Pelikan Nib Exchange - Amazon Global Uk

shawnee

If you want to have your new nib tuned to your exact liking, Nibmeister Tim Girdler will be at Bertram's Inkwell in Rockville, MD on March 23rd, 2019.

Tim's work is excellent and his prices are very competitive.

https://www.bertramsinkwell.com/events.html

Edited by Tasmith

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shawnee

• Bo Bo Olson

• A Smug Dill

• Tasmith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want to have your new nib tuned to your exact liking, Nibmeister Tim Girdler will be at Bertram's Inkwell in Rockville, MD on March 23rd, 2019.

Tim's work is excellent and his prices are very competitive.

https://www.bertramsinkwell.com/events.html

Oooh, okay, you have my attention. I was going to head up to Bertram's for the first time on Friday since it's my birthday this week and I was going to drag my dad along on the long drive, but maybe I'll wait. I've got a Montblanc 146 that definitely needs a grind and maybe I'll take the Pelikan 'M' nib. Thank you for this. That is super helpful!

All and all, it will be a reliable writer, but I think my Pelikan journey is at an end for now.

"... as an extra-fine nib ... that makes my brain hurt like you wouldn't believe."

Oh, being an owner of a Pelikan M815 with an (18K gold) EF nib, I feel your pain.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I was a bit too hasty about dissing the nib. It's actually growing on me a bit because one thing it hasn't done is bleed.

I can't believe I'm going to say this out loud and Smug Dill is going to run screaming from the room, but I've got two Sailors that do have a bleeding issue on some of the down strokes and one of those is a brand new Sailor that if I was honest with myself, I haven't been too keen on since I've gotten it. So I almost want to re-purchase a Pelikan 205 but with a steel 'EF' nib this time, just to see if it's got that balance of line and feedback, but I've got to stop buying pens. *whispers* But there are so many pretty pens . . . NO. I MUST STOP BUYING PENS.

Pressure is one of the factors that increase line width. Most 'noobies' are ham fisted....pressing near as hard as an old ball point....will admit the 'new' gel/hybrid are much smoother and require less pressure. It can take months to get a lighter Hand.

There is nothing wrong with a Safari.....I had one, did give it away to get someone into fountain pens...........it's main fault for me....was it was a nail and I don't care for nail/rigid/manifold nibs.

One can do something strange............learn to write larger. :happyberet:

Take two sheets of paper, fold in half. Start with one 'quarter' writing as large as you can....each 'quarter' a bit smaller until you get back to your tiny scribble.

It will then be much easier to write larger.

Look for a free line printing template, print out a few sheets of wider than 'collage' wide lines, so one is encouraged to write wider, and see if you can get a size of script that don't close your e's.

Inks, there are dryer two toned shading inks....Pelikan, Herbin, MB, R&K, some DA....even some Noodlers.....EF much less the even thinner Japanese EF, are not good for shading inks.

M&F are good widths for two toned shading inks. Where one has written with more pressure there is more ink, and it dries sitting on top of the paper....so there is two tones. :notworthy1: :puddle: 4/5ths of my 60 or so inks are shading inks.

There are vivid boring monotone supersaturated inks.

There are inks with sheen.......still behind the power curve with that.

Have some glitter inks and wider nibs are needed. So save your 'wide' M nib for that.

Many of Noodlers and it is my understanding most Japanese inks are wet. Waterman used to be considered wet a decade ago. Is a great ink to test pens with.

You didn't notice any difference when using 4001 inks in width....OK. Many buy a wet pen, a Pelikan and complain that it is too wet, ....but often that is because they are using their normal super wet inks.

Goulet(sp) a pen, ink and paper seller, sells ink samples at a fair price.....

Writing is 1/3 nib width/flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink, and in that order.

Go to Ink Reviews, and read any of Sandy1's :notworthy1: :thumbup: Ink Reviews....She is our First Ink Guru. Her written points of things inks 'do'/should do, will cover many that will be new to you.

She takes 4 normal pens of different widths and 4 different papers and writes with an ink..........it is so astounding what a different nib width, or paper can do to an ink color.

Over the years she has used 7 papers...................I keep saying I got to get some but never do.

