Mb 149 Expression Nib - Calligraphy?

admmarcos

I had considered the MB 149 Calligraphy for my next pen purchase, but have decided against. Yes, I am in the market for a new MB - but something I can use everyday. But I am not a flex nib type of writer. It would end up being used very rarely. I have a very light hand and few flex nibs that I have tried will even "flex" for me. But, that said, the pen is beautiful.

~ DrDebG:

Yes, it's a beautiful pen.

I've seen it several times in local Montblanc boutiques.

It's not quite the pen for me, but I'm delighted that so many have added it to theor writing desks where it's regularly used.

Tom K.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arcfide

• Tom Kellie

• Pravda

• max dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

~ mjchuang9:

If Montblanc told you that the Expression Nibs are “annual limited products” does that mean that they'll soon become unavailable in Montblanc boutiques?

In other words, is what's on offer now in boutiques the end of the production run?

Tom K.

~Tom:

Not only 149 flex but gold leaf have almost sold out. I think they are still available in 2020 though.

I can write with one calligraphy pen from EF to BB. And they are getting smoother day by day. I can live with flex only and I am not interested in other pens. Only one thing to be concerned is why MB produces calligraphy inks cannot be used in calligraphy pens.

Not only 149 flex but gold leaf have almost sold out. I think they are still available in 2020 though.

I can write with one calligraphy pen from EF to BB. And they are getting smoother day by day. I can live with flex only and I am not interested in other pens. Only one thing to be concerned is why MB produces calligraphy inks cannot be used in calligraphy pens.

~ mjchuang9:

Thank you for explaining the Expression Nib pen availability.

I have several friends who are currently considering both models.

If it's a nib which meets all of your writing needs, then it's ideal.

I'm sorry to know that the Montblanc Calligraphy Collection inks aren't suitable for your Expression Nibs.

Tom K.

fpn_1578228058__b30c8d39-b323-419a-84f1-

~ thewritingraven:

EDIT: Counting the grid squares I see that these nibs are actually the same length. I was underestimating the effect of the photo angle.

I would (still, however) very much appreciate if someone could post a comparison picture of a 149 flex and a normal 149 nib in the pen?

Edited by loganrah

~Tom:

I agree about them getting smoother by the day. I actually have both the Gold Leaf and the 149 and both were scratchy when i first inked them. Now they are both much smoother and very much in line with most current MB pens in terms of nib smoothness. What I found interesting is that while the tip width on the two pens is different, they both end up creating similar line widths (from un-flexed to flexed). The golf leaf is much heavier but I kind of like the nib better, while the 149 is lighter and more "alive" and agile.

Edited by oldrifleman

Vlad, thanks for the pic.

I'm very happy with my 149 Calligraphy and think the nib looks pretty good, but I wonder how much prettier it could have been as a two-tone nib.

I've read most (all?) of this thread, but I don't recall if anyone posted a side-by-side picture of a 146 calligraphy and a 149 calligraphy.

I agree about them getting smoother by the day. I actually have both the Gold Leaf and the 149 and both were scratchy when i first inked them. Now they are both much smoother and very much in line with most current MB pens in terms of nib smoothness. What I found interesting is that while the tip width on the two pens is different, they both end up creating similar line widths (from un-flexed to flexed). The golf leaf is much heavier but I kind of like the nib better, while the 149 is lighter and more "alive" and agile.

~ oldrifleman:

Your comparison of writing with both of them is helpful.

Thank you for posting this.

Tom K.

fpn_1578663304__a1734935-01ed-45e6-a531-

From left to right :

149 flex no2

149 flex no1

Gold leaf flex

Gold leaf M

I have two 149 flex. No2 has a bit wider tip than no1 that makes it write more smoothly. I don't know why no2 is much softer too.

Unlike the EF like tip of 149 flex the tip of GL flex looks like BB. GL flex is much harder to flex that's the reason to explain the situation.

I like both. GL flex is interesting but I prefer 149 flex because it is agile.

I put calligraphy yellow gold ink in GL M nib.

From left to right :

149 flex no2

149 flex no1

Gold leaf flex

Gold leaf M

I have two 149 flex. No2 has a bit wider tip than no1 that makes it write more smoothly. I don't know why no2 is much softer too.

Unlike the EF like tip of 149 flex the tip of GL flex looks like BB. GL flex is much harder to flex that's the reason to explain the situation.

Thanks, mjchuang9.

~ mjchuang9:

It's a welcome addition to this thread to see a comparison handwriting sample.

Thank you so much for taking time to prepare and post the photograph and information.

For those of us who don't write with any of the Expression Nibs, it's useful to see this.

