My Third Estie (In Less Than A Week!) - Dollar Pen

howdydave

The LJ is slightly thinner than the J and is just a tad longer, hence the "L", longer by about the thickness of the trim ring and jewel.

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• corgicoupe

• howdydave

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got ANOTHER Estie!

This one is an LJ.

Now I have a:

Dollar Pen A

Trans J

SJ and

LJ.

These are all different sizes. Do you have a preference for any particular size?

Now that I have all of the options (I also have a J,) my favorite is the Transitional J.

Edited by howdydave

David A. Naess

Realization of the vastness of one's own ignorance

is the first step on the road to true wisdom.

-- Adi Shankara

Why so?

Robert Frost

I like the look of the Transitional J and the way it fits my hand.

David A. Naess

-- Adi Shankara

I like the look of the Transitional J and the way it fits my hand.

What you said. It also has (for me) the best balance.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Best balance posted or unposted? I do agree that it looks cleaner without the body jewel. I wonder why they added it?

Robert Frost

I like the toaster jewel much better than the concentric circle jewel too.

David A. Naess

-- Adi Shankara

Best balance posted or unposted? I do agree that it looks cleaner without the body jewel. I wonder why they added it?

For me, unposted if I'm writing quick-n-dirty, otherwise, posted.

The barrel jewel took the model J out of the "transitional" or quasi deco state, and finished it off to streamline both ends. It's also got pretty good balance (for me).

Sheaffer went through a similar metamorphosis; from boxy deco to a flat-end barrel with a tapered cap, to the tapered-on-both-ends Balance pens;though they did it without the jewels.

Seems they were following the general trend of pen models (like the Parker 51) to break out of deco and go slick ....

Edited by Hobiwan

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Add me to the crowd that prefers the trans J models. I just prefer the more distinctive look, and I also find the balance just a bit better. Of course, even better are the Visumasters .

• 1 month later...

Here I am, trying to catch up: just ordered a second SJ. I also have 2 replacement nibs, a 2556 and a 9556. Does this mean 2.5 pens? Probably not.

At any rate, the SJ is just right for my hand, and reminds me a lot of another pen I really enjoy, the Pilot Prera.

Something I was wondering was how strong the 2556 nib is. I don't use much pressure at all when I write. I pushed down a little on the 2556 I have in my SJ after a hard start, and caused one of the tines to crease a little. I was able to fix it so that it still writes well, but I didn't expect this. Thoughts? BTW, I am not at all trying to flex this nib to write.

There's really no need to press the nib to the paper like with a ballpoint. Very few of the Esterbrook nibs are very flexible so they will write with just the weight of the pen. If you get a hard start, wipe the top surface of the nib to get ink flowing or have a wet paper towel at the ready,

Robert Frost

I think it must have been an old habit resurfacing, though I'm fortunate I was able to recover the nib. I'll be more mindful in the future.

Add me to the crowd that prefers the trans J models. I just prefer the more distinctive look, and I also find the balance just a bit better. Of course, even better are the Visumasters .

The transitional J pens have cooler barrel ends. The only one I have left has a 14K Sheaffer Snorkel nib in it. It feels beautiful but a bit odd.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 month later...

I remember now, about Gary. I have visited your shop online.

I posted I had one J, but I have 3 J (two transitional) and one SJ. I bought a 2442 nib from speerbob on eBay, and paired it with a gray transitional J.

Esterbrook had a lot of nibs. Can anyone tell me which one gives the best line variation? I like to see the thins and thicks, like a crisp italic.

Posted Image

Esterbrook nibs, as has been stated above, aren't particularly flexible. What they call flex is pretty mild. For line variation, you're better off with the relief nibs, and you'll probably find the better results with the 2314-M or 9314-M nibs. There are also the italic nibs, 3312 and 9312, but those are a little harder to find.

I also find that some of the wartime nibs, the ones I call teardrop nibs, have a little flex and variation to them, which I attribute to their longer and narrower profile.

fpn_1476713600__esterbrook_9668_nibs_1.j

Why the difference in the two sections?

Robert Frost

Still, yes I can still be enabled by Esterbrook threads. I was looking at nibs, but a blue Estie was there with a 2314-M nib. Starting bid $7.99, with a sac that has bounce, but sold as is.

I rationalized that the nib was worth the maximum bid I put in. It got bid up at the last by $10, so with shipping the Blue J will be $20 plus change.

But that isnt all because I also bid on a black LJ with Bell Systems Property on it. If I win, the Esterbrooks fill holes in color and size.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

I wonder if anyone here got the red LJ Bell Systems pen. I never saw one, and work distracted me from grabbing it.

Thank you for the information Gary. Now I am doubly happy to have won the auction for the blue J with 2314-M nib.

Posted Image