Platinum Procyon

sova

50 minutes ago, maclink said:

If I were to choose one, I'd definitely give the nod to the TWSBI.  The 580 is a very comfortable pen un-posted and the nibs of the TWSBI's have been impressive out of the box.  I haven't had to tune any of the 8 nibs I've worked with (most on pens purchased and others, different nib size purchases).  They have also been very reliable writers.  I am a fan of theirs.  3x580s', 3xEco's, 3xVac700x's, 1xGo, 1xDiamond Mini, 1xClassic. I used them a lot in the past, but my enthusiasm has shifted..... the nature of the hobby... but this hasn't diminished my respect for the brand.

ALBEIT, the Procyon is a great pen as well, with the qualities being just different.  It's fun experiencing them both and hope you get a chance.  🤑  The choice and experience is great among makers who pay close attention to usability features rather than flare and bling.... the flare is good, but please, not at the expense of ergonomics and reliability.

Yeah, somehow I find it harder to justify laying out that much cash on a twsbi pen, compared to the Procyon. I still might go for the Procyon instead. Maybe it is a bit of a flair thing in the end also. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• A Smug Dill

• MuddyWaters

• Caeruleum

5 minutes ago, MuddyWaters said:

Yeah, somehow I find it harder to justify laying out that much cash on a twsbi pen, compared to the Procyon. I still might go for the Procyon instead. Maybe it is a bit of a flair thing in the end also. 

I understand.  Good luck!

This thread has been going on for a while - I'll just add my 2 cents. I was super intrigued when this model came out a few years ago, as I love my old 3776s with steel nibs and my more recent ones with gold nibs, my Balance models, my Preppys / Plaisirs. I got the pen with a medium nib and was a little disappointed. I found it to be stiff, dry and rather uncomfortable to use because of the short grip section - and I find the threads a little sharp. This is a case where I should have tried it before I bought it. It's OK, but my better half has used it more often than I have. She has much smaller hands and still finds the section a little too short for long writing sessions. And there is the price of the pen. You can get a Pilot Lucina for less - also a short section but the plastic threading is nowhere as bothersome - and the steel nib has more bounce to it. I suggest you try out the Procyon before you buy.

• 1 month later...

I've seen quite a few reviews of this pen - it seems to be quite polarising! - but finally decided to "pull the trigger" when I saw it on special today at Dymocks in Sydney.  The discount was only available on the yellow pen (which is quite a pale yellow) - but after a quick look and hold (graciously facilitated by the salesperson, who even allowed me to dip in ink and write a few lines!), I decided to take the plunge.  I like the look and feel (though I'd probably have gone with the turquoise or the Deep Sea if I'd had a choice); I appreciate the provision of a few sample ink cartridges (though a converter would have been nice!)...

Will report back once I've had some time with it, but so far I'm happy with my purchase. Here's a picture - I had to 'desaturate' it to capture the colour more accurately, as the camera seems to make the yellow 'pop' more!

2021-04-15 22.23.55.jpg

2 hours ago, Jamerelbe said:

In case anyone wants to see the nib - and/or how the pen writes:

2021-04-15 22.48.41.jpg

Thanks for your post! The Procyon looks like a very solid pen. I think I'm waiting for a sale too. If there were one locally, I would jump on it in any colour. 

Recently been waiting for opus 88 pen, looking at pelikan m200 but shouldn't forget the Procyon because it's a nicely built pen and looks comfortable. 

I own a Procyon in Deep Sea with a medium nib. For the price, I think it is well worth the money. Mine came from Taiwan in a triangular gift box with a converter and 30ml of Platinum blue-black ink. Cost me about 55 American dollars. Writes well, looks good and feels great.

I have a Procyon 100th Anniversary and have had it for some time.  My son uses it when his pens run dry and I won't let him grab my gold-nibbed ones.  Normally, it sits unused but it closes so tightly that it always starts right up.

The reason it sits unused is completely tactile and unrelated to the nib.  The metal body feels too cold in my hand; it is not the warm and comfortable experience I like to have when I am writing.  I have some other metal-bodied pens (Pilot capless, mostly) that don't seem so "hard' (that quality one associates with a very modernist stainless steel and glass apartment).  The pen writes well, is reliable, and is reasonably attractive to the eye but I do not find it attractive to the fingers.

It is hard to take a picture or evaluate something which is so visceral, but I think the OP was partially trying to evaluate the kinesthetic and tactile side of things.  The pen is a tad back-heavy when posted, but I don't think I'd mind if the darned thing didn't feel so metal. 

