Seeking Pilot Vanishing Point Use And Care Guide

BastardSecretary

Hello everyone

I am hoping to sell an unused black Pilot Vanishing Point fp that has been sitting around unopened in my cupboard for awhile, but as I prepared it for sale, I noticed there is no little paper manual in the box. I don't recall that there ever was one but I notice some sellers do include them. I think they are called Use and Care Guide. I can always refer the buyer to Robert Goulet's excellent video presentations on Youtube, but I would have preferred to include some written material to explain some of the bits and pieces, especially the strange looking empty cartridge and metal cartridge cap. I have tried looking on Pilot's internet sites, to no avail. Does anyone know of a treasure trove of user guides where you can download PDFs?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BastardSecretary

• surprise123

• Honeybadgers

• LizEF

I just opened the boxes for the following pens, and they all came with the exact same use and care guide - none had anything specific to the VP (all were purchased at separate times over the past 2-3 years):

• Vanishing Point (stormtrooper, f)
  • Vanishing Point (blue matte, f)
  • Decimo, ef
  • Stargazer
  • Falcon

The boxes for my "special alloy" VP and Metropolitan had different papers inside (cheaper Pilot pens had no boxes at all).

So, if you happen to have the use and care guide from another Pilot pen (perhaps only the gold nib ones), you could put that one in the box.

The good news is, this adventure revealed a blue cartridge with metal sleeve still in one box (now placed with others of its kind), and that I had a box for the special alloy, which needs to go to the friend to whom I gave the pen.

I just opened the boxes for the following pens, and they all came with the exact same use and care guide - none had anything specific to the VP (all were purchased at separate times over the past 2-3 years):

• Vanishing Point (stormtrooper, f)
  • Vanishing Point (blue matte, f)
  • Decimo, ef
  • Stargazer
  • Falcon
The boxes for my "special alloy" VP and Metropolitan had different papers inside (cheaper Pilot pens had no boxes at all).

So, if you happen to have the use and care guide from another Pilot pen (perhaps only the gold nib ones), you could put that one in the box.

The good news is, this adventure revealed a blue cartridge with metal sleeve still in one box (now placed with others of its kind), and that I had a box for the special alloy, which needs to go to the friend to whom I gave the pen.

I literally just purchased a Pilot VP with papers and everything. I don't really need the papers, and often just stow them away in a drawer. You looking for the accordion style manual or the curved color print? I can scan it and PM it to you.

Edit: Woops, I thought you were the OP.

Edited by surprise123

What size nib, and what are you looking to ask for it?

It currently has an unused F nib. If someone badly wanted say an M nib and didn't mind a lightly used one, I could swap it over, I could do that also (I realise this isn't the right place to be discussing this, moderator).

I literally just purchased a Pilot VP with papers and everything. I don't really need the papers, and often just stow them away in a drawer. You looking for the accordion style manual or the curved color print? I can scan it and PM it to you.

Edit: Woops, I thought you were the OP.

I don't think I have the knack of this either. If you have anything that shows how the user employs the empty cartridge, (ie, fills it with a syringe or eyedropper, pushes it into the section and then caps it off with the special metal cartridge cap they supply, that would be good. If it's Pilot generic stuff that has pictures relating to non VP pens I might pass on that, thanks, lest I confuse the buyer. Cheers

I don't think I have the knack of this either. If you have anything that shows how the user employs the empty cartridge, (ie, fills it with a syringe or eyedropper, pushes it into the section and then caps it off with the special metal cartridge cap they supply, that would be good. If it's Pilot generic stuff that has pictures relating to non VP pens I might pass on that, thanks, lest I confuse the buyer. Cheers

It has instructions on how to fill with a converter, as well as inserting the cartridge and putting the metal sleeve over it.

What size nib, and what are you looking to ask for it?

I forgot to respond on the price, which I was going to say AUD $175 but please note I am located in Australia. I was planning to sell it on Ebay, domestic. The shipping to the US in particular is usually prohibitive. That said, I haven't actually costed it at the local Post Office.

This is the one that came with the Pilot Capless blue matte Vanishing Point I ordered from the US a couple of months ago:

fpn_1548347272__pilot-namiki_use_and_car

It is generic, although there is a specific section on Vanishing Point Fountain Pens.

I can send it to you in the post if you're really desperate to have one to put inside the box.

The shipping to the US in particular is usually prohibitive. That said, I haven't actually costed it at the local Post Office.

$24 for 500g, not including Extra Cover or Signature on Delivery.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

It has instructions on how to fill with a converter, as well as inserting the cartridge and putting the metal sleeve over it.

That sounds like what I'm after. To me, the converter seems obvious enough, whereas the empty cartridge + cap are the least intuitive of the inclusions, to the point of being a bit primitive, especially for a buyer who hasn't used an eyedropper pen before. As to whether I want the accordion or other style - whichever scans better or has the best VP info would suit.

This is the one that came with the Pilot Capless blue matte Vanishing Point I ordered from the US a couple of months ago:

fpn_1548347272__pilot-namiki_use_and_car

It is generic, although there is a specific section on Vanishing Point Fountain Pens.

I can send it to you in the post if you're really desperate to have one to put inside the box.

$24 for 500g, not including Extra Cover or Signature on Delivery.

Thanks Smug Dill. No, not really desperate. Just having a tidy up of the cupboards, the same sort of anti-hoarding tidy up purge that lead to me chucking out all the previous Pilot boxes I owned. That $24 isn't as bad as some I have seen. Many US vendors are charging close to $60 for delivery of pens to Australia. I'll check my options at the PO on Monday.

Thanks everybody for your assistance.

That sounds like what I'm after. To me, the converter seems obvious enough, whereas the empty cartridge + cap are the least intuitive of the inclusions, to the point of being a bit primitive, especially for a buyer who hasn't used an eyedropper pen before. As to whether I want the accordion or other style - whichever scans better or has the best VP info would suit.

Honestly, Pilot has never included instructions regarding refilling their own cartridges, as far as I know. You might be able to find a good post here on FPN and format it on a word processor.

Honestly, Pilot has never included instructions regarding refilling their own cartridges, as far as I know. You might be able to find a good post here on FPN and format it on a word processor.

Well, that's the top and bottom of it, I think and I was beginning to suspect it might be the case. I'll have a go at describing it myself and direct the buyer to Youtube in the last resort. That's how I found out what to do with the thing, and a few other fp head scratchers.

cheers everyone.

Well, that's the top and bottom of it, I think and I was beginning to suspect it might be the case. I'll have a go at describing it myself and direct the buyer to Youtube in the last resort. That's how I found out what to do with the thing, and a few other fp head scratchers.

cheers everyone.

I'm too lazy to run out to the shed and check the box, but I don't think my VP came with instructions either.

Pilot has no instructions on refilling their cartridges, nobody does except nathan tardiff for his 308 refillable cartridges.

Refilling a cartridge requires a syringe, so anyone who wanted to do needs that.

Honestly, my vote is to just find a CON-50 for it or buy a small box of namiki cartridges to throw in.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)