Npd - New Moonman M2 Unboxing And Review - Youtube

drathbun

I received my new Moonman M2 eyedropper fountain pen today. I spent the afternoon unboxing, disassembling, cleaning and filling the pen with my new bottle of Iroshizuku Yama-Budo ink. I made a video throughout the process and did a writing sample at the end. I have just finished making the video and have uploaded it to my YouTube channel.

Please take a look and tell me what you think! This is my first eyedropper and I was very excited to see how the beautiful magenta ink would behave in this pen!

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drathbun

• bobje

• MuddyWaters

• Lomi

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Really detailed photography of a lovely pen. Beautiful ink choice. Thank you for investing your time and expertise to create this video review.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I liked the music and great taste in ink choice.

Thanks, Muddy! I've admired the Yama-Budo for a while and the Moonman M2 just cried out for it. I'm pleased that the Yama-Budo looks so beautiful and magenta in the bottle and in the demonstrator but when you lay it down and it dries, it isn't "in your face pink". It is a perfectly acceptable writing ink.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

I received my new Moonman M2 eyedropper fountain pen today. I spent the afternoon unboxing, disassembling, cleaning and filling the pen with my new bottle of Iroshizuku Yama-Budo ink. I made a video throughout the process and did a writing sample at the end. I have just finished making the video and have uploaded it to my YouTube channel.

Please take a look and tell me what you think! This is my first eyedropper and I was very excited to see how the beautiful magenta ink would behave in this pen!

Beautiful pen and ink choice for it, would be cool to have it in M100 dark rose model.

If you need suggestions and critique here it is:

Slow paced review (nothing bad in that) but slightly faster one would be better imo.

The sound balance was off in this video, all sounds was coming from right channel where in your past 2 reviews it was balanced and coming from both right and left, dunno what causes this but I guess it can be easily fixed. Also the volume with which you record is relatively low in comparison to other videos on youtube and to what I usually used to, that’s causes me to turn volume higher and always adjust it when I leave (not the best in terms of user experience), + the higher I turn it to hear you - the better I hear your PC fan or something similar, so try to check “How to boost microphone volume” usually 10-20dB boost is what people missing and it’s enough to make a miracle.

The music in video is really a nice touch and in this one it’s pretty balanced, where in past video about Delike New Moon 3 I could barely hear it, so + on that. But if you going to increase your voice volume - music volume should be adjusted too.

Beautiful shots and camera quality, also good angle on writing sample, so again + on that

Light balance another thing on which you could improve, to me it feels like you sitting at 2-4am without any light on and only with your monitor turned on, exaggerated ofc but that’s how it feels, having some room light or sun light would be cool. You have nice direct light to the area where you shoot but that’s not enough imo, this overall dark atmosphere around doesn’t make for a good pen or ink demonstration, it can be improved and your light flashes the paper sometimes.

Also this black toolbox liner mat isn’t the best background either, it’s neutral and doesn’t grab attention to much but without proper light it’s only makes this dark atmosphere worse, I feel like you can try to use neutral colored piece of table cloth in sepia, brown, beige or similar colors, maybe wood of your table will be just fine, of course there always fear of getting it dirty, but from watching your video I feel like you are pretty prepared person and know how to refill your pens without spilling.

So work on this small things and your videos might improve.

And take all of this with grain of salt, I just felt like I need to share, so it’s up to you to decide what to do anyway.

Beautiful pen and ink choice for it, would be cool to have it in M100 dark rose model.

If you need suggestions and critique here it is:

Slow paced review (nothing bad in that) but slightly faster one would be better imo.

The sound balance was off in this video, all sounds was coming from right channel where in your past 2 reviews it was balanced and coming from both right and left, dunno what causes this but I guess it can be easily fixed. Also the volume with which you record is relatively low in comparison to other videos on youtube and to what I usually used to, that’s causes me to turn volume higher and always adjust it when I leave (not the best in terms of user experience), + the higher I turn it to hear you - the better I hear your PC fan or something similar, so try to check “How to boost microphone volume” usually 10-20dB boost is what people missing and it’s enough to make a miracle.

The music in video is really a nice touch and in this one it’s pretty balanced, where in past video about Delike New Moon 3 I could barely hear it, so + on that. But if you going to increase your voice volume - music volume should be adjusted too.

Beautiful shots and camera quality, also good angle on writing sample, so again + on that

Light balance another thing on which you could improve, to me it feels like you sitting at 2-4am without any light on and only with your monitor turned on, exaggerated ofc but that’s how it feels, having some room light or sun light would be cool. You have nice direct light to the area where you shoot but that’s not enough imo, this overall dark atmosphere around doesn’t make for a good pen or ink demonstration, it can be improved and your light flashes the paper sometimes.

Also this black toolbox liner mat isn’t the best background either, it’s neutral and doesn’t grab attention to much but without proper light it’s only makes this dark atmosphere worse, I feel like you can try to use neutral colored piece of table cloth in sepia, brown, beige or similar colors, maybe wood of your table will be just fine, of course there always fear of getting it dirty, but from watching your video I feel like you are pretty prepared person and know how to refill your pens without spilling.

So work on this small things and your videos might improve.

And take all of this with grain of salt, I just felt like I need to share, so it’s up to you to decide what to do anyway.

Thanks for the input, Lomarion!

These are the first few videos I've made about pens. I mostly record guitar related videos. I have a basement studio/office with no windows.

I just switched my video editor to DaVinci Resolve and although I like it, I'm still getting used to how it processes things. I also, for the first time, tried to use the mic on my bluetooth earphones rather than the iPhone's mic for input. It is really picking up the humidifiers I have running in my studio (for my solid wood acoustic guitars). When I record music, I either use the guitar's pickup or my Rode NT1a medium diaphragm condenser mic and then process. I'll check out what DaVinci has in the way of audio processing to help improve the sound.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm just having fun with this and have no intentions on being the next Matt Armstrong. So my lights are what they are and my desk is what it is (black glass top) but I will keep seeing ways of making things better. :)

Edited by drathbun

- William Thackeray