That said, the pen is too reliable for me to give away.  I'll keep it around but would not buy another.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 4/15/2021 at 10:45 PM, Jamerelbe said:

I saw it on special today at Dymocks in Sydney.  The discount was only available on the yellow pen (which is quite a pale yellow)

A selection of orange, yellow, turquoise and blue ones now at 30%-off in Dymocks on George Street in Sydney CBD. The turquoise ones are 10% more expensive than the rest; I was told it was a matter of difference in prices of new stock and old stock, even though I pointed out that they all had the same model number (PNS-5000) on the tags attached at the factory to the pen clips, so Platinum itself hasn't raised prices of the model.

On 4/22/2021 at 6:14 AM, essayfaire said:

The pen writes well, is reliable, and is reasonably attractive to the eye but I do not find it attractive to the fingers.

On 3/5/2021 at 1:05 PM, dan in montreal said:

… rather uncomfortable to use because of the short grip section - and I find the threads a little sharp.

I was urged to try one in the hand by the shop's staff, and while I didn't find the threads to be sharp, the step-down at the top of the short gripping section was uncomfortable for me.

Actually, when I was there yesterday afternoon, 18 hours ago.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

25 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

A selection of orange, yellow, turquoise and blue ones now at 30%-off in Dymocks on George Street in Sydney CBD. The turquoise ones are 10% more expensive than the rest; I was told it was a matter of difference in prices of new stock and old stock, even though I pointed out that they all had the same model number (PNS-5000) on the tags attached at the factory to the pen clips, so Platinum itself hasn't raised prices of the model.

I was urged to try one in the hand by the shop's staff, and while I didn't find the threads to be sharp, the step-down at the top of the short gripping section was uncomfortable for me.

Actually, when I was there yesterday afternoon, 18 hours ago.

Interesting to hear that - sounds like they've dropped the whole range since I was there 2 weeks ago!  I was quoted US$89.95 less 25%, so $67.45 [which, for international readers, is around US$53 on current exchange rates).  The turquoise was $100 because (so they said) it was a new shipment.  Given the choice, I'd probably have gone for Deep Sea Blue or Turquoise - but I quite like the pale lemon colour, and I have plenty of blue pens already anyway...

The gripping section *is* a little short, but I didn't find the threads uncomfortable, and so far I'm enjoying the writing experience. Thus far I've only used it with one of their cartridges installed - I think I'd like to try it with a converter and an ink of my choice before I make a final evaluation of the pen! 

7 minutes ago, Jamerelbe said:

Interesting to hear that - sounds like they've dropped the whole range since I was there 2 weeks ago!  I was quoted US$89.95 less 25%,

I'm sure you mean A$89.95 there.

I was told the discount went to 30%-off from 25%-off only in the past week, on in-stock units that just weren't selling for many months on end. There's a unit in Deep Sea and with F nib in the wall cabinet, priced at $100 and not discounted.

There was also a unit of the Platinum #3776 Century Bourgogne in the 30%-off cabinet. I'm sure Dymocks won't be taking the #3776 Century off its range.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

22 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I'm sure you mean A$89.95 there.

I was told the discount went to 30%-off from 25%-off only in the past week, on in-stock units that just weren't selling for many months on end. There's a unit in Deep Sea and with F nib in the wall cabinet, priced at $100 and not discounted.

There was also a unit of the Platinum #3776 Century Bourgogne in the 30%-off cabinet. I'm sure Dymocks won't be taking the #3776 Century off its range.

You're right of course - my mistake! 

I only get into Sydney once every 6-12 months these days (living and working in the Illawarra), but maybe that's not such a bad thing: I really don't need the temptation to head back in for another Procyon, still less the #3776! [Then again, my birthday is not that far off... 🤔

• 9 months later...
On 4/15/2021 at 10:45 PM, Jamerelbe said:

The discount was only available on the yellow pen (which is quite a pale yellow) - but after a quick look and hold (graciously facilitated by the salesperson, who even allowed me to dip in ink and write a few lines!), I decided to take the plunge.

How's the finish on your Procyon holding up? I had a closer look today† at the Persimmon Orange one Dymocks is offering at half price, and can see that the colour on the terminals on the cap and the barrel both seem to have faded to a lighter shade (as in looking like it's been gradually rubbed off and exposing a white undercoat of paint), and there is a distinct scratch on the end of the barrel that appears white, just from being on display and occasionally handled in store while remaining unsold for the past so many (but probably no more than 18) months.

So, I'm pretty glad I got the Porcelain White (from PenSachi, a while back), which is the only one with a glossy finish, even though both my wife and I prefer matt finishes. By the way, she has now relieved me (just yesterday) of the pen, since the flaring of the rim on the silver-coloured connector at the mouth of the barrel doesn't bother her; she has a proper tripod grip, whereas I don't.

