Looking For New Pen - Recommendations

Nerdyhistorian

So, I am looking to upgrade a step from my starter pens.

At the moment I have the following pens: Waterman Graduate Chrome, 3 Pilot Metropolitans (purple, red and green), 3 Lamy Safari´s (petrol, standard black, green). The Waterman is a F, the Pilots and Lamy´s are an M. I like all these pens and love writing with them. My Waterman and Safari´s are very smooth writers, love that. Though I would like a finer line than the Safari´s (more like the Pilots and Waterman).

In a new pen I would like that the finish of the pen or section doesn´t rub off easily/very soon. If it is as smooth as my Waterman/Safari´s and produces a nice fine line that would be great.

In regards to style: I like the looks of for example the magnenta Parker Urban, the blue Lamy Studio, the Pelikan Souverains and Classics, Parker Sonnet and IM. I had to throw a red marbled Chinese pen away because the threads on the section had wear off. Loved the look of that pen as well.

I don´t like scratchy or feedbacky nibs.

I write with the cap posted and don´t like heavy pens, I find my Metro´s a quite excellent weight actually. Though I have quite small hands, I don´t like short pens. But not longer than the Safari´s though.

Oh, and the pen has to take cartridges, since I don´t write that much or switch colours that much that bottles would be better.

Budget: 75 euro´s max.

Which pens would you recommend?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nerdyhistorian

• A Smug Dill

• Arkanabar

• sirgilbert357

Faber Castell produce lovely nibs within your price range. Look at the e-motion or ambition range - it might suit you.

The Lamy Studio also comes within your price range that might be worth considering.

If you like Waterman then the Hemisphere is not terrible and will fit within your budget.

The last suggestion I would make would be the Parson's Essential from Mr Pen in the UK. Mr Pen's nibs are rather lovely.

It sounds like you don't have any ebonite pens yet? Maybe pick up an ebonite Triveni Junior (#6 nib, flex option available, takes standard international cartridges, slightly shorter than the regular Triveni since you mentioned posting the cap) from FPR for around $40. It's perhaps not a "step up", but ebonite feels subtly better in the hand than metal or typical plastics

- well, obviously that's subjective, but it's still probably worth trying an ebonite pen at some point.

So, I am looking to upgrade a step from my starter pens.

...‹snip›...

Budget: 75 euro´s max.

Which specific characteristics would make the new pen an 'upgrade' to you, though, if it meets your functional and qualitative requirements equally as well as your Pilot MR and Lamy Safari pens? Is spending more money on a pen inherently a step up? You've specified a bunch of criteria to filter out unsuitable candidates, but I don't see any indication of what would make you see a pen as worth buying.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

A few ideas:

The safe choice for a Lamy Studio is the one in steel, as it has a rubber grip; if you can, try the other finishes with the chrome section in person. Same nibs as Safaris but perhaps with better quality control.

The Faber Castell Ambition is a beautiful pen, prices vary depending on the finish, the pearwood is really good looking with a nice texture, the black one is cheaper but doesn't come with a converter. Smooth nibs.

A restored or well preserved Pelikan 120 could also do the trick, or an m100.

A well preserved Parker 75.

Waterman Expert.

They sometimes have good deals directly from other membes of stylo-plume.org, which is closer to your location although I've never bought there.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Like Sandy, I'd have a look at Faber Castell pens. However, your own pick of Lamy Studio gives you wider range of nib sizes including some broader ones with good line variation. Also, in terms of smooth nibs, cartridge filling and great metal finish (rather light and below 135 mm) I'd recommend some older pens like parker 75 or something from Pelikan flock: https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Cartridge-filler/first-models/index.html. Both Parker 75 and Pelikans from the late 1960s and 70s like P25, P21, P30 or P47x offer a beautiful choice of nibs, take modern cartridges and can be found in pristine or very good condition below 75 euro. Good luck!

Edited by 7is

You have to try the Faber Castell Loom a try. It is one of the smoothest steel nibs I've ever seen. The pen is nice, with a decent amount of weight and some cool colors to choose from.

Go for a fine nib. You won't be disappointed.

If a gold nib is one of the things you're looking for in the 'upgrade', your stated budget probably lends itself to a Pilot Custom 74 (or Custom Heritage 91) or a Platinum #3776 Century at a stretch (I'm not sure how easy it is for you to score good deals on Amazon or eBay where you are, for pens shipped to you from Japan, and how any tax implications may play out). Since you don't like kinaesthetic feedback from the nib, the #3776 is probably disqualified. I can see a couple of listings on eBay Australia that will just scrap in at the equivalent of €75 excluding shipping, but then eBay has 5% or 10% off promotional discount codes from time to time; so, from where I stand, I'd probably recommend a Pilot CH91 with a 14K gold Fine nib or Fine-Medium nib, or if you're feeling really adventurous, an SFM (Soft Fine-Medium) nib.

