Ranga Model 8 Black Ebonite

vamsivadrevu

This is my first review on FPN. I recently ordered a Ranga Model 8 with JoWo #6 Nib in Gold Mono Tone from Mr. Kandan. Body Black Ebonite glossy finish. He's been extremely responsive and patiently answered all my questions. I'm addicted to his pens. I recently ordered his newly released Model 9B pens as well.

So here goes my review;

post-146823-0-22717700-1547851353_thumb.jpg

Design and Construction: 8/10

I absolutely love the torpedo and cigar shaped pens. This torpedo shape is my favourite. A Standard Swiss army knife for size reference.

post-146823-0-19354600-1547852747_thumb.jpg

The pen is very light in weight at just 19gm capped and inked. However this light weight doesn't make the pen feel cheap. It feels quite robust. It is well balanced when writing. The cap however, doesn't post securely, this is not a pen that is meant to be posted. The cap also easily clips into pockets as the size of the pen is average (just a tad longer than a Pilot Metropolitan). It is perfectly suited for daily carry.

post-146823-0-26063100-1547852142_thumb.jpg

The body of the pen weighs just 11gm

post-146823-0-67551300-1547852183_thumb.jpg

It is very well built. The cap threads are very well cut. There's no skipping of threads when screwing and unscrewing the cap. The action is smooth and inspires confidence.

post-146823-0-65431700-1547852246_thumb.jpg

The finish on the black ebonite is glossy and quite well done. However we can still see some tooling marks. Comparing it with another pen that I own (Deccan Advocate -- which is so well-finished that it's surface feels lacquered), I found that the finish could have been a little better. The quality of ebonite seems top notch. There are only two very small pits on the cap. (Visible only if one went about looking for them with a magnifying glass). The cap leaves some scratching marks on the barrel of the pen just below the point where the section threads into the barrel.. But this is common on all ebonite pens.

post-146823-0-91772000-1547852372_thumb.jpg

The section is a little slim for my liking (after being used to Deccan Advocate which is very thick) but I hope it is just a matter of getting used to its slim size. The section threads into the barrel very securely and smoothly and I'm pretty sure it is going to be leak proof but I've not tested it. It comes greased so that one can convert it to an Eye Dropper Pen).

I ordered the pen with a JoWo #6 Medium Nib with a cartridge converter.

post-146823-0-72272700-1547852571_thumb.jpg

The nib is beautifully carved (JoWo Unit)

post-146823-0-04693000-1547853077_thumb.jpg

post-146823-0-10350300-1547853093_thumb.jpg

Nib, Feed and Writing Experience: 9/10

Since the pen comes equipped with a screw in JoWo Nib Unit, it is a typical JoWo nib performance. It writes relatively wet and extremely smoothly. The feed keeps up with all kinds of crazy writing speeds. The tines are very rigid as nail. No Flex properties exhibited (I don't like Flex). I also ordered a 1.1 Stub Nib that I have yet to test. I'll post a separate review for the Stub Nib when I rotate my inks and replace this medium nib with stub nib.

post-146823-0-86010400-1547854423_thumb.jpg

post-146823-0-87417200-1547853267_thumb.jpg

post-146823-0-59751400-1547853706_thumb.jpg

With Parker Quink Blue, the flow is very good and the nib glides on the paper. (A standard Classmate notebook). There is however a slight problem of ink sticking to the walls of the Schmidt Cartridge converter and not flowing down into the feed when beginning to write. A small metal agitator (stainless steel ball bearing or spring) might probably be needed to fix this problem. Suggestions are welcome on how I can get a steel ball into the Schmidt K5 Cartridge Converter.

I've loved the writing experience so much that I filled half the notebook with just scribbling. The entire experience of the nib gliding on the paper is very therapeutic!

Overall I'd give this pen a solid 8.5/10.

Edited by vamsivadrevu

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vamsivadrevu

• sansenri

• prashant.tikekar

• bobje

Thanks for a nice review. It is a very good pen, I have this in Matt Black finish. You can unscrew metal sleeve on the back of Schmidt converter and remove piston and add small steel ball (you can get it from a cycle shop) to break surface tension.

