Which Indian Fountain Pen Would You Write A Novel With?

MuddyWaters

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MuddyWaters

• sansenri

• hari317

• JollyCynic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This would be something extremely different from person to person. Depending on how big your hand is, how you hold your pen, at what angle you write with them, how much pressure you use, etc. Try a few and see?

Edited by steve50

We have no way of knowing what works best for you. The one you like best when not writing a novel would be a good place to start.

Indian pens are relatively inexpensive. Buy three or four with the characteristics you prefer. The 'one" will make itself known.

Good luck!!

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

It is true that this sounded like a recommend me a pen thread, and indeed partly it was, but I was wondering what all of yours were. I have a Ranga and just bought an ASA, so the experimenting for myself has begun. :)

listen to Hari's advice, your quest should now target Deccan...

Maybe you should ask Hari to recommend a Deccan that CAN be found...

I'd be happy to follow the same advice... :)

Edited by sansenri

PS

Muddy you said you have one Ranga.

Before adventuring in the more difficult search for a Deccan, you might want to check Ranga further.

Ranga has many models. Which do you have? is it ED? What nib does it use?

I have about 15 different Ranga, perhaps more, some of them are the same model in different finishes or filling systems.

The various models have different sizes and designs.

It's not unlikely that you may find the one that's comfortable for you, among the various models.

But it's important, as others have said, to know what makes a pen comfortable for you.

My main concern with pens is step-down barrel to section, due to the way I hold my pens.

A pen with a deep step is uncomfortable for me, and can become unbearable (I would never write a novel with it...given however that I don't write novels anyway...). Does that apply to you too?

Ranga 8, 8B, 3, 3C, Emperor have no step. Based on my judgment of what is comfortable I would advise trying one of these models.

What other aspects matter to you? This is not secondary.

Size?

Model 8B, 3, 3C and Emperor are very similar. Model 8B seems slightly more comfortable due to the hourglass section.

Model 8 is thinner, if you like a smaller width. Some find it too small. I find it just slightly small but very comfortable nonetheless.

Cost?

let's face it, quality and cost are usually proportional.

If you call for an Indian nib you can hardly expect it will behave like a Bock.

If you order an ED pen you are already ordering the cheapest filling system, but in my opinion with a Ranga you get the best!

The ED + ebonite feed works wonders with flow! (you may have a slightly less practical pen vs CC, but I find it worth it).

So if you are already reducing the overall expense with ED, why not shell out the extra 8-9$ (not a huge sum...) to get the best nib out there?

It's just a matter of saving up a little more...

Still cost related, but closely related to comfort: Ranga can custom modify your pens! The extra needed cost is not huge (again perhaps 9-10$)

I got a 3C with an 8B hourglass section, by just asking Mr. Kandan.

I've seen other custom modification, people who wanted shorter pens, modified sections, etc.

If you know what makes a pen more comfortable for you, you could ask Ranga to work on that.

Ranga pens are not dead cheap (but quality is on par to cost)..

If what you want is a $20-30 pen, then stay on Asa, Gama, etc.

If you can afford to save up to $60-70 then check Ranga further.

Happy hunting.

Edited by sansenri

Thanks for your response sansenri. There are a few priorities for me when purchasing pens (after trying very many Chinese and western hemisphere pens):

1) comfortable grip, including minimal step-down, wide grip, good pen material

2) nice feedback on the nib

My Ranga model 3C is a flawlessly made pen when it comes to material, but I did not like the extent to which the section tapers for the size of the barrel (disproportionate), and I am not a fan of the Jowo nib that came with it (too smooth). So there are a few things I'm doing in response to this:

1) Like I did by going the Chinese pen route, I am making less expensive purchases to experiment and see what I like. The truth is the Ranga experience discouraged me a little because of how much I paid for the pen. Ranga construction is awesome, but I have to know a little more about the ergonomics of bigger pens before shelling out again on a Ranga

2) I am open to trying Indian nibs, as I find Jowo nibs not to my liking. I'd rather try this on a cheaper pen at first. Admittedly, Bock is also an option, but again I'd like to be sure about shelling out

3) I decided to go with the eye dropper route, as I am growing tired of using converters, and wanted to use something different (I have too few eye-droppers in my collection).

Yesterday, I ordered an ASA Maya, as this pen was only $20 and appears to be decent size with a grip 12-13 mm in diameter without much tapering and comes with #6 Indian nib. However, I started to have doubts when I saw that there is the ASA Galactic also available for only $10 more, and was wondering whether I should contact Mr S to change the order. The Galactic is a gigantic pen with a section wide like my beloved Faber Castell e-motion, but it is not made of ebonite, and is quite long. Any thoughts on this?

I am still thinking about it.

In the end, going back to Ranga is definitely a possibility, but I have to test out a few pen sizes and make sure the purchase would come with a nib I enjoy at that price.

@Muddy Waters

I feel confident that the lovely people at Ranga would be happy to provide you with a different section to fit your existing pen, and your preference. So you may not need to buy another pen. Just the section.

#6 nibs are widely available.

Personally I'd take ebonite over acrylic every day of the week.

Add lightness and simplicate.

@Muddy Waters

I feel confident that the lovely people at Ranga would be happy to provide you with a different section to fit your existing pen, and your preference. So you may not need to buy another pen. Just the section.

#6 nibs are widely available.