Edit:

OK, I just had a look on eBay.be (even though I understand neither Dutch nor French).

There's a listing for the Pilot CH91 in yama-budo for €64,74 (+ €9,51 shipping).

There's a listing for the Pilot CH91 in black with SFM nib for €74,31 (+ €3,75 shipping), and another for €77,59 but with free shipping.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I would NOT recommend a Parker Urban. It's a bit top heavy, plus the QC is variable. I got a twist converter and it was the wrong size and broke, so I sent it back to Parker under warranty after massive searches of their website to find contact info. And jumped through their hoops. Then got sent the pen back with a slide converter and a snotty note and while they put it in a fairly nice tube, they through the tube into a blister pack envelope. So when the slide converter got stuck in the barrel, I kinda jumped on them. A lot. I was peeved off.... They sent me a Priority mail box to ship it back to them (I still had to pay the insurance). And again, with zero communication from them, sent me a new pen with a cryptic note saying "barrel defective". But the new nib unit leaks like a sieve --even after repeated flushing and soaking there's STILL apparently ink in the feed. I gave up. That is one pen it would be worth throwing in the trash because I'd feel too guilty trying to palm it off on anyone else.

I'm a big fan of Pelikan pens -- if you get an M200 (which has a gold plated nib) you can always upgrade later to a 14K gold nib for an M400). I have both and they're a great size and weight for my hand. But they are kinda pricy. The M200 in particular also tend to have nails for nibs (albeit really smooth, well writing nails.... B)). Older Pelikans can be less expensive -- my first was an 1990s era M400 and. while not a flexer, it has a very nice springy nib on it). Note that Pelikans tend to write wet (that 1990s M400 is an F but can write like a B).

The other pens you're looking at? I just don't have any experience with them (although I've considered a Lamy Studio). And +1 to what mitto said about Parker 51s -- I LOVE mine. Even the ones with EF nibs.... But they aren't cartridge pens.

You might also want to take a look at some of the smaller TWSBI pens (if you don't want a heavy pen, don't look at a 580-AL -- although I like mine, and actually like the B nib on it better than on my super expensive Pelikan M405 Anthracite Stresseman, it is now my benchmark pen for "this is the absolute limit of how heavy a pen I want to write with).

Don't know if they would be in your budget, but you might also want to look at a vintage Sheaffer -- a restored Snorkel or Balance Oversize. The Oversize in particular is a large pen but surprisingly lightweight. Okay, neither of them are cartridge pens either.... I have one -- it used to belong to my husband's grandfather, and that's one pen I would NEVER sell, ever, because I'd like to keep it in the family if at all possible. (The Plum Demi Parker 51 OTOH? That pen they'll have to pry from my cold dead fingers.... ;))

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The Studio is a nice pen. Most have metal sections, so you may or may not like that. The stainless one had a rubberized section that seems pretty durable.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Which specific characteristics would make the new pen an 'upgrade' to you, though, if it meets your functional and qualitative requirements equally as well as your Pilot MR and Lamy Safari pens? Is spending more money on a pen inherently a step up? You've specified a bunch of criteria to filter out unsuitable candidates, but I don't see any indication of what would make you see a pen as worth buying.

Well, it should at least meet those requirements but an upgrade would essentially be a better nib and smoother writer in my mind,

Some great suggestions coming in, btw! I am defintely going to look at Faber Castell and the Waterman Hemisphere, and vintage Parkers and Pelikans as well.

The Studio is a nice pen. Most have metal sections, so you may or may not like that. The stainless one had a rubberized section that seems pretty durable.

Hm, I read some posts where people complained about the rubber section desintegrating/flaking off....

Edited by InkedSophie

Far be it to defy conventional wisdom but I go against the grain of the views above re the Studio.

I have, or rather had, a brushed metal one with a fine nib. I found the nib quite scratchy and it didn't flow particularly well both with Lamy's own turqoise ink, Diamine Asa Blue and Waterman Tender Purple ink. It was prone to scratching as well and, where posted, the body of the pen developed notable scratches from the lid coming on and off.

At that sort of price range I would suggest a Waterman Hemisphere, which I have got on very well with, as well as the Platinum PTL-5000, given the latter has a gold nib I believe for it's bargain price. You might be able to get up to a Sheaffer Prelude which has undoubtedly been my best purchase so far.

Safe choice: Pilot Custom 74/Pilot Custom Heritage 92/Platinum 3776/ (from eBay, 99% of Japanese sellers are very responsive). Pick one with free returns.

