Concerned About An S T Dupont Fountain Pen

Megaten

Hello all. Im still quite new to the fountain pen game, but I have become more aware of counterfeits especially when concerning higher end pens (Montblanc for example). So I just purchased an Olympio pen for under 50 dollars, but Im skeptical as I know they are not cheap, but this one seems very used.

Link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-T-DUPONT-GOLD-PLATED-FOUNTAIN-PEN-WITH-18K-GOLD-NR-/173803933783?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=mVonmZemVjA5EGhVBUEMQtvYBn4%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

The nib doesnt seem right to me, as it looks plated rather than gold unless thats gold plated on white gold or something. Theres no hood, which is the most concerning for me, as every Olympio I see online has the hood protrusion. Maybe the nib is from another Dupont pen? I know there are different sizes of this pen. I think the smallest one is open and not hooded?

I appreciate any clarification. I honestly dont regret buying the pen anyways. Its look nice, and was not expensive, so its not a big deal. Ill find out when I get it.

Thank you all. Have a great day.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Megaten

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mulrich

• jar

Jar knows...I don't.

I once spent E35 on a counterfeit....real good work....gold nib attracted magnets.... :doh:

Box was great fake too...even had a Dupont ad sheet that anybody in the world would have tossed first thing. Very pretty pen.......with an half a nib, I'd been satisfied.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I got duped by a fake Dupont on eBay a while back. I love Dupont pens but Im not expert enough to tell if this one is legit from the photos (though I suspect not). Once I got mine in hand it was an obvious fake. The cap didnt snap on smoothly or have the distinct Dupont snap. The nib was also terrible and not Dupont-like (not to mention it was magnetic which is a no-no for supposedly gold nibs and an easy way to spot a fake).

Fingers crossed you have better luck than I did but I wouldnt hold your breath.

A gold colored nib that is made of gold would not be plated. White gold is just yellow gold plated to make it white - rhodium, I think - yellow gold is just yellow gold. If it were plated, it wouldn't be too make it yellow, so far as I know. Don't know anything about S.T. Dupont though - sorry.

Edited by OmegaMountain

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

Mine was a beautiful fake, only the nib was poor....un smoothed.

So there are levels of fake.

A real Dupont is as perfect as can be made, even the underside of the clip is mirror polished. I did finally get a second hand Dupont at a live auction.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I got duped by a fake Dupont on eBay a while back. I love Dupont pens but Im not expert enough to tell if this one is legit from the photos (though I suspect not). Once I got mine in hand it was an obvious fake. The cap didnt snap on smoothly or have the distinct Dupont snap. The nib was also terrible and not Dupont-like (not to mention it was magnetic which is a no-no for supposedly gold nibs and an easy way to spot a fake).

Fingers crossed you have better luck than I did but I wouldnt hold your breath.

Honestly its the nib thats irking me. It looks gold plated, but who knows. It could be gold with something else plated on top. Based on how the pen looks, would it even be cheap to make a fake? And especially if they are selling it at a cheap price, there would be no profit. The seller told me that the pen was bought over 10 years ago from a friend, and based on its condition its been loved, even if its not real.

I was looking at a pen store online named Carmen Riviera pens, and they are selling an olympio that seems to be the same nib as the one I bought. The site seems very knowledgeable about pens(particularly the Pilot capless), so perhaps this one may be real. The pictures are at the bottom of this page:

http://www.carmenriverapens.com/st-dupont-pen-pencil/

I got a closer look at the pictures of your pen on my computer this morning and I'm more convinced it's fake.

1) The nib on the fake I bought looks almost identical to the one in your listing. Notice how the scroll work on the nib are at hard right angles, like stairs? I was told Dupont never made a nib with that design. I think the counterfeiter was trying to imitate a similar Dupont design but Dupont's design had curvier stairs (see images below).

2) I also can't imagine the gold plating on a Dupont nib (or pen body) flaking off that badly (especially because real gold doesn't flake and Dupont doesn't use gold plating).

3) Another warning sign is the item's location, "Houston, Texas, Thailand", which suggests the seller is hiding the fact that they're from a country with a reputation for fake products (even though the seller is transparent in the product description).

Again, once you get the pen see if the nib is magnetic–that's a sure sign it's fake.

It seems weird that someone would go to the effort to make a counterfeit pen and have it be in such poor condition; if you're going to fake something make it look good. Maybe the pen in your listing was counterfeited a long time ago and then well used.

On the bright side, it looks like you aren't out much money, I spent $200. Fortunately eBay was good at refunding the money once I filed a complaint. And if you confirm the pen is a fake I strongly encourage you to file a complaint with eBay about the seller. eBay will investigate and ban the seller if they determine the seller knowingly sold a counterfeit product. I've become very careful about buying Duponts on eBay since they are easily and often faked. I'm still looking for a legitimate version of the fake pen I purchased.

