Which Indian Fountain Pen Would You Write A Novel With?

MuddyWaters

The Model 5 from Ranga is really the only choice you have if you're looking at their lineup and want something big and comfortable, unless you go for the "giant" 9B. But it too has a step from barrel to section. Ranga loves their steps

IMHO, the perfect "novel writing pen" is the Bexley Prometheus. I just love how big and fat it is, without being egregious. No pen I own is more comfy to hold, and I'm lucky to have one in Ebonite. You can likely snag one on Ebay for around the price of a custom Ranga, but it wouldn't be eyedropper, so I guess that rules it out for you.

One of these days I should send my spare Prometheus to Ranga and have them fabricate one entirely in Ebonite with a #8 nib. No pen on Earth would then be more perfect.

Just saw your post. I'm contemplating a model 5 but am afraid of the stepdown. Ranga also makes what looks like a massive model called the majestic, which doesn't have a stepdown. Its not in the current group buy though.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MuddyWaters

• sansenri

• Karmachanic

• JollyCynic

Just saw your post. I'm contemplating a model 5 but am afraid of the stepdown. Ranga also makes what looks like a massive model called the majestic, which doesn't have a stepdown. Its not in the current group buy though.

The step-down issue is a bit of a "catch-22" for Ranga: if you want a single, uniform curvature along the pen when capped (no step up between barrel and cap), this necessitates a 'step' between barrel and grip section (the Model 4 and 4C are examples of this, as are the sugarcane and bamboo pens - and of course the Model 5). If you want the grip section to have essentially the same diameter as the barrel, the cap needs to have a larger diameter to sit over the top e.g. Model 3 and 3C, Models 8 and 8B).

My experience with the pens that have a large step-up between grip section and barrel is that Ranga tends to make the grip sections *longer* - so that the step is further away from the point where your fingers grip the pen. I *don't* find the step intrusive for that reason, on *any* of my Ranga pens - but that's a subjective thing, your experience may be different.

All the best deciding what works for you!

I finally got around to taking some pics of some ergonomic holds to show some personal preferences. I use Bobo's forefinger up approach as I was never able to use the tripod without death gripping (too many years of ballpoint use, and I have larger hands [not humongous but not small]. I've taken 12 pictures and uploaded them. The only way I know how shows the pictures at the end of the post. Apologies for the scaly hands - it is winter here - and other cosmetic defects.

Index:

Pictures 1-2 = Wing Sung 6359 (Al Star copy)

Pictures 3-4 = Faber Castell Loom

Pictures 5-6 = Faber Castell E-motion

Pictures 7-10 = Ranga Model 3C

Pictures 11-12 = Wing Sung 698 (Twsbi Eco copy)

Starting with the Wing Sung 6359 photo 1, shows first the pen barrel end resting in the crease between the thumb and index. The pen is long enough to rest comfortably there and at the middle finger distal joint, with a relaxed hand in between. Photo 2 shows that I actually don't use the facets of the trademark Safari grip, and rather rest the index in the middle of the facets. This leads to a wider section, and because the pen is long enough, I can hold it securely at the crease.

The Loom is a similar story. It is long enough. Rests securely. Forefinger up position engages well. The section is more slippery which is a comfort knock on this pen; however I appreciate that this is one of the entry level pens that has a wider section.

The E-motion is actually an exception to the rule. You can tell in picture 6 that the pen lacks a bit of length to rest securely in the crease of the hand, and the small nib also limits the space under the pen for writing at the shallower angle of the forefinger up approach. However, this pen is still very comfortable, in the tripod position, because the section is very meaty, and the pen weight is distributed divinely. This material is also not slippery at all.

The Ranga is the pen in question. What I point out may only be felt by me and the differences are a little subtle. You can see in the first picture that the pen rests in the crease. However the barrel is quite chunky compared to the section that tapers quite dramatically. The minimal diameter of the section is actually quite small. If you compare that to the e-motion section, which is short, the angle is more dramatic on the model 3. That is poor ergonomic design in my opinion.

Compare that the upside down way of holding it. If the pen was designed in reverse way, it would be very secure in the crease, and the section would be chunkier and more secure for forefinger-up position.

I added the Wing Sung 698 because it has a similar quickly tapering section. The barrel is a little less chunky though so it holds more securely at the crease. However, it is not ideal.

post-129907-0-96483600-1552145752_thumb.jpg

post-129907-0-67756300-1552145771_thumb.jpg

post-129907-0-85754200-1552145780_thumb.jpg

post-129907-0-91464000-1552145787_thumb.jpg

post-129907-0-42146000-1552145802_thumb.jpg

post-129907-0-99275100-1552145809_thumb.jpg

post-129907-0-04874900-1552145819_thumb.jpg

post-129907-0-30912100-1552145827_thumb.jpg

post-129907-0-13107400-1552145835_thumb.jpg

post-129907-0-98561000-1552145843_thumb.jpg

post-129907-0-87713400-1552145853_thumb.jpg

post-129907-0-01653400-1552145862_thumb.jpg

[i posted the above separately in case I wanted to reference it in the future.]

Now, I am trying to give it real rational ergonomic thought, as the impulse to buy beautiful, amazingly crafted pens is almost irresistible.

The current group buy has two options, the no-step down Model 3 and the big chunky Model 5.

The Model 5 is an absolutely beautiful pen. To be honest, for aesthetic reasons alone I may get one, and while I am at it I would try the bakul finish as it apparently is quite comfortable.