@Bo Bo - The problem for me with increasing the size of my writing is that I journal as part of how I make my living and so taking up more space on expensive paper isn't necessarily a good thing for the wallet. Also, I feel like I have less control over my writing when it starts to get crazy big. It turns into something from a high school girl passing notes circa 1985. Very bubbly and round. I more apt to try to change up inks, but I had thought that the Pelikan 4001 ink was a pretty dry ink to begin with.

Paper is also a bit of an issue in that I'm using a Manufactus re-fillable journal. So the paper is handmade unlined but with a pretty smooth finish (a direct contrast to say soft Indian linen or cotton paper). Now when those refills run out I could try something else, but it needs to be a thick, unlined journal that can take a beating since I travel for shows and signings.

I'm want to embrace change provided it doesn't impact my career too much. LOL.

shawnee

... I've got two Sailors that do have a bleeding issue on some of the down strokes and one of those is a brand new Sailor that if I was honest with myself, I haven't been too keen on since I've gotten it.

Bleeding as in burping, with ink dripping down the nib/feed in an uncontrolled and unintended manner onto the page at random intervals, or bleeding as in bleed-through of ink to the opposite side of the paper?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

another option is JC Ament @ https://nibsonpoint.com/

He was at the Baltimore show and did my Conid. It was an excellent job. He is local to DC area.

Thank you. This really helps. I'm going to take a trip up to Nova soon because I feel like even though I keep putting it off, all my pen people are up there and I really want to meet people in the community and learn. There is so much information that it's daunting to say the least and you guys really do make a difference for me. Sorry, I probably got all smushy there at the end . . .

Bleeding as in burping, with ink dripping down the nib/feed in an uncontrolled and unintended manner onto the page at random intervals, or bleeding as in bleed-through of ink to the opposite side of the paper?

As in ink spread at the bottom of lower case Fs or the end of vertical lines like in a number 1. It's always on the down stroke and I swear I'm not pausing before I pick the nib back up. I'll see if I can take a picture. I feel like all I do is post pictures here of how everything goes horribly wrong. LOL. Also argh.

As in ink spread at the bottom of lower case Fs or the end of vertical lines like in a number 1. It's always on the down stroke and I swear I'm not pausing before I pick the nib back up.

OK, have you tried writing with that same ink on the same sheet of paper using a different pen? Just to be clear, I imagine you already have, and hence isolated the 'problem' to the Sailor pen/nib.

The reason I ask is that I had (unfair, in retrospect) reservations about Lamy's EF nibs for a long time, from my early experiences with them five years ago, and I also found the F nib on my Platinum Izumo soratame (of which my fiancée has quickly relieved me anyway) seemingly didn't write as crisply as the supposedly identical nib on my Izumo akatame (which I kept). It turned out that the common factor was Noodler's inks in the Polar range — specifically, Polar Green is more apt to feathering than Polar Brown, which is no saint itself in that regard. I also tried Noodler's 'Prime of the Commons' blue-black ink in the Izumo soratame, but that was another poor choice that is apt to feather on everything, but just not as badly as Polar Green. The effect would be particularly noticeable at the end of my up-to-down vertical strokes and left-to-right horizontal strokes, because I tend to have a micro-pause in my movement at the end of those. (In contrast, my diagonal strokes — such as the exit stroke on a lowercase 'g' or 'y' — tend to have sharp tails because I pull the nib away from the page in a curved motion at the end of those.)

Now that I have Diamine Graphite ink in one Lamy Safari with EF nib, and Sailor sekboku pigment ink in a Lamy CP1 with EF nib, it's all good.

I’m glad you are liking your Pelikan more. It’s funny, but the fine nib (steel) on my Cafe Creme is too fine for me. But I like italic and stub nibs.

Posted Image

Oooh, okay, you have my attention. I was going to head up to Bertram's for the first time on Friday since it's my birthday this week and I was going to drag my dad along on the long drive, but maybe I'll wait. I've got a Montblanc 146 that definitely needs a grind and maybe I'll take the Pelikan 'M' nib. Thank you for this. That is super helpful!

Did you have Tim work on your pen?

Did you have Tim work on your pen?

Unfortunately, no. Nor have I gotten a chance to go up to Bertram's at all. I've been AWOL here as you guys have probably noticed because I'm at the end of a book deadline and I've got a show coming up. I'm going to see if I can get up to NOVA in June.