My Fake Dupont:

fpn_1550855027__img_0009_1.jpg

A Real Dupont Nib:

fpn_1550854650__gr_9873.jpg

Yeah the real nib looks like the one on the smallest Olympio correct? Im pretty sure it goes by the name Fidelio? THAT nib is 14k.

The seller bought it from a friend over 10 years ago they said. That explains the condition. Honestly I might keep the pen if it writes well. It has a nice wavy design on it. The seller doesnt seem to know if its fake, especially since it wasnt always theirs. The seller says that they live in Texas, but the description was honest and said that it ships from Thailand, so I knew where it was coming from. I dont know if ten years of heavy usage would result in that kind of flaking. The seller was willing to refund my money if it was fake.

Thanks for the info. I dont own many pens (just some sheaffers) and I thought it looked cool.

I got a closer look at the pictures of your pen on my computer this morning and I'm more convinced it's fake.

1) The nib on the fake I bought looks almost identical to the one in your listing. Notice how the scroll work on the nib are at hard right angles, like stairs? I was told Dupont never made a nib with that design. I think the counterfeiter was trying to imitate a similar Dupont design but Dupont's design had curvier stairs (see images below).

2) I also can't imagine the gold plating on a Dupont nib (or pen body) flaking off that badly (especially because real gold doesn't flake and Dupont doesn't use gold plating).

3) Another warning sign is the item's location, "Houston, Texas, Thailand", which suggests the seller is hiding the fact that they're from a country with a reputation for fake products (even though the seller is transparent in the product description).

Again, once you get the pen see if the nib is magnetic–that's a sure sign it's fake.

It seems weird that someone would go to the effort to make a counterfeit pen and have it be in such poor condition; if you're going to fake something make it look good. Maybe the pen in your listing was counterfeited a long time ago and then well used.

On the bright side, it looks like you aren't out much money, I spent $200. Fortunately eBay was good at refunding the money once I filed a complaint. And if you confirm the pen is a fake I strongly encourage you to file a complaint with eBay about the seller. eBay will investigate and ban the seller if they determine the seller knowingly sold a counterfeit product. I've become very careful about buying Duponts on eBay since they are easily and often faked. I'm still looking for a legitimate version of the fake pen I purchased.

My Fake Dupont:

fpn_1550855027__img_0009_1.jpg

A Real Dupont Nib:

fpn_1550854650__gr_9873.jpg

Edited by Megaten

Live in Texas and ship from Thiland. ???

My advice is not to buy....why buy a beat up pen that don't polish up well. Dupont has Chinese Lacquer...or something similar, so once that's all roughed up...that's it, I would think.

Curious, but have you ever written with one of the fakes? Any good? Total rubbish?

I would not even consider that item. It may well be real but I have very, very serious doubts.

Who am I kidding... it's a fake. Period!

Curious, but have you ever written with one of the fakes? Any good? Total rubbish?

Nope. And have no intention of doing so. BUT I have bought a fake ST Dupont lighter based on the pictures and weights and dimensions and only by looking at the real and fake side by side would I have been able to tell it is a fake.

The issue is that the people who make and sell fakes are also making and selling fake prescription drugs and car parts and plane parts and train parts and foods and really serious consequence fakes.

I don't knowingly support in anyway the fake market or have any respect for anyone who does.

My Website

The one I mistakenly bought wrote okay but not as well as my authentic Duponts. The cap was also scratchy when capping which is the exact opposite of a real Dupont and what first tipped me off that the pen was fake.

I also condemn those who make poor quality items for the sake of self-interest that may harm the interests of others, but I refuse to fully conclude that the seller knew it was a fake, tough I wouldn't be surprised if they did know. At the very least they did not sell the pen at a ludicrous price. They also were fully willing to give back my money, so I mean thats at least not shady behavior to me or perhaps they were afraid that I knew it wasnt real, but hey, Im not about to assume on the internet.

Has any info popped up on EXACTLY who is making the pens? Would it be a mass production factory in China contracted by an individual, or perhaps a smaller manufacturing scheme? Metal pens are easy to make, so I mean it can be from anywhere.

Nope. And have no intention of doing so. BUT I have bought a fake ST Dupont lighter based on the pictures and weights and dimensions and only by looking at the real and fake side by side would I have been able to tell it is a fake.

The issue is that the people who make and sell fakes are also making and selling fake prescription drugs and car parts and plane parts and train parts and foods and really serious consequence fakes.

I don't knowingly support in anyway the fake market or have any respect for anyone who does.

Edited by Megaten

Edit: former post now superfluous.

Edited by praxim

X

Whoops. Thanks for that. As you can tell English is not my Major.

@Megaten: Given your use of "also" I suspect you intended something like "condemn" or "do not condone". Letting you know while you still have time to edit it (assuming I get what you intended). :)