A thick section is better than a thin one more. However, comfort wise, I wonder if the section is relatively too narrow for the width of the barrel at the crease of the hand. I have learned that in ergonomics it is more a matter of proportions than absolute sizes, though my preference is for thicker sections.

The other issue I am trying to parse from FPN posters' pictures is if the rate of tapering is similar on the model 5 as the model 3. I am sure Ranga could make some modifications (eg. perhaps more gentle taper vs giant bamboo section, which is wider than the 8B section).

The other option, Model 3, would involve a section modification. Either a more gentle taper, or like Mr. Sanseri had asked in a previous groupbuy: model 8B section.

For my own urges right now, I am hoping for a bigger pen so the Model 5 is more in contention. Feel free to discuss and thanks for reading.

Interestingly, I emailed them about the Majestic yesterday. There's no group buy planned for them in the near future, which is at least four months. I'm probably going to order one anyway (as I'd rather have the pen I want than one that's available) but yet haven't decided between the Majestic or its smaller sibling the Emperor.

Interestingly, I emailed them about the Majestic yesterday. There's no group buy planned for them in the near future, which is at least four months. I'm probably going to order one anyway (as I'd rather have the pen I want than one that's available) but yet haven't decided between the Majestic or its smaller sibling the Emperor.

Where did you see it available? I do not see it on ebay or the rangapens website. I would also consider this pen instead of the model 5, though I'm bummed that the last majestic group buy had the pen available only in Bock nib version which is even more expensive.

edit: Actually it is available on ebay.com (but not ebay.ca). The majestic is 92$US. If you want a cheaper big pen, the GAMA supreme is similar shape and size I believe. I have one on order that i hope will get here soon. I can let you know how it is when it gets here.

In the meantime I will see if the model 5 can come with a majestic section.

Edited by MuddyWaters

... If you want a cheaper big pen, the GAMA supreme is similar shape and size I believe. I have one on order that i hope will get here soon. I can let you know how it is when it gets here.

In the meantime I will see if the model 5 can come with a majestic section.

I wanted to thank you for this suggestion. I've been looking at the Supreme since your post, and I'm quite interested in it. It doesn't have the nibs I'm looking for, but that's not always a deal breaker. Much appreciated.

I wanted to thank you for this suggestion. I've been looking at the Supreme since your post, and I'm quite interested in it. It doesn't have the nibs I'm looking for, but that's not always a deal breaker. Much appreciated.

I'd be happy to give you some detailed feedback when I get it. I'm not 100% convinced the build quality and nib will be top notch but I can let you know.

It takes #6 nibs and has an ebonite feed you can heat-set.

It's such a big pen I put one of my boldest nibs in it:

yycjJJH.jpg

Compared to some other Indian eyedroppers from ASA/Gama/Ranga:

Au9ryuD.jpg

And just for fun, compared to the Japan Jumbo:

EIoeKRr.jpg

I really like the Gama Supreme now, but initially I thought it was too girthy. I think having a nib proportionate to the pen helps. Maybe a 1.9 stub?

Thank you for the wonderful pictures! Not only am I drooling over the Gama Supreme now (well-balanced with that nib), but I think I ought to stop looking at that lineup before things get expensive.

It takes #6 nibs and has an ebonite feed you can heat-set.

It's such a big pen I put one of my boldest nibs in it:

yycjJJH.jpg

Compared to some other Indian eyedroppers from ASA/Gama/Ranga:

Au9ryuD.jpg

And just for fun, compared to the Japan Jumbo:

EIoeKRr.jpg

I really like the Gama Supreme now, but initially I thought it was too girthy. I think having a nib proportionate to the pen helps. Maybe a 1.9 stub?

Your collection is so stunning, I've seen your pictures on reddit too :) Where did you get a fude nib to use on your Gama and how does it feel? I've been wanting a fude nib and have been looking at the Sailor Fude for some time.

My old Varuna Gajendra (which I believe is now known as the Ranga Model 5?) would be the Indian FP I'd use to write a novel.

The best part is I'd only have to fill it once. :P

Happiness is an Indian ED!

My old Varuna Gajendra (which I believe is now known as the Ranga Model 5?) would be the Indian FP I'd use to write a novel.

The best part is I'd only have to fill it once. :P

I have a model 5 coming my way too :P

Come on shipping!

listen to Hari's advice, your quest should now target Deccan...

Maybe you should ask Hari to recommend a Deccan that CAN be found...

I'd be happy to follow the same advice... :)

I can surely recommend Deccan Advocate, as I find it to be the most comfortable to hold in my small collection, primarily because of the shape, size and maybe the feel of ebonite.

I am to understand that Author is not readily available.

Edited by mssethi

Where can Deccan found?

Deccan pen stores are a chain of family owned pen shops in the Indian city of Hyderabad. The best way to buy their pens is across the counter at their shop. You can utilise the personal attention and service.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Well I am not in India so I'll try to keep my ears open for any resellers of Deccan pens.

The Game Supreme arrived. I am still waiting for an ink bottle to fill it with. For now I have just been using it dipped. The nib is totally good: smooth, fine, doesn't drag. The pen is very thick throughout.

My biggest beef with it is that the threads are very sharp. It really is uncomfortable. I wish for a pen of this value that the threads would not be painful to use. I try to avoid them but every once in a while my middle finger ends up on them.

I have finally put ink into the mini Guider eye dropper I got from a recent group buy. It is a cute little pen.

ETA: I should have posted this in the What Indian Pen Are You Using Today thread. My bad.

Edited by Sinistral1

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.