Personally I'd take ebonite over acrylic every day of the week.

Thanks for your response and the suggestion to reach out to Ranga pens. I have emailed Mr Kandan to inquire about purchasing a replacement section with indian vs german nib threading and the costs involved.

I also am partial to ebonite and so for now I will keep my order to Mr S unchanged. :)

Thanks for your response sansenri. There are a few priorities for me when purchasing pens (after trying very many Chinese and western hemisphere pens):

1) comfortable grip, including minimal step-down, wide grip, good pen material

2) nice feedback on the nib

My Ranga model 3C is a flawlessly made pen when it comes to material, but I did not like the extent to which the section tapers for the size of the barrel (disproportionate), and I am not a fan of the Jowo nib that came with it (too smooth). So there are a few things I'm doing in response to this:

1) Like I did by going the Chinese pen route, I am making less expensive purchases to experiment and see what I like. The truth is the Ranga experience discouraged me a little because of how much I paid for the pen. Ranga construction is awesome, but I have to know a little more about the ergonomics of bigger pens before shelling out again on a Ranga

2) I am open to trying Indian nibs, as I find Jowo nibs not to my liking. I'd rather try this on a cheaper pen at first. Admittedly, Bock is also an option, but again I'd like to be sure about shelling out

3) I decided to go with the eye dropper route, as I am growing tired of using converters, and wanted to use something different (I have too few eye-droppers in my collection).

Yesterday, I ordered an ASA Maya, as this pen was only $20 and appears to be decent size with a grip 12-13 mm in diameter without much tapering and comes with #6 Indian nib. However, I started to have doubts when I saw that there is the ASA Galactic also available for only $10 more, and was wondering whether I should contact Mr S to change the order. The Galactic is a gigantic pen with a section wide like my beloved Faber Castell e-motion, but it is not made of ebonite, and is quite long. Any thoughts on this?

I am still thinking about it.

In the end, going back to Ranga is definitely a possibility, but I have to test out a few pen sizes and make sure the purchase would come with a nib I enjoy at that price.

noted your priorities Muddy

if you have a model 3 Ranga you already have a good comparison,

I'm not quite sure I understand your comment on the tapering section, would you say it becomes too thin for you?

Otherwise you may wish to look at the Emperor, which has a slightly wider section.

It's not too evident in this pic, but it is slightly wider perhaps 1 mm more.

fpn_1549819052__p1140567-3_ranga_emperor

also very true what Karmachanic mentions, Ranga is very flexible in their attitude, if you ask them for a replacemnt section for the model 3, wider size, they'll do it for you!

I have the Asa Maya too (forgot to mention) but Lord knows where I've put it... :rolleyes: so I can't give you a direct comparison at the moment...

by memory I would say it's similar size section to the Emperor, i.e. just slightly more than the Ranga 3.

The Gama Eyas section is slightly wider than the Ranga 3, but slightly thinner than the Ranga Emperor.

If you are looking for even wider, without exceeding cost, you may wish to check the Gama Hawk (which I don't have, but know to be bigger)

Both the Eyas and the Hawk have Indian nibs, and are ED system with ebonite feeds.

The nib is marked Gama and is stiffer than the Jowo/Bock on the Ranga, and also has more feedback (actually I prefer smooth nibs so I actually micromeshed mine! but you may be happy with it as it is)

Thanks Sansenri, the next update is that, preferring ebonite, I am considering the Gama Supreme instead of the Maya, especially since I asked Mr Kandan for a different section on the Ranga 3 which has a similar size as the Maya.

I emailed Mr S to delay crafting the Maya while I consider the options.

Ranga unfortunately told me that they could not make a new section without having the barrel with them. I think I will have to take this as a lesson learned.

Decided to change my order with ASA for a GAMA supreme, and waiting for a response. Can't wait to try a big ebonite pen!

Edited by MuddyWaters

Ranga unfortunately told me that they could not make a new section without having the barrel with them. I think I will have to take this as a lesson learned.

Decided to change my order with ASA for a GAMA supreme, and waiting for a response. Can't wait to try a big ebonite pen!

Since the parts are hand fitted and each section is made for its barrel and the threads are hand chased; They will need the original barrel to fabricate a new section for it.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Since the parts are hand fitted and each section is made for its barrel and the threads are hand chased; They will need the original barrel to fabricate a new section for it.

Indeed, but I am still eyeing Ranga as I truly respect their offers and workmanship. I am waiting for the next group buy of the model 8 and the majestic.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, but I am still eyeing Ranga as I truly respect their offers and workmanship. I am waiting for the next group buy of the model 8 and the majestic.

I would suggest you buy Model 5 if you are looking for supreme sized model of gama...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

The Model 5 from Ranga is really the only choice you have if you're looking at their lineup and want something big and comfortable, unless you go for the "giant" 9B. But it too has a step from barrel to section. Ranga loves their steps

IMHO, the perfect "novel writing pen" is the Bexley Prometheus. I just love how big and fat it is, without being egregious. No pen I own is more comfy to hold, and I'm lucky to have one in Ebonite. You can likely snag one on Ebay for around the price of a custom Ranga, but it wouldn't be eyedropper, so I guess that rules it out for you.

One of these days I should send my spare Prometheus to Ranga and have them fabricate one entirely in Ebonite with a #8 nib. No pen on Earth would then be more perfect.