Ink Tests For The Common Office - Sailor Jentle Tokiwa-Matsu

LordBaggins

Ink Tests for the Common Office - Sailor Jentle Tokiwa-Matsu

Today in my Ink Tests for the Common Office series I am reviewing Sailor Jentle Tokiwa-Matsu, aka Pine Green.

When I received this ink in my latest sample-haul, this was the first one I grabbed. I sincerely doubted that I would have cause to use a green ink in the office for anything other than corrections, and only having three pens, I did not think that I would be using it much until my collection inevitably grows. So without further ado, let’s move on to pictures!

RbAk0Kl.jpg

Chromatography

There is a whole lot going on here, from teal-blue, sky-blue, pine-green, a light burnt-umber, and pale-yellow. It's definitely a pretty combo.

R42c5Wn.jpg

cdIPoHw.jpg

White-Copy Paper

I am beginning to realize that sheen is very, very rarely going to happen on standard office paper. Honestly, that's okay, because for work I don't want too-too much going on to draw attention to the fact that this is neither blue or black.

It is slightly on the wetter side of things, and does feather and bleed-through, just slightly less than Namiki Black. As long as you don't swipe/drop water all over the page, or smear the ink, you probably wouldn't notice, at first, that the ink is not an office-standard color. Because of how wet the ink is, I would not recommend this for two-sided documents on standard Staples white copy.

As with my previous review, alcohol was not available. Bleach caused the ink to almost disappear, except for the barest of yellow remnants.

iNibVF0.jpg

Photocopy

Pursuant to the recommendation of namrehsnoom, I am including an image of what the ink looks like after photocopying. It is interesting to note that smearing and water damage didn't seem to show up much, if at all. If one were able to mop up a spilled drink quickly enough, a b/w photocopy of the document would probably look just fine. This gets me thinking...maybe I should add Dr. Pepper or coffee reaction tests in the future...hmmm.

Moving on.

KYtx1L9.jpg

Longer Writing Sample - White Copy

Aboj4QD.jpg

Yellow Legal Pad

In longer writing samples, the bleed-through and show-through start becoming more noticeable, but so does the shading. There was no bleed-through on the Staples yellow legal pad, which is really starting to impress me for cheap paper.

Because the yellow paper doesn't suck up the ink as much, smearing was much more prevalent.

7sMyrsb.jpg

Staples Copy Shading

TSdZhMS.jpg

Yellow Pad Shading

Even on cheap paper, the shading shows up, although it is not super noticeable.

Final Thoughts:

Surprisingly, I feel comfortable using this ink in the office. I would not use this ink for signing my name, however, as water and bleach can mess with longevity too much. And, while I would certainly use this ink for notes on the legal pad, and possibly corrections, I would not use this on any two-sided documents (which, lucky for me, are anathema in my office).

If you like more reserved greens, or just want to rebel in inconspicuous ways, I think you might want to give this ink a shot.

For this review I used a Xerox 3220 Scanner set to Color at 300dpi, an iPhone 7s back-camera with no filters and set to large, a Brother MFC 8810DW photocopier, and some beautiful, industrial florescent lighting, as one would most often find in these circumstances.

Disclaimer:

I received this sample from Anderson Pens at my own expense. I am not being compensated for this review, or sponsored in any way. Colors may appear differently on different screens. The images and opinions in this post are mine and mine alone.

Lótessë Eru tirilyë or vandalla,
Trevor

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LordBaggins

• minddance

• Intensity

• bongo47

Great review and helpful. Thanks.

(I do not recall my Pilot 78G Broad giving the same saturation as in your picture. Mine churns out Tokiwa Matsu quite light, something like the Pilot Met (f) in your sample. Did you have to adjust the nib on your Pilot 78G?)

Mine has been super wet from the get-go. Ive had it about two years and I generally have to avoid using it at work because of the paper quality.

I think the tines might be a little separated though because it will pick up paper threads on the odd occasion which separates them further and then things get very wet. I havent tried to fix it since I usually use it on better paper where that doesnt happen and I like how it writes.

I figure its also a little nice to have a wet writer for these reviews; wet on cheap paper so people can see how bad bleed-through and feathering may get.

Trevor

Got five more lined up. Im going to let the samples run through the pens so I have a better idea on how they perform. Ill try to put up one a week for the time being though.

Trevor

Got five more lined up. Im going to let the samples run through the pens so I have a better idea on how they perform.

Excellent, this is good news.

I'd say this is one of the most professional greens out there. Unless someone had a HARD blue/black rule, this should never cause someone to bat an eye.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Very useful review! And thank you for including the photocopy test. This green e.g. photocopies extremely well ... the copy looks really crisp & clear - almost better than the original ;-)

I fully support your idea to add coffee & soda stains... it won’t be the first time that I accenditaly got coffee on my paper.

I love this ink so much, I have 3 old bottles of it on account of Sailor moving to tiny bottles at the same price. Thank you for the review!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

While certainly a beautiful ink, Miruai, being darker, might be more easily sneaked into the office.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

While certainly a beautiful ink, Miruai, being darker, might be more easily sneaked into the office.

True. Though when I use a vintage fountain pen with those high flow ebonite feeds, Tokiwa Matsu comes out VERY dark, toward black.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I'm really happy that these reviews are getting the love that they are. It makes me feel like I am contributing to the community-at-large. Once the Tokiwa-Matsu is through my pens I'll move on to the next one.

Here's a list of the remaining samples, if you all have any wishes as to which comes next:

1. Sailor Sei-Boku
  2. Sailor Shigure
  3. Noodler's Legal Blue
  4. Noodler's Kung te-Cheng, and
  5. J. Herbin Caroube de Chypre

Trevor

Sei-Boku is going to be a predictably great performer on almost any paper, so I can spare you doing a review :lticaptd:

I'd personally love to see Sailor Shigure.