Platinum Procyon

sova

Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce the new product from Japanese pens craftsman :) On the arena is Platinum Procyon!

fpn_1548569811__as-1.jpg

By the way why such a strange name – Procyon? Pen got that name from the brightest star in the constellation of Canis Minor, one of the 21 first magnitude stars at the night sky. Pretentious name, no doubt :) Lets look at the pen closer.

fpn_1548570255__as-2.jpg

Aluminum body with matt coating pleased by color and texture. Strong clip with strict form. Cap has the thread. Everything fits perfectly, the cap is screwed very gently. There is Slip&Seal mechanism inside the cap. The nib. It's something in between Preppy and Safari nibs. The nib is quite large and looks solidly.

fpn_1548570292__as-3.jpg

The grip section is made of translucent plastic. Looks cool!

fpn_1548570343__as-4.jpg

An interesting feature is thread. It has a rectangular profile so your fingers don't feel it actually. The designers did a great job, thought out even the little things

fpn_1548570449__as-5.jpg

The pen euipped with a newly-designed feeder for easier ink absorption from a bottle with a small amount of ink.

fpn_1548570539__as-11.jpg

We turn to the most interesting – how the pen writes? The nib write smooth with distinct feedback and an audible rustling. The F nib provides thin line.

The pen is quite big and lies in the hand perfectly without cap. It is well balanced. When capped the balance is broken. Capped the pen is 140 mm and uncapped is 119 mm. Diameter of the grip section is 11 mm max and 10 mm min.

fpn_1548570483__as-6.jpg fpn_1548570588__as-7.jpg

fpn_1548570736__as-8.jpg

fpn_1548570769__as-9.jpg

The pen comes with three cartridges of new ink.

fpn_1548570794__as-10.jpg

Summarizing, what can be said about the novelty? Platinum made very good product of middle range segment. Industrial design with interesting features, good quality – the pen will be a good workhorse. I recommend.

Edited by sova

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• A Smug Dill

• MuddyWaters

• Caeruleum

I think I saw on a website that this pen DOES use Platinum's slip & seal inner cap? The pen looks quite well designed over all, but there's something about the thread section that looks unappealing to me.

Thank you for the review. Great images especially, maybe Platinum should have asked you to take some product photographs.

Are the threads inside the cap made from metal as well?

I think I saw on a website that this pen DOES use Platinum's slip & seal inner cap? The pen looks quite well designed over all, but there's something about the thread section that looks unappealing to me.

Yes, as sova wrote in the review, the Procyon does have the slip & seal.

Interesting that the section is translucent, no pic showed that and no one mentioned it before (I think...).

Which Sailor is that size-wise, a standard or large 1911?

Which Sailor is that size-wise, a standard or large 1911?

To my eyes, they look too big to be the Standard version. It must be the 1911 Large Black Luster, something I am quite interested in.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

The 21k nib confirms that the Sailor is a 1911L.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Thanks, very informative.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

To my eyes, they look too big to be the Standard version. It must be the 1911 Large Black Luster, something I am quite interested in.

That was my hunch as well..

Oops forgot about that tiny detail, though there are some few models in the smaller version but with 21k nibs.

• 6 months later...

Can you who have tried this pen comment on the bounciness or springiness of the nib? Is it softer as advertised or does it feel like the 3776?

Thank you in advance!

Ive fancied this for a while now. I still do. Somehow every time I get close to ordering, I pick up my stunning Lamy Aion and then close the browser window. 🧐

The 3/4 turn cap is what really makes this pen convenient. it writes really nicely. My only gripe is that the finish isn't all that durable. As a pocket pen, It's going to start chipping a tiny bit here and there within a month or two.

Other than that, If you can live with it developing a patina, It's a great pen. The included cartridges are fun too, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the amber ochre one.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Ive fancied this for a while now. I still do. Somehow every time I get close to ordering, I pick up my stunning Lamy Aion and then close the browser window. 🧐

The Aion and Procyon seem to share quite a few traits: both have aluminium bodies, are relatively large compared to other pens by their company, similar price range, new designwise-simple steel nib, understated design.

But I value the slip-and-seal cap a lot.

The 3/4 turn cap is what really makes this pen convenient.

That's a feature I really like.

it writes really nicely.

Could you also desceibe how hard or sodt the nib feels?

Tell that to the 21k that came with my 1911S?

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

That's a feature I really like.

Could you also desceibe how hard or sodt the nib feels?

Total nail. rock hard. It'll do great on carbon paper.

It's got that platinum feedback (I have the F) where it's somewhere between sailor and pilot. No scratchiness whatsoever, it's got a nice medium flow rate, but I can't say 100% on that since I'm still working on the first included ink cartridge, which I presume is pretty dry since that's how platinum inks tend to be.

It comes with a recipe book for recreating the colors, and I was able to get something nearly identical to the ochre using my noodlers CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) set.

Honestly, I wish it cost ten more bucks and came with a 14k nib so I could make it an iron gall workhorse.

Honestly, I wish it cost ten more bucks and came with a 14k nib so I could make it an iron gall workhorse.

You could make it one now. I seriously doubt that any modern iron-gall ink — not the least the ones produced by Platinum — will render a steel-nibbed Platinum Procyon non-functional or affect its writing performance any time soon.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.