Penbbs 380 - Spiral Facets Metal Pen

taike

I forgot that I left mine inked and it sat for 2 months untouched.

wrote instantly, converter still full.

Cap seal is damn good.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• JonSzanto

• penzel_washinkton

• taike

Thanks EDC, I'll give it a go.

Just tried it - it worked! Luckily it wasn't too far out of alignment. Now all I need to do is get rid of the scratch from the clip.... (loose top meant it slipped and scratched the cap, but I can live with than more than the facets not lining up.) I've got the silver one and I'm much happier with it now.

Thank you.

Edited by Purplecate

• 6 months later...

I bought one in silver and absoluterly loved it! Unfortunately I must have over-tightened the cap and the facets went out of alignment. Sent it back for a refund. Otherise - fabulous pen. May get another!

This pen will always experience misalignment in the facets since there is no mechanism to avoid the over-tightening (be it accidental or not)

This pen will always experience misalignment in the facets since there is no mechanism to avoid the over-tightening (be it accidental or not)

My pen closes completely at precisely the point where the facets are lined up. If I'm just lucky, so be it, but i don't expect it to change.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

My pen closes completely at precisely the point where the facets are lined up. If I'm just lucky, so be it, but i don't expect it to change.

Just avoid any effort of over tightening it to reduce the risk of misalignment of the facets

Just avoid any effort of over tightening it to reduce the risk of misalignment of the facets

My policy is to only tighten as much as is necessary and not a smidge more.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Mine is always absolutely dead nuts perfectly aligned. I can make them misalign by an imperceptible degree by really overtightening it, but there's no reason to do that, it caps nice and securely.

If yours misaligns, contact Beini. I think you got a defective one. Mine's absolutely perfect and a staple in my rotation because it's just so nice, well balanced, and the facets feel amazing in the hand.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Mine is always absolutely dead nuts perfectly aligned. I can make them misalign by an imperceptible degree by really overtightening it, but there's no reason to do that, it caps nice and securely.

If yours misaligns, contact Beini. I think you got a defective one. Mine's absolutely perfect and a staple in my rotation because it's just so nice, well balanced, and the facets feel amazing in the hand.

Same on mine, always lands perfectly. I don't see that changing.

Unfortunately, I'll probably find a new home for this pen (and, one day, try to source the original Nakaya this was copied from), as this pen - as well made as it is - confirmed for me the fact that I do not like metal pens, and (possibly) specifically aluminum pens. I just don't like the feeling of holding a cold object.

~ Benjamin Franklin

I can make them misalign by an imperceptible degree by really overtightening it, but there's no reason to do that, it caps nice and securely.

That's my point on why this pen will misalign, since there is no mechanism whatsoever to avoid the overtightening.

Although I must admit that my statement oozes over generalization but I still believe that the pen is always at a risk of misalignment when you are tightening the cap.

That's my point on why this pen will misalign, since there is no mechanism whatsoever to avoid the overtightening.

Although I must admit that my statement oozes over generalization but I still believe that the pen is always at a risk of misalignment when you are tightening the cap.

I don't follow your logic. Mine can't overtighten any more than I can on any other screw cap.

It hits the end and then there's a point where you can give it an uncomfortable amount of pressure to make the cap turn an imperceptible extra amount, but the pressure required to do that is more than I find reasonable and in everyday use, I absolutely never do it to any pen, because the pressure required would crack the caps of a lot of plastic pens. And even in doing so, I have to stress that the misalignment I can manage out of it both requires I REALLY monkey down on the cap, and that the amount it can even turn is less than two degrees, making the misalignment imperceptible.

I will re-state that I think you got a dud, and that it's not representative of the product. I think the cap liner of yours might have been mis-made and is giving you that feeling of being able to overtighten it when it shouldn't do that.

Can you share a picture of how far you can misalign it? If it's really bad and the pen isn't super old, Beini should replace it for free, or if not, send you a new cap for like $10 max.

Edited by Honeybadgers

• 2 weeks later...

I don't follow your logic. Mine can't overtighten any more than I can on any other screw cap.

It hits the end and then there's a point where you can give it an uncomfortable amount of pressure to make the cap turn an imperceptible extra amount, but the pressure required to do that is more than I find reasonable and in everyday use, I absolutely never do it to any pen, because the pressure required would crack the caps of a lot of plastic pens. And even in doing so, I have to stress that the misalignment I can manage out of it both requires I REALLY monkey down on the cap, and that the amount it can even turn is less than two degrees, making the misalignment imperceptible.

I will re-state that I think you got a dud, and that it's not representative of the product. I think the cap liner of yours might have been mis-made and is giving you that feeling of being able to overtighten it when it shouldn't do that.

Can you share a picture of how far you can misalign it? If it's really bad and the pen isn't super old, Beini should replace it for free, or if not, send you a new cap for like $10 max.