Safe but preference-based choice: A restored Parker 51 Special Aerometric (from a reputable seller, parker51.com is a nice place to look). I picked up a NOS one from eBay with its stickers and papers still in the box for a mere $50. Just be patient and hunt down the right one.

At this stage, I wouldn't recommend any more risky pens like Vacumatics or vintage hard rubber.

check the M200 carefully

three things don't match so well with your assumptions

1) The M200 is smallish, although when posted it's a perfectly usable size (but no doubt smaller than the Lamy Safari)

2) The M200 is a piston filler, so no cartridges, a big plus IMO, but you have stated otherwise

3) The M200 EF nib is not the smoothest you can find, while the F is ok but Pelikan nibs tend to be wider than for example Pilot/Platinum nibs (you said you are looking for a fine line)

the same applies to the Pelikan 120 (both vintage and new), and also the vintage 140, although the 140 sports gold nibs and some of them are fantastic, but may raise your budget considerably

Edited to add PS

on the other hand

a) you do like the Souverain look

b ) you do like light pens

c) Pelikans are easy to post (M200s were designed to be posted)

d) nibs are usually smooth, with some exceptions on the EF (and they are easy to swop, in case)

e) if you look in the classified it's not difficult to find a lovingly used M200 at your budget

Edited by sansenri

2) The M200 is a piston filler, so no cartridges, a big plus IMO, but you have stated otherwise

FYI Pelikan has P205 that is basically a cartridge version of the M205. Unfortunately I believe it's pretty much the same price despite being simpler, and I think it's only available in plain black.

The only new, high quality gold nib pen that I know of in your budget is the Platinum PTL-5000. It's a smooth enough writer with some line variation. I would also look at a Pelikan pen, which have very smooth nibs. Lamy nibs are good as well.

Good luck finding the right pen.

Folks that grew up with Large pens, tend to think the beautiful vintage standard sized Esterbrook DJ....., P-75, or 200/400 as small....or thin.

They were once for decades the standard size of pen, back when pens were used 8 hours a day.

If posted they are longer ....and better balanced than most Large and girther pens.

The thin vintage Snorkel (King of Pens) is I just read relatively cheap....it has great balance. It has to have that, it was a Flag ship and replaced the great balanced medium large P-51 as King.

I was :yikes:when I found out the Snorkel is as long as a Safari....much thinner, in I'd thought it was a medium-large pen.

So having grown up with standard pens and having a goal back as a kid to one day have an Adult Snorkel or P-51.....One Man One Pen days...am use to Standard pens.....and don't find them small nor thin.

I do like the girth of the medium-large 600 but used they are still very expensive.

(Also out of price range but included due to comment on the 200 as a small pen.) I do find a 800 or did as a bit fat....my 1000 is also for me much more than a tad thick.

....Quite a bit wider than my standard sized model 400. Will reach for the standard sized pen before the wide 1000.

Better balance in the posted standard sized one than in the un-posted big pen.

How ever those who grew up with only big Large pens....have their own opinion. B) Snide remark having to do with posting removed.... :P

You can afford a very sturdy, very pretty vintage twist out nib, Esterbrook. They go for@ $35 and think the nibs go for @ $15.....The DJ is the big one....it is standard in size. (J=Jewel...DJ = double Jewel...the early ones only had one jewel) ) The SJ, is the thinner one, the LJ....(Lady/Jewel) is the smallest and also thin. They are lever/sac pens so one must stay far away from supersaturated inks, which will eat sacks.............same goes for the Snorkel's rubber sac.

The P-51 is safe...some sort of fiberglass sac.

The perfectly balanced P-75....well will feed cartridge and converter, but the rubber airomatic squeeze unit can't hack supersaturated inks................Is now expensive again, wait to the next depression. In the last one the sterling silver pen went for $75.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...
So, after browing around, what do you all think of these pens? Good brands?

- Cross Bailey in red lacquer

- Kaweco Student

- Conklin Durograph Red Nights

- Sailor Lecoule Garnet

The Faber Castell ones mentioned here don´t attract me that much, the Pelikan M200 is indeed quite nice looking! Waterman Hemisphere is also lovely looking.

So, after browing around, what do you all think of these pens?

...‹snip›...

- Sailor Lecoule Garnet

I have three Sailor Lecoule pens, including the Garnet model. I wouldn't call it an upgrade over the Pilot MR. The plastic pen body is slightly nicer than that of the Pilot 78G, but it is lightweight, and significantly shorter than the Pilot MR. The steel MF nib is OK, and comparable to in both smoothness and line width to the F nib on a Pilot MR. For the price, though, I don't see any reason to recommend it. I'd take the Delike New Moon 3 over the Sailor Lecoule any day for a pen of that form factor, and you can probably buy at least five New Moon 3 pens for the price of a Lecoule.

Edited by A Smug Dill