Taming A Pilot Music Nib

Karmachanic

I sometimes confuse them. I’m in the US (though right this moment I’m near London), so I generally don’t order from them. If you do get some of those samples, I do highly recommend Citrus Black. Its a super fun ink to see transform from the nib on the paper: from very pale yellow to murky olive-ish hue within a second or two. Most dramatic with a wet pen—it can actually go from barely visible toward black with a dip pen! The other colors don’t shift as much. I’ve tried them all except Forest Black.

P.S.: did not find any interesting pen stores in London. Probably nothing in Norwich too... Wish I could get a good selection of Diamine somewhere since they are “local”, or some German inks (Octopus and R&K).

Sorry. London doesn't do pens really. Inks even less. Harrods, Selfridges, Pen Shop is it I'm afraid. You could order from Cult Pens/The Writing Desk/Hamilton Pen Company.

In London:

Choosing Keeping is a neat stationary store with a selection of pens and ink, as well as some paper goods!

Green & Stone, is an art supply store that has a few different brands of fountain pen ink, and a smaller selection of pens, such as the Rotring Art pen

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• Intensity

• Uncial

• lgsoltek

I'm so jealous... Look at mine. With a dry ink it's a torture:

fpn_1542556650__jpeg_image-37128853a2d5-

I'm baffled. I have Andromeda and find it a wet ink. Takes an absolute age to dry.

Or are you demonstrating that it skips with a wet ink?

Actually my 74music nib skips alot and is dry. It can never be too wet unless I removed the breather tube, that, is then the optimal flow for me.

Thank you Noihvo. I did some digging using the search function. I'll try 4:1 ink to water to start and see how it goes. I also found suggestions using glycerine. I'll stick with water to begin with.

I'll also order samples of inks deemed dry to include: Edelstein Topaz, Sailor Souten, Platinum Cassis Black, and Callifolio Equinox 6.

edit to add; Rober Oster Blue Sea :rolleyes: (thanks Intensity)

This should keep me busy for a while!

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Just remembered Robert Oster inks. All the ones I’ve tried are on the dry side.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 4 months later...

Really? My Pilot Music nib is dry as hell... It skips a lot and needs the wettest inks to be able to write decently smooth!

I haven’t tried a wet enough ink to coax my Pilot CH 912 MS to write. My 912 BB poured ink so that the feed could not keep up. I had the nib modified to CI, but the feed still does not keep up. Shame, because the pen feels great. And, the CI writes beautifully, just not for very long.

I think whether the Pilot MS nib is "too" wet or dry depends largely on the speed/rate of travel of your pen strokes.

fpn_1559191377__pilot_c74_music_writing_

I don't like how wet my #5 Music-nibbed Pilot Custom 74 writes, with Robert Oster Marrone Mustard ink, when I'm "printing" to fit 7mm-ruled lines. It is tolerable when I use the rule-of-thumb of setting the x-height to five nib-widths (i.e. about 5mm) for "italic" lettering, but then the physical dimensions of the handwritten words make me want to vomit.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I've sent the pen off to a nib spa. It will return with a slimmer vertical line. That in combination with a drier ink should do the trick.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I've sent the pen off to a nib spa.

I'd say that's a good call. It's a shame sending pens/nibs off to be customised, especially after they have already been received from the vendor after their initial purchase, is not really a viable/sound option here in Australia.

I'm told by the organisers of the Sydney Pen Show 2019 that there will be a nibmeister in attendance and taking customisation work on the spot, so I'll be bringing my very neglected (and much disliked) Pelikan M815 there to have its nib reground. On the other hand, I really don't love the form factor of the Pilot Custom 74, so I'm not sure it would be a good call for me to have my C74's Music nib reground at (what I expect will be) another 40%-50% of the pen's initial purchase price.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.