Smoothest Ergonomic Pen Within 50$

kikopens

Any suggestions for a very smooth ergonomic writer at a minimum feedback which can be comfortably used for 3-4 hours at stretch within 50$? (excluding preppy and plaisir).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kikopens

• K Singh

• hari317

• Honeybadgers

My smoothest writer under $50 is my Pilot Metropolitan with a medium nib and I find it very comfortable. As a note though, some people think the grip is too narrow so try it out if you can.

TWSBIs are also pretty smooth and my TWSBI Eco is very comfortable in the hand. I have a review of both pens in the YouTube link in the signature of my message.

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

What nib size do you use?

This plays a lot in the "smoothness" aspect and also how do you feel the ergonomics of the Plaisir?

If you are comfortable with it then get a pen that is similar in size to it.

Any suggestions for a very smooth ergonomic writer at a minimum feedback which can be comfortably used for 3-4 hours at stretch within 50$? (excluding preppy and plaisir).

Are you located in India? Any Indian pen fitted with a Schmidt or bock or JoWo nib is most likely going to be a very smooth writer. 50 U.S.s means approx 3500/- you should easily be able to find.

On Ebay U.K. you can easily find an English duofold standard or junior with 14k nib for around 20pounds plus 10pounds shipping. No modern pen can come close in performance.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

My smoothest writer under $50 is my Pilot Metropolitan with a medium nib and I find it very comfortable. As a note though, some people think the grip is too narrow so try it out if you can.

TWSBIs are also pretty smooth and my TWSBI Eco is very comfortable in the hand. I have a review of both pens in the YouTube link in the signature of my message.

many people are suggesting the metropolitan with the medium nib. its on my shortlist.

is the twsbi eco smooth enough?

What nib size do you use?

This plays a lot in the "smoothness" aspect and also how do you feel the ergonomics of the Plaisir?

If you are comfortable with it then get a pen that is similar in size to it.

i use nibs from japanese ef to european f. though i have a safari f which writes like a medium though.

i like the feel of the plaisir. though i like my pens to be butter smooth but the feedback on the plaisir is quite pleasant.

Are you located in India? Any Indian pen fitted with a Schmidt or bock or JoWo nib is most likely going to be a very smooth writer. 50 U.S.s means approx 3500/- you should easily be able to find.

On Ebay U.K. you can easily find an English duofold standard or junior with 14k nib for around 20pounds plus 10pounds shipping. No modern pen can come close in performance.

+1

I do have Pilot metropolitan, lamy al-star and faber-castell pens along with half-a-dozen jinhaos, but as far as ergonomics is concerned I think you are better off buying an Indian-made pen. Of course, your own preferences and your hand-size will also be a deciding factor. But for me, I find the Indian-made pens to be more ergonomic. Again, they are available in various sizes so do check their dimensions before you buy them.

I recently bought a Lotus Tectona for about 2670 rs, and I find it very ergonomic. Even though the pen is bigger in size, the grip section fits my hand perfectly and the pen is well-balanced, and also a beautiful writer. (No affiliation with the manufacturer)

Edited by K-Singh

i am relatively new to this forum. i dont know much about which indian pens are fitted with those nibs. some names will be pretty useful.

English duofold standard, is it a vintage pen ?

Edited by Arijitdutta

+1

I do have Pilot metropolitan, lamy al-star and faber-castell pens along with half-a-dozen jinhaos, but as far as ergonomics is concerned I think you are better off buying an Indian-made pen. Of course, your own preferences and your hand-size will also be a deciding factor. But for me, I find the Indian-made pens to be more ergonomic. Again, they are available in various sizes so do check their dimensions before you buy them.

I recently bought a Lotus Tectona for a bout 2670 rs, and I find it very ergonomic. Even though the pen is bigger in size, the grip section fits my hand perfectly and the pen is well-balanced, and also a beautiful writer. (No affiliation with the manufacturer)

i dont know much indian fountain pen brands. can i get some recommendations?

i will look into the lotus tectona.. is it an indian brand ?

+1

I recently bought a Lotus Tectona for about 2670 rs, and I find it very ergonomic. Even though the pen is bigger in size, the grip section fits my hand perfectly and the pen is well-balanced, and also a beautiful writer. (No affiliation with the manufacturer)

I looked into it. but on the site, the nib size isnt mentioned anywhere. i write my nibs to be on the narrow side. does it come with only one nib size?

i dont know much indian fountain pen brands. can i get some recommendations?

i will look into the lotus tectona.. is it an indian brand ?

Yes it's an indian brand. You can check that pen at lotuspens.com

You can also check pens from ASA at http://asapens.in/eshop/fountain-pen/asa-pens-india

There is also Ranga pens, but I doubt if you could get a Schmidt or Jowo nib under 50$.

If you are on a budget, I'd recommend the ASA Daily. I use it regularly, and highly recommend it to new fountain pen users. Also, I think it's the cheapest Indian-made pen that supports a Converter and comes with a Schmidt nib.

i am relatively new to this forum. i dont know much about which indian pens are fitted with those nibs. some names will be pretty useful.

English duofold standard, is it a vintage pen ?

Look up on google companies like Ranga pens, ASA pens, guider pens, lotus pens. These are Indian firms offering pens with smooth German nibs.

