Mb149 Piston Spindle Replacement

viju

Hi,

I bought one MB149 with 14K two tone nib and split ebonite feed. But it came with a broken spindle. I unscrewed the piston assembly and everything except the spindle looks good. Made an order for a replacement spindle from custompenparts, UK . There is some part of the spindle (just around 5mm in length) and the spindle head inside the con. I need to pull this out and the C ring. I tried to pull this out using a nose pliers but it will not work and i think using too much force might damage the con. I am sure that some of you have done this before and looking for your suggestions on this.

Thanks in advance

post-123247-0-85591500-1549182349_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stoen

• fountainbel

• Custom Pen Parts

• viju

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi viju

There are two methods I've seen mentioned on this site. One involves using a small drill to bore a hole just inside the C-ring so that you can use a small hook to pull it out. The other uses a drill through the centre of the star so that the spindle head and C-ring can be driven out. This leaves a hole that needs to be filled.

Thanks to Paul Raposo and Fountainbel, both were described in the same thread in more detail here https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/276873-another-d-i-y-149-repair-pictorial/?do=findComment&comment=3162375 and here https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/276873-another-d-i-y-149-repair-pictorial/?do=findComment&comment=3164099 but sadly the photos are now missing.

Hope this helps.

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

Thank you Rowbo for the links. Though the pictures are not available, the thread provide a detailed idea of what can be done. The method used by Francis is just beyond my capabilities but I will try my luck with a drill bit.

Just remembered, you will need a tube of the correct inside and outside diameters to push the C-ring back in (after the new spindle). The inside diameter needs to be just large enough to fit over the spindle and the outside diameter just small enough to fit inside the knob at least as far as the C-ring groove. Some have drilled/filed a cheap plastic ballpoint body to make the tube. I was lucky enough to find a tube the right size. The C-ring might require re-shaping after you have pulled it out. It makes an audible click when it snaps into its groove. Good luck. Let us know how you get on (new photos would be welcome).

I bought a 3mm drill bit and drilled a hole on the spindle head just enough to go something under the C ring. Then i bent the tip of a pointed tweezers and made it like a hook and pulled the C ring out. It was a bit more difficult than i thought but i was able to do it without making any damage. I tried to reinsert the new spindle and C ring with a couple of plastic tubes but it didn’t work. I had to find an empty Jotter refill and as mentioned in the thread and it is the best tool to get the C ring in place. Once again thank you Rowbo and Paul Raposo for sharing your experience, without your thread it wouldn’t have been possible for me. I am happy to have the pen back in working condition.

post-123247-0-77202600-1549599059_thumb.jpg

post-123247-0-36437200-1549599072_thumb.jpg

post-123247-0-05068200-1549599090_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Having to tackle this job myself now. Bought a 149 filler knob with a broken helical still attached in it.

The prospect of attempting replacing a broken helix by drilling holes or poking inside the cap has possibly put off some MB users trying a repair.

As you may be aware i have been making helixes for a while how and i am pleased to say that many pens have been saved by using them.

As a follow on to help with this repair, i am trying to make the whole process a lot easier to do in a non damaging simple manner using a unique tool i have designed.

But......

In order to ensure that my tool is universal, i would like your help. If you have any 146/149

turning caps in any condition (including cracked) with or without the dreaded "C" washer as well as broken helixes i would appreciate if you could send them to me for me to establish compatibility.

I am sorry but i would not be able to return any bits you send but your help is for a good cause

Thanks

Roger

• 1 month later...

Great info and pictures! I am debating tackling this on a 149 I'm considering purchasing. I'd go the 3 mm drill route absent that magical tool that's being developed. But (assuming I'm successful) where does one obtain a replacement spindle?

Absent that, are there individuals that repair broken spindles? The pen is older and I would not want to send it in to Montblanc to have the entire pen replaced (sans nib and clip).

Similar or even same issue. I was given a c1960s resin MB 149. The filler knob threads are plastic, and there are no notches for removing the filler, so it appears to be a friction fit version. Reviewing how to date the pens (Pentrace article #405), it also appears to have a 1960s style feed. The back knob simply screws off, and I can see part of the white plastic helix attached to it. I see no evidence of any helical spindle inside. I would prefer to send it to someone for repair. Any suggestions who I can contact for repair services, and can anyone estimate the cost of the repair to help me determine if it is worth it to me?

Edited by Greenie

Great info and pictures! I am debating tackling this on a 149 I'm considering purchasing. I'd go the 3 mm drill route absent that magical tool that's being developed. But (assuming I'm successful) where does one obtain a replacement spindle?

Absent that, are there individuals that repair broken spindles? The pen is older and I would not want to send it in to Montblanc to have the entire pen replaced (sans nib and clip).

New spindles from custompenparts.co.uk

Go for the white peek version if they are in stock as they are much stronger than the standard black, not that there is anything wrong with the black one, just that the peek one is much stronger.

Paul

• 6 months later...

Today I just did replace another broken spindle...

I would like to add that the C-ring is used on newer models only. The very early resin 149s with the friction fit filler do not use a C-ring to secure the spindle but a little metal socket which pushes into place. The metal socket looks like a small metal can with a hole in the bottom...

Replacement spindles and sockets can be taken e.g. from broken Montblanc 12, 22, 32,... pens.

Maybe you get the idea from my amateurish sketch below ;-)

49346702086_ceeb724a75_o.jpgIMG_7628 by pensninks, auf Flickr

Again a small drill can be used to drill out the remaining of the broken spindle and a matching thread tab (or even screw) to pull out the socket.

Cheers

Michael

• 1 month later...

I have a question, how much force does it take to remove the c ring? does it take a bit of effort when you hook to pull it out?

• 2 months later...

Just remembered, you will need a tube of the correct inside and outside diameters to push the C-ring back in (after the new spindle). The inside diameter needs to be just large enough to fit over the spindle and the outside diameter just small enough to fit inside the knob at least as far as the C-ring groove. Some have drilled/filed a cheap plastic ballpoint body to make the tube. I was lucky enough to find a tube the right size. The C-ring might require re-shaping after you have pulled it out. It makes an audible click when it snaps into its groove. Good luck. Let us know how you get on (new photos would be welcome).

my tool. Works great

75ED2477-20AA-4B35-A740-3D387FD1F299.jpeg

Edited by raivtash

Bravo raivtash.

It has just occurred to me that, if he were willing and it was worth his while, Roger from Custom Pen Parts could supply a tube with each new spindle, or separately, to aid in reinserting that C-ring. I see he is now supplying an extraction tool.

A support to hold the knob whilst inserting the C-ring could be useful too. I fear I ask too much.

No affiliation etc.

my tool. Works great

Well done. For the uninitiated, can you go into a bit more detail on what parts you used and the specifics to create your tool?