Tom K.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I went looking for discussion after I randomly stopped by a Montblanc boutique today and discovered this nib. It seems like they're giving some conflicting information-- the saleslady who let me try the pen today told me Montblanc would fit the nib on purchases of non-149 models (so I assume these nibs are swappable into other pens. I believe the tester I was holding was a 146, also), though it was for some absurd price like 1500$.

I'm not sure if the saleslady was just confused-- she seemed to forget which hand was her dominant hand twice haha-- or if this is actually true. It was quite a nice nib overall.

I think it’s a technical issue .. this is part of the reply I received from their very helpful customer services..

‘It would be our pleasure to assist you in replacing the nib of your Montblanc 149. Please note, in this respect, that a "flex nib" is integral part of writing instruments such as the one described at https://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/collection/writing-instruments/meisterstueck/119699-meisterstueck-resin-yg-flex-nib.html and cannot be fitted on your 149.

If you would like to go ahead and have an alternative nib installed on your 149, please take your writing instrument to one of our Montblanc boutiques or authorized retailers.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I went looking for discussion after I randomly stopped by a Montblanc boutique today and discovered this nib. It seems like they're giving some conflicting information-- the saleslady who let me try the pen today told me Montblanc would fit the nib on purchases of non-149 models (so I assume these nibs are swappable into other pens. I believe the tester I was holding was a 146, also), though it was for some absurd price like 1500$.

I'm not sure if the saleslady was just confused-- she seemed to forget which hand was her dominant hand twice haha-- or if this is actually true. It was quite a nice nib overall.

~ aimi:

Thank you for this information.

During your conversation with the Montblanc boutique saleslady, did she happen to mention the term ‘Bespoke’?

If she did, then that might account for her comments about possible preparing of a Montblanc flex nib for other models.

I'm glad that you liked the Expression Nib.

Tom K.

...I have two 149 flex. No2 has a bit wider tip than no1 that makes it write more smoothly. I don't know why no2 is much softer too....

It would be very interesting if 149 calligraphy nib owners would measure their nibs' tips with a caliper and post the results here. I'm curious about the variation of width in millimeters that we can expect from these factory nibs. I can see me asking a boutique to bring all it has in stock for me to compare under a loupe.

post-11154-0-70696900-1579372716_thumb.jpg

It would be very interesting if 149 calligraphy nib owners would measure their nibs' tips with a caliper and post the results here. I'm curious about the variation of width in millimeters that we can expect from these factory nibs. I can see me asking a boutique to bring all it has in stock for me to compare under a loupe.

attachicon.gif nib and calliper IMG_4464.jpg

I can tell you that I tried a few of the nibs in the store that I was at and found that they had significant initial variation and the like. However, I strongly suspect that as the nibs "break-in" some of this variation will go away. I'm finding this to be the case with my own model. Granted, I do a lot of writing with mine, so it could take some time, but I've found that mine has grown smoother and softer over time and that the line is dropping just a little more ink and width than when brand new. This is in keeping with most of the other nibs I tested there.

I took a micro meter to the nib and I got something that was definitely more than 0.5mm, but less than 0.75mm, and I'd say probably closer to 0.6mm - 0.635mm. Depending on where on the tip you want to measure, I'd say that 0.6 - 0.65mm would be a good range.

Hi Tom,

She actually did not use the term "bespoke," but instead said that you could buy another pen model with the nib fitted on it for the additional 1500$. Again, not sure if she was misspeaking or if I misunderstood!

~ aimi:

Thank you for this information.

During your conversation with the Montblanc boutique saleslady, did she happen to mention the term ‘Bespoke’?

If she did, then that might account for her comments about possible preparing of a Montblanc flex nib for other models.

I'm glad that you liked the Expression Nib.

Tom K.

Hi Tom,

She actually did not use the term "bespoke," but instead said that you could buy another pen model with the nib fitted on it for the additional 1500$. Again, not sure if she was misspeaking or if I misunderstood!

~ aimi:

I'm completely unfamiliar with any aspect of Montblanc pricing issues in the United States or elsewhere.

Nevertheless, what the lady mentioned to you is reasonable, if she was referring to Montblanc's Bespoke Nib Program.

Within reason, Montblanc's highly skilled Bespoke Nib Team is able to craft nibs of great refinement to fit most contemporary fountain pen models.

It may have been that she didn't misspeak and you didn't misunderstand.

Tom K.

~ aimi:

I'm completely unfamiliar with any aspect of Montblanc pricing issues in the United States or elsewhere.

Nevertheless, what the lady mentioned to you is reasonable, if she was referring to Montblanc's Bespoke Nib Program.

Within reason, Montblanc's highly skilled Bespoke Nib Team is able to craft nibs of great refinement to fit most contemporary fountain pen models.

It may have been that she didn't misspeak and you didn't misunderstand.

Tom K.

I think the main expression nib and the gold leaf model are in the $1000 - $2000 range in some places.