Some people have the tendency to tighten the cap so much so that they do not realize that overtime slowly but surely it is tighten more than it should. Knowing that this pen has a design that relies heavily on facet alignment, it should have some extra blocking mechanism to avoid further tightening that might make the facets misaligned.

I thankfully don't have any issues with mine but others in my community have experienced these with their pens. However I think it's just a matter of time before mine misaligns

Edited by penzel_washinkton

Some people have the tendency to tighten the cap so much so that they do not realize that overtime slowly but surely it is tighten more than it should. Knowing that this pen has a design that relies heavily on facet alignment, it should have some extra blocking mechanism to avoid further tightening that might make the facets misaligned.

I thankfully don't have any issues with mine but others in my community have experienced these with their pens. However I think it's just a matter of time before mine misaligns

Again, mate, I really don't understand what you're describing. I've never seen a pen that does what you're describing that isn't something like the visconti hooksafe. All threaded caps will have a little bit of wiggle room.

How would you add a way to "hard stop" the cap? It already bottoms out on its threads when the metal touches metal and you can only get that extra turn by really pressing the two together far too hard. As in, hard enough that I wouldn't have any advice for someone who routinely tightened it that hard other than "seriously, it's not a big block chevy head stud. stop being an ape."

If anything, it should be easier to not overtighten it since you can literally see where to stop. When it's lined up. You don't even have to look, you can feel it.

I can really wrench down on mine and it's absolutely no different than wrenching down on literally any other screwcap pen I have.

So I would again attribute any genuine failures in cap alignment to the occasional QC bug that all pens fall prey to, rather than design flaw with pen. For example, some people have seen the cap liner come out of their delike alpha, and I literally used mine with a rock as a glass breaker on a car window once. And it still works fine.

Edited by Honeybadgers

FFS, let it go.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Again, mate, I really don't understand what you're describing. I've never seen a pen that does what you're describing that isn't something like the visconti hooksafe. All threaded caps will have a little bit of wiggle room.

How would you add a way to "hard stop" the cap? It already bottoms out on its threads when the metal touches metal and you can only get that extra turn by really pressing the two together far too hard. As in, hard enough that I wouldn't have any advice for someone who routinely tightened it that hard other than "seriously, it's not a big block chevy head stud. stop being an ape."

If anything, it should be easier to not overtighten it since you can literally see where to stop. When it's lined up. You don't even have to look, you can feel it.

I can really wrench down on mine and it's absolutely no different than wrenching down on literally any other screwcap pen I have.

So I would again attribute any genuine failures in cap alignment to the occasional QC bug that all pens fall prey to, rather than design flaw with pen. For example, some people have seen the cap liner come out of their delike alpha, and I literally used mine with a rock as a glass breaker on a car window once. And it still works fine.

I do have some ideas that this issue could be mitigated since this is somewhat in line with what I work with daily but I don't think furthering this discussion would be conducive to the forums (seems like a cop out answer but generally I tend to avoid arguments). The pen is in fact still a really nice value regardless of the facets issues.

I do have some ideas that this issue could be mitigated since this is somewhat in line with what I work with daily but I don't think furthering this discussion would be conducive to the forums (seems like a cop out answer but generally I tend to avoid arguments). The pen is in fact still a really nice value regardless of the facets issues.

I think I finally understand what you mean!

I found a picture of a pen with a little hard square "STOP" block at the end of the cap threads.

If that's what you mean, I totally get it, and it'd be a nice addition.

But the problem is that the pen I saw it on was a $4,500 montblanc. And not a single threaded cap pen in my 200 or so collection, including my more "basic" 149 or my faceted and ludicrously expensive wahl doric has such a stop block. I suspect it would be an absolute nightmare to add to a design economically. And FWIW, I still maintain that it feels no different than any of my other premium threaded caps, so I still think any pens with problems are QC failures that should be returned and are not representative of the actual 380.

That's one of the few ideas that crosses my mind, but then again manufacturing difficulties as you said might be a stumbling block for some of the features to be implemented.

As for your examples, I don't think a sample from Montblanc or other luxurious brand is quite on point here since they basically value their products hugely based on branding. Chinese manufacturing can lower that cost by so much in my opinion although in the end it might still be an expensive feature manufacturing wise.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

That's one of the few ideas that crosses my mind, but then again manufacturing difficulties as you said might be a stumbling block for some of the features to be implemented.

As for your examples, I don't think a sample from Montblanc or other luxurious brand is quite on point here since they basically value their products hugely based on branding. Chinese manufacturing can lower that cost by so much in my opinion although in the end it might still be an expensive feature manufacturing wise.

I don't have the time to dig up the picture, but you'll just have to trust me that it would have been an engineering nightmare to cast or inject them that way, and literally impossible to machine that way. It would definitely be a cost-increasing aspect on any pen, no matter the price, though the action itself looked elegant, if difficult to manufacture, and would work perfectly to do what you're describing.

But if you REALLY want to feel a pen that feels just outright HIDEOUS to make the facets line up, look no further than the $700 montegrappa nerouno duetto.

Edited by Honeybadgers