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

How's the finish on your Procyon holding up? I had a closer look today† at the Persimmon Orange one Dymocks is offering at half price, and can see that the colour on the terminals on the cap and the barrel both seem to have faded to a lighter shade (as in looking like it's been gradually rubbed off and exposing a white undercoat of paint), and there is a distinct scratch on the end of the barrel that appears white, just from being on display and occasionally handled in store while remaining unsold for the past so many (but probably no more than 18) months.

So, I'm pretty glad I got the Porcelain White (from PenSachi, a while back), which is the only one with a glossy finish, even though both my wife and I prefer matt finishes. By the way, she has now relieved me (just yesterday) of the pen, since the flaring of the rim on the silver-coloured connector at the mouth of the barrel doesn't bother her; she has a proper tripod grip, whereas I don't.

The finish on my Procyon is holding up quite well thanks - though I don't take it on the road all that often!  It mostly sits on my desk (where it gets semi-regular use) or travels places with me in a pen case.  I can see a very slight 'ding' near the top of the cap (don't know how I did that?), but no flaking or wearing away as yet!

I'd heard some negative feedback re the dark blue-green pen chipping and flaking (I think it also had a matte finish?), which was an added incentive for go with a different colour.  That, and the fact that they were selling off the pale yellow one at a reasonable discount.

I'm still using one of the cartridges that came with the pen, which is some kind of "ochre" (a slightly brownish orange) - it's the first cartridge I inserted into the pen, and is probably part of the reason I don't reach for it as much as some others.  I'll try to choose a more "mainstream" colour on refill (maybe a blue...).  I'm reminded, though, of one of the oddities of this pen - or rather, the marketing thereof.  Its nib and feed is designed to allow it to fill from ink bottles that are much closer to empty - and yet they supply cartridges rather than a converter with the pen!  

My wife hasn't stolen any of my fountain pens yet - she's a biro/rollerball person.  Sadly it seems my older two children (now adults) have largely lost interest in using fountain pens too.  My youngest, though, still enjoys her stationery - I've taken her to Dymocks a couple of times when we've caught a train to the "Big Smoke".  She got a nice pink Kaweco Sport when I bought my Procyon (also on special) - and has a nice little collection of Ooly fountain pens (six colours, with matching inks) from a previous trip to Sydney... 

8 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

How's the finish on your Procyon holding up?

It's holding up okay, but honestly I find I don't use it very often so it mostly lives in a pen wrap.  I find the pen too "cool" in my hand, which may be related to the composition of the finish.  Other metal pens don't feel that way.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, MuddyWaters said:

Updates about your procyons?

I love my platinum carbon desk pen and also love the preppy 0.3 nib but would like a more chunky pen by platinum with a similar nib point. 

Mine is still going strong - I finally used up the cartridge that came with it (one of their mixed colours), and swapped in a converter I bought on eBay years ago.  I'd thought it was a bit of a dry writer with the original ink, but it writes much wetter with Visconti Blue - it's really growing on me as a daily writing option!

Amazon.com has 4 colors, mostly in both M and F nibs for $39.  The seller is Happy Sashimi, who I have bought from before without problem.  It is shipped by Amazon, Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Fountain-Pen-PNS-5000-68-F/dp/B0B14PSHSF/ref=sr_1_4?crid=35LLMM2RDEQOI&keywords=procyon%2Bfountain%2Bpen&qid=1661970449&sprefix=procyon%2Caps%2C280&sr=8-4&th=1

I like these pens for their girth, metal body, uncaps in one turn and has a decent Platinum steel pen.  At this price I think it is a good value.

On 8/31/2022 at 2:57 PM, lascosas said:

Amazon.com has 4 colors, mostly in both M and F nibs for $39.  The seller is Happy Sashimi, who I have bought from before without problem.  It is shipped by Amazon, Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Fountain-Pen-PNS-5000-68-F/dp/B0B14PSHSF/ref=sr_1_4?crid=35LLMM2RDEQOI&keywords=procyon%2Bfountain%2Bpen&qid=1661970449&sprefix=procyon%2Caps%2C280&sr=8-4&th=1

I like these pens for their girth, metal body, uncaps in one turn and has a decent Platinum steel pen.  At this price I think it is a good value.

Thanks for link! I just got the Citron Yellow finally. I'll have the same pen as @Jamerelbe :)

2 hours ago, MuddyWaters said:

Thanks for link! I just got the Citron Yellow finally. I'll have the same pen as @Jamerelbe :)

Congratulations - hope you like it!  Anna Reinert (?) from The Well Appointed Desk thought the yellow was too pale to be attractive - it's pastel rather than bright - but I'm pretty happy with it.