Taming A Pilot Music Nib

Karmachanic

I very much like the austere formality of the Pilot 912 and thought that an MS nib would off-set that nicely. The pen arrived and I inked it up right away with Monteverde Copper Noir. Oh dear.

The nib is a fire hose! So wet and hard to control. What to do? I recalled a recent thread extolling the virtues of Kiwa-Guro. I purchased a bottle. Analogous to putting high performance tyres on a car! I now have traction, control, the nib hugs the page and allows for precise manoeuvers. edit to add: and crisper lines

Fantastic!! Now I can comfortably use this pen. Only thing is, the ink is black. I have no problem with black. I like black, but it’s only black, and I’ve become quite fond of KWZ Walk Over Vistula. So much so that I’m ashamed to admit I have three bottles.

So I seek advice on inks with similar characteristics, that are more colourful, which exhibit shading. Maybe Pelikan Edelstein? Topaz in particular?

Lgsoltek speaks of it’s lack of lubrication, which may be a good thing is this context.
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/314698-pelikan-edelstein-aquamarine/

Like the shading here! Thank you Sandy1
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/174538-pelikan-edelstein-topaz/

Or making it a little darker, as shown by sansenri.
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/308805-aquamarine-pelikan-edelstein-ink-of-the-year-2016/?p=4155306

I thank you for your insights and advice.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• Intensity

• Uncial

• lgsoltek

I love the Pilot music nib and I tend to use it with quite pale inks which also have a bit of shading; so things like Bungubox's Fujiyama Blue and Sailor's .....oops, can't recall the name, but it's a really icy blue colour. These inks are very nice out of the music nib. (the Sailor icy ink might be Yuki-akari??)

Too wet? No problem at all: feed it some Scabiosa, 4001 Royal Blue, Robert Oster.

Pale inks work great in such pens. Or add your own water.

Have fun!

Scabiosa look like it has the characteristics that would suit, but unfortunately not the colour. That would be an emphatic no!

I've read somewhere that RO inks can be dry. I have a Blue Sea sample I can try after I get through the Kiwa Guro fill.

Interesting that Lgsoltek and I have nibs at opposite ends of the spectrum, given Pilot's reputation for quality control. Maybe you got the "special" one?

Please keep it coming!

Edited by Karmachanic

Mmmh so pale ink that is sort of dry... Kyo No Oto Hisoku, currently has problems even starting up with an otherwise reliable Metropolitan M.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Mmmh so pale ink that is sort of dry... Kyo No Oto Hisoku, currently has problems even starting up with an otherwise reliable Metropolitan M.

Thanks for the suggestion, but pale is not something I'm particularly looking for. That came from Uncial. In the original post more colourful, which exhibit shading was mentioned. I'm from a tropical island, and therefore not predisposed to pale. :) I will however, keep it in mind as a back-up.

What about Sailor Souten or Nioi-sumire? Mine tend to like my overly wet pens and control them fairly well.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Platinum Classic IG inks look great out of high flow pens (super high shading).

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

What about Sailor Souten or Nioi-sumire? Mine tend to like my overly wet pens and control them fairly well.

Thank you. Souten the controller goes on the list!

Platinum Classic IG inks look great out of high flow pens (super high shading).

But do they tame high flow pens? Dat's da question!

I got great shading out of Montegrappa Copper Noir, but the flow was (subjectively) overwhelming.

Yes, I believe they do. I was pushing More ink into the feed constantly with Platinum IG inks on my modded (for higher flow!) Lamy Al-star with 1.1mm nib. The inks look rather pale until you get a seriously juicy line down. At that point, they exhibit striking shading and are much more legible. I recommend a few samples: Citrus Black, etc.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Yes, I believe they do. I was pushing More ink into the feed constantly with Platinum IG inks on my modded (for higher flow!) Lamy Al-star with 1.1mm nib. The inks look rather pale until you get a seriously juicy line down. At that point, they exhibit striking shading and are much more legible. I recommend a few samples: Citrus Black, etc.

Had a look around and the Cassis rings my bell. However at £22 a bottle, and with no samples available here, it will go on the bottom of the list. I may well purchase it at a later date however, as it looks to be an intriguing ink. Thank you for the suggestion.

Edited by Karmachanic

Ah in the UK. I would have suggested the Writing Desk, but apparently they just went out of business and neglected to close their online store. Found this though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INK-SAMPLES-Miscellaneous-2-ml-Samples-59-Shades/292889818642?var=591658169142&hash=item443197f612:m:mkReKTJtN9XuBt42dwvanbg

:D Thanks for that!

The Writing Desk is very much still in business. Bureau Direct isn't

I sometimes confuse them. I’m in the US (though right this moment I’m near London), so I generally don’t order from them. If you do get some of those samples, I do highly recommend Citrus Black. Its a super fun ink to see transform from the nib on the paper: from very pale yellow to murky olive-ish hue within a second or two. Most dramatic with a wet pen—it can actually go from barely visible toward black with a dip pen! The other colors don’t shift as much. I’ve tried them all except Forest Black.

P.S.: did not find any interesting pen stores in London. Probably nothing in Norwich too... Wish I could get a good selection of Diamine somewhere since they are “local”, or some German inks (Octopus and R&K).

Edited by Intensity

Sorry. London doesn't do pens really. Inks even less. Harrods, Selfridges, Pen Shop is it I'm afraid. You could order from Cult Pens/The Writing Desk/Hamilton Pen Company.