Ledos Glare Diplomate - A Cheap Flex Pen In India

smruthib

Hi all, this is my inexperienced review at a flex pen. As far as I have seen, it is difficult to get a hold of flex pens in India for cheap. The noodler's pens are available on Amazon, but they cost about Rs. 2000 (around $30), and as someone who has never used a flex pen before, I couldn't bring myself to make that investment. This pen, however, cost me Rs 500 (~$7).

It's a plastic pen and comes in a velvet pouch with two cartridges. The nib is quite stiff but provides some good line variation with the appropriate pressure.

Weirdly though, the pen and pouch come engraved with "Click", which is another brand from India, but nowhere in the description of the product does it mention it. I had no expectations for this product, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Attached below are some pictures of the pen compared to the TWSBI Eco and a writing sample. For more pictures and the link to the product (no affiliation), please check out my blog post.

post-147366-0-40737800-1548422678_thumb.jpg

post-147366-0-28578200-1548422688_thumb.jpg

post-147366-0-02167600-1548422696_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SoulSamurai

• smruthib

• WJM

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting. Following the link on your block, the nib looks similar to a Noodlers or FPR. Is it a #6 or a #5? The pen looks quite nice to me, I might have to see if it's available internationally.

Interesting. Following the link on your block, the nib looks similar to a Noodlers or FPR. Is it a #6 or a #5? The pen looks quite nice to me, I might have to see if it's available internationally.

The FPR Darjeeling is manufactured for them by Click - who also market the pen (or a very similar design) under their own branding, as the "Click Aristocrat". It very much looks like that's the pen being reviewed here. In India, the Click version will definitely be cheaper (though I don't know whose nibs they use in the pen). In the US, you'll probably get a better deal (and definitely better after-sales service) if you buy from Fountain Pen Revolution. I have 4 in my collection (FPR Darjeelings), and they're a great lower-cost option - though I like the fit, finish and feel of the FPR Triveni (in ebonite or acrylic) even better, despite the higher price tag.

The FPR Darjeeling is manufactured for them by Click - who also market the pen (or a very similar design) under their own branding, as the "Click Aristocrat". It very much looks like that's the pen being reviewed here. In India, the Click version will definitely be cheaper (though I don't know whose nibs they use in the pen). In the US, you'll probably get a better deal (and definitely better after-sales service) if you buy from Fountain Pen Revolution. I have 4 in my collection (FPR Darjeelings), and they're a great lower-cost option - though I like the fit, finish and feel of the FPR Triveni (in ebonite or acrylic) even better, despite the higher price tag.

I recently went across FPR's site looking for a C/C pen that takes their #5 flex nibs; I settled on the Click Torpedo; still waiting for it to arrive (the mail takes forever sometimes where I am). I don't see any other C/C Click pens on FPR's site. I already have an older ebonite Triveni, from before they changed it to use #6 nibs. I find #6 nibs too long for my grip, so unfortunately the new Triveni isn't for me. I did pick up a Himalaya though; I expect it will be better for flex writing than the Torpedo as the ebonite feed should make railroading less of an issue than a C/C pen with a plastic feed, but the Torpedo is something I expect to be more convenient for general use.

Are you sure about the nib size? This looks like another incarnation of Click Aristocrat, the other being FPR Darjeeling. These models use size 6 nibs.

On the nib or on the feed?

I don't know about this one, but the standard Click Aristocrat - which this model is a variation of, from what I see - uses the OEM Chinese plastic 6mm feed. These feeds commonly have a number just under where nib is placed, but the meaning of these numbers is unknown, it there is any.

Anyway, judging from the photo I think it's a #6 nib. It is significantly bigger than the TWSBI Eco nib. Eco nib are more or less size 5 from what I know.

I agree with the consensus that this pen is also sold as the Darjeeling by FPR. I have the same pen from Click as well, and the only difference is the nib. I both are #6s, but I think the FPR nibs are generally much better than standard Indian nibs, and with a large range of options. The Darjeeling is an excellent, less expensive EDC pen, I have several in various nib sizes and have enjoyed them all.