so much so that I'd even call it a blurple), so now I'm looking for a red-leaning violet. J. Herbin Poussière de Lune was a mispurchase in this aspect (too muted) but a total win in every other, and it confirmed that I am a violet ink person, after all - just a very particular one.

De Atramentis Aubergine has been mentioned consistently over the years as a very good ink, so I thought I'd try that one first. Then Rohrer & Klingner also jumped in with their Aubergine, the reviews were glowing and the price/ml even better than that of De Atramentis, and so my indecision was born.

Oh, I'm also every marketing department's wet dream in that I'm easily sold on product names that evoke a picture or feeling from real life: Bilberries are native to the Lower Tatra, I remember strolling through the mountains as a kid and grazing on bilberry bushes - many a dress was ruined that way, as the juice stains never come out. And grilled aubergine with goat cheese is, of course, crowd-pleasing staple at every barbeque (seriously, try it now and thank me later).

This is also at least 50% of the reason why I love KWZ Honey so much - it looks exactly like the honey that my greatgrandfather harvested from his alveary, and is, of course, just a great-behaving ink overall.

Come to think of it, a lot of my favourite ink names have to do with food...

Dominique

In that case you might enjoy some of Diamine's wine-named inks -- Syrah, perhaps. Not only are they evocative of a pleasant, intoxicating comestible, they're also red-biased purples. They run a bit far in the direction of maroon, for my tastes, but still in the purple family. Or, if you like the more vibrant pink-red characters in some purples, you'd enjoy Bungubox's L'amant.

On a personal note: The combination of the Slovakian flag and references to the Carpathians, alongside an Audrey Hepburn avatar and native-sounding English is intriguing.

In that case you might enjoy some of Diamine's wine-named inks -- Syrah, perhaps. Not only are they evocative of a pleasant, intoxicating comestible, they're also red-biased purples. They run a bit far in the direction of maroon, for my tastes, but still in the purple family. Or, if you like the more vibrant pink-red characters in some purples, you'd enjoy Bungubox's L'amant.

On a personal note: The combination of the Slovakian flag and references to the Carpathians, alongside an Audrey Hepburn avatar and native-sounding English is intriguing.

My sister actually has Diamine Syrah in her collection (though it's hard to call a congregation of 5 bottles that while looking at my own arsenal of 28 inks and 59 samples). I like it very much and regard it as a great complementary colour to Diamine Oxblood and Red Dragon - the Trinity of Red Inks. But I wouldn't call it a red-leaning violet, much rather a violet-leaning red; it's very close in both colour and sheen to Sailor Jentle Oku-Yama, at least in my opinion. A great colour, nevertheless.

Thank you very much, it's really encouraging to hear that! I was lucky enough to go to a school where English lessons started unusually early, so I took in the language quite quickly (children learn languages incredibly fast! probably because they're not afraid to embarrass themselves by making mistakes). My sister and I would even use it as our "secret language", because our mother didn't understand any English - now that she has picked up some of it through listening to us and watching Netflix, we had to move on to Esperanto. :rolleyes:

Snail Mail

Thanks for the comparison. I really like D'A Aubergine, but I suspect I could find space in the arsenal for the R&K Aubergine as well.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I love the color of DeA Aubergine, but I find it has bleedthrough and feathering issues with a lot of nib/paper combinations. R&K Aubergine could be a good alternative if it were not a limited edition ink.

I love the color of DeA Aubergine, but I find it has bleedthrough and feathering issues with a lot of nib/paper combinations. R&K Aubergine could be a good alternative if it were not a limited edition ink.

fpn_1551438335__2_aubergines_backside.jp

• FWIW here's the backside of my writing seen in the scan up above (post #2). IYAM, they both bleed the same. R&K maybe more so, because it is is wetter and more saturated. I should add that this is Rhodia 80 g/m2 paper.
  • R&K is, yes, a LE but "less limited" than their other LEs. R&K's 5 preceding LEs were issued in exactly 500 or 1000 bottles. They also have numberings on the labels of both the bottles and boxes. This LE R&K Aubergine is and/or will be issued in more than 2000 bottles and they also have no numberings on the bottle labels and boxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! This is a great comparison! I had thought of doing a comparison, but this is far better that I would have done. I do have to say that when using DeA Aubergine in a 1.5 stub nib, the ink is almost black but with shading to a dark burgundy. I love it even though I am not a fan of super saturated ink. I currently have R&K Aubergine inked in my Namisu Nova with medium titanium nib and the shading is marvelous from deep purple to lilac.

If asked to choose which I like better, I could not make a choice. I love them both!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

by_a_Lady: Just curious whether your question was specifically limited to these two inks, or whether you might be on a broader search for the perfect aubergine-like colour? I was reminded, the other day, just how delightful is Private Reserve's ebony purple, and this thread came to mind.

by_a_Lady: Just curious whether your question was specifically limited to these two inks, or whether you might be on a broader search for the perfect aubergine-like colour? I was reminded, the other day, just how delightful is Private Reserve's ebony purple, and this thread came to mind.

OOO, I do love Ebony Purple, but that's black purple not really an aubergine. I think of Aubergine as purple burgundy.

If you want a FAB ink, try the Stipula Purple IG, it's on sale for 1/2 off (I think I bought it at Pen Chalet). It has been a wonderful performer. That being said, I really like both the De Atrementis and Rohrer and Klingner aubergines.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I was just trying to decide between these two, but thank you!

Dominique

Snail Mail