Want To Know More About The Faber Castell Loom Before Buying It

kikopens

I already own a Lamy Safari fine which is around 2 years old and a Metropolitan fine which should be almost 1 year or so.

I have laid my eyes on the Faber Castell Loom for a while now. Just want to know about it a bit more.

I want to know the nib size of the fine and the medium sized nibs of the loom in comparison to the Safari.

And which type of ink I should use with the Loom. Any help is much appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpecTP

• kikopens

• penzel_washinkton

• DrDebG

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't own a safari.

The loom M is in the broad side of M Th enib is lovely.

So far, my Loom has taken any ink I could throw at it.

I've put glitter ink through my broad one - and it's cleaned up nicely.

Diamine ink goes through it well enough.

the Loom is an excellent pen. Simple, well made and the nibs are one of the better engineered and QC'd production, especially for EF and F sizes.

Don't own a safari.

The loom M is in the broad side of M Th enib is lovely.

So far, my Loom has taken any ink I could throw at it.

I've put glitter ink through my broad one - and it's cleaned up nicely.

Diamine ink goes through it well enough.

Then I think I should go for the Fine or EF ones as my writing is on the small side.

the Loom is an excellent pen. Simple, well made and the nibs are one of the better engineered and QC'd production, especially for EF and F sizes.

I heard that the M nib is butter-y smooth. How smooth is the F nib ?

My Loom is excellent with a very nice smooth fine nib. The line width is definitely a European F, and with a wetter ink can move toward the M. But it is a great pen. It is also heavier than the Safari so be prepared for that.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

My Loom is a F and it is in my opinion one of the smoothest Fine I have ever owned for pens under $50.

Also, I have the Safari Fine and comparing them both reveals that the line width they lay is more or less the same so I assume the M would be typical.

Get the F if you are comfortable with your Safari F, and the Loom has taken any ink I have given like a champ.

I consider it a wet writer.

Another consideration is that the uncapping requires more force than the Safari uncapping, one of the stiffest uncapping I have ever used.

Oh and don't forget about the metal grip section that might be slippery for some.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

the section on the Loom are plastic. At least on the new ones. I have some older ones with metal sections.

Edited by SpecTP

Since when was it changed to plastic? I got mine approximately in the last 6 months

no idea.. but my lime green and purple ones bought a year ago have plastic section

Since when was it changed to plastic? I got mine approximately in the last 6 months

I will double check it before buying.

Thanks to all for your valuable suggestions.

I can't compare the Loom to the Safari or Metropolitan, but I like the Loom enough to own three of them, with another on the way. All the nibs are great, and interchangeable among pens in the Faber-Castell Design range. I have the EF, M and B, too – felt like I wanted them all, as they're all so good – but I particularly like my F nib, which I have in an Ondoro rather than a Loom. It may also have something to do with the higher-priced pen, which feels better in my hand than the Loom, but right now I reckon my handwriting looks better using that than any other pen.

Ink ... I've used Noodler's Blue-Black, Visconti Blue, Graf von Faber-Castell Cobalt Blue. Very different inks, but all have played nicely with the Looms. They're quite wet nibs, though, and from an M nib the Noodler's Blue-Black put down an intense line that took impractically long to dry. Maybe it does that with other pens, too, but I couldn't say. It's irritating because I like the colour.

Downsides ... the section is a bit weird and my fingers sometimes aren't sure where to grip it. The section on the Piano version has a better gripping surface than the metallic version. The cap of the metallic Loom (I only have one, so it may just be mine, but I've heard similar reports on here) is really tough to pull off. Annoyingly so. And it hasn't improved after a couple of months. So I'd recommend getting the Piano. It looks better too.

You can post them but I tend not to, as the bottom of the cap ends up in a position where it irritates the skin between my thumb and index finger. No such problem with the Ondoro.

I haven't see any plastic sections. My most recent Loom, ordered a couple of weeks ago (in Germany) had the usual metal section.

In general, good pens and great nibs for the price.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.