English duofolds are vintage, made by Parker pen U.K.

https://vintagepens.com/Parker_UK_Duofolds.shtml

https://parkerpens.net/ukduofold.html

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I looked into it. but on the site, the nib size isnt mentioned anywhere. i write my nibs to be on the narrow side. does it come with only one nib size?

That pen has a large size#6 nib. So i guess that's not the right option for you.

My medium Metropolitan is unbelievably smooth with Kon Peki, on decent paper. Didn't really get along with Lie de Thé.

My steel Lamy Studio is not at the same level of nib smoothness but is decent, and more comfortable (rubber grip, not the chrome section in other finishes). If you can find it at that price, a black Faber Castell Ambition will have a very smooth steel nib.

Edited by pseudo88

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

i use nibs from japanese ef to european f. though i have a safari f which writes like a medium though."""

A Japanese M...................is @ an European F.

One of the basics is either the Japanese mark their nibs one size narrow......folks with many Japanese nibs insist that is not so................so Euro's then mark their Nibs One Size Wide, just to irritate those who own Japanese pens.

One is designed for a tiny printed script...........then other for flowing cursive........can you guess which?

If you are a printer stay Japanese.

Any suggestions for a very smooth ergonomic writer.""..one of the rubber padded fountain pen???

""at a minimum feedback""" .......Butter smooth....is wished by many noobies....especially them using poor paper. Smoothness can be increased by using good slick paper and a well lubricated ink. A western M is smoother than a F..............well a Japanese M should be as smooth as an European F....in they are @ the same width.

Oddly often a year later many noobies come back and want to know how to get rid of 'butter smooth'. :D Have to tell them how to slightly rough up their nib tip.

I like good and smooth, the level under butter smooth, but most of my nibs are regular flex, semi-flex and so on....there is some give to the nib.

Nails are good to have in butter smooth, after some character is added to the nib, by making it a stub or CI.

You do have a choice in there are Japanese nails to be had also....besides regular flex....and expensive Pilot factory modified semi-flex.

More than likely you will have to chase a smooth nail....in there are so many of them. That come with smooth as normal.

Regular Flex outside Japanese 'soft' is rare in the west............look for a known Japanese 'soft' nib pen in M or even B=Western M.

The nice comfortable springy ride of a regular flex/soft Japanese nib, ...does away with 'minimum feedback', as a fault. The feeling is different

If you don't want to feel the paper....get much better paper.

"""which can be comfortably used for 3-4 hours at stretch"" .....Ah Yes....you have The Death Grip? The Deadly Kung Fu Thumb Pinch????

Help! How Do You Hold Your Fountain Pen?

Took three minutes to learn to do, took me a week of switching back and forth to stick with it. No more pain in writing, no more hand fatigue.....

You will be able to write 3-4 hours at a stretch....

Might not even need a butter smooth nail nib after you learn the Forefinger Up.

Do Listen to Hari....he knows what he's talking about. I always find him a good read.

A Pelikan 200's nib is a nice springy regular flex that writes with a clean line, and is a half a width narrower than modern Pelikan gold nibs. Is then only half a width wider than the average Japanese nib. Hari mentioned which Indian companies have German nibs.

I don't own a JoWo, so don't know about them.

I have become a fan of the 200's springy regular flex nibs....I rave about them all the time....................is good and smooth....very close to butter smooth, but luckily not.

Butter smooth....can be a over polished nib and have Baby Bottom!!! Slightly hard starts. The wider Pelikan gold nibs sometimes has a baby bottom problem.

I've not read about the 200 having that problem. They are also different in nib tip shape. The 200 is still the semi-vintage tip shape....which why it is narrower and has a cleaner line.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

many people are suggesting the metropolitan with the medium nib. its on my shortlist.

is the twsbi eco smooth enough?

I think so, but you'd have to try one out and decide for yourself. Also as a heads up, the Pilot Metropolitan has a snap cap and the TWSBI Eco has a screw cap if that makes a difference to you.

Edited by putteringpenman

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

Anything Faber Castell Design ( Loom, Basic, Ambition etc) or even better a used Pelikan M200 perhaps.

Edited by voltron

What defines "ergonomic"?

There are those who would class the Lamy Safari/Al-Star, with its somewhat triangular section, to be "ergonomic" (shaped to best fit the body).

Look up on google companies like Ranga pens, ASA pens, guider pens, lotus pens. These are Indian firms offering pens with smooth German nibs.

English duofolds are vintage, made by Parker pen U.K.

https://vintagepens.com/Parker_UK_Duofolds.shtml

https://parkerpens.net/ukduofold.html

that helps a lot! i will look more into those indian pens. i dont have any experience buying vintage pens and on top of that from ebay uk. i think i will avoid it for now until i get a bit more experienced with fps.

i will stick to indian brands for now!

Yes it's an indian brand. You can check that pen at lotuspens.com

You can also check pens from ASA at http://asapens.in/eshop/fountain-pen/asa-pens-india

There is also Ranga pens, but I doubt if you could get a Schmidt or Jowo nib under 50$.

If you are on a budget, I'd recommend the ASA Daily. I use it regularly, and highly recommend it to new fountain pen users. Also, I think it's the cheapest Indian-made pen that supports a Converter and comes with a Schmidt nib.

i was looking into asapens, they offer both Jowo and Schmidt nibs. which one to go for if i am going for a fine nib ?