That is one elegant, understated, lovely pen. Thank you for investing so much time in this detailed review. Great photography, and a truly innovative macro shot of the nib. I have never seen that shot before, and may attempt to duplicate it in the future. Well done review in all respects.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Thanks for a nice review. It is a very good pen, I have this in Matt Black finish. You can unscrew metal sleeve on the back of Schmidt converter and remove piston and add small steel ball (you can get it from a cycle shop) to break surface tension.

Thank you Prashant. I'll get the steel ball from cycle shop today and try it out!

That is one elegant, understated, lovely pen. Thank you for investing so much time in this detailed review. Great photography, and a truly innovative macro shot of the nib. I have never seen that shot before, and may attempt to duplicate it in the future. Well done review in all respects.

Thank you.. Yes I didn't have a proper magnifying glass so I had to improvise with the magnifier in my Swiss army knife! Didn't expect the images to turn out as they did. I was shooting with my phone (OnePlus 3T). Next time I'll use my DSLR for proper images... I'm in the process of compiling a review for my Deccan advocate.

Every time Ive purchased a Ranga I always opted to go with black ebonite with matte finish.

Ive always enjoyed all my Rangas and I might have unknowingly avoided the tooling marks issue which is mentioned in the review.

Very nice thorough review, by the way, of an excellent pen: the Ranga 8.

I keep mine with my checkbook, loaded with sailor Kiwa-guro to make out all my checks.

This is my first review on FPN. I recently ordered a Ranga Model 8 with JoWo #6 Nib in Gold Mono Tone from Mr. Kandan. Body Black Ebonite glossy finish. He's been extremely responsive and patiently answered all my questions. I'm addicted to his pens. I recently ordered his newly released Model 9B pens as well.

So here goes my review;

attachicon.gif IMG_20190119_040217.jpg

Design and Construction: 8/10

I absolutely love the torpedo and cigar shaped pens. This torpedo shape is my favourite. A Standard Swiss army knife for size reference.

attachicon.gif IMG_20190119_042201.jpg

The pen is very light in weight at just 19gm capped and inked. However this light weight doesn't make the pen feel cheap. It feels quite robust. It is well balanced when writing. The cap however, doesn't post securely, this is not a pen that is meant to be posted. The cap also easily clips into pockets as the size of the pen is average (just a tad longer than a Pilot Metropolitan). It is perfectly suited for daily carry.

attachicon.gif IMG_20190119_041606.jpg

The body of the pen weighs just 11gm

attachicon.gif IMG_20190119_041543.jpg

It is very well built. The cap threads are very well cut. There's no skipping of threads when screwing and unscrewing the cap. The action is smooth and inspires confidence.

attachicon.gif IMG_20190119_041909.jpg

The finish on the black ebonite is glossy and quite well done. However we can still see some tooling marks. Comparing it with another pen that I own (Deccan Advocate -- which is so well-finished that it's surface feels lacquered), I found that the finish could have been a little better. The quality of ebonite seems top notch. There are only two very small pits on the cap. (Visible only if one went about looking for them with a magnifying glass). The cap leaves some scratching marks on the barrel of the pen just below the point where the section threads into the barrel.. But this is common on all ebonite pens.

attachicon.gif IMG_20190119_041725.jpg

The section is a little slim for my liking (after being used to Deccan Advocate which is very thick) but I hope it is just a matter of getting used to its slim size. The section threads into the barrel very securely and smoothly and I'm pretty sure it is going to be leak proof but I've not tested it. It comes greased so that one can convert it to an Eye Dropper Pen).

I ordered the pen with a JoWo #6 Medium Nib with a cartridge converter.

attachicon.gif IMG_20190119_042006.jpg

The nib is beautifully carved (JoWo Unit)

attachicon.gif IMG_20190119_040054.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20190119_040042.jpg

Nib, Feed and Writing Experience: 9/10

Since the pen comes equipped with a screw in JoWo Nib Unit, it is a typical JoWo nib performance. It writes relatively wet and extremely smoothly. The feed keeps up with all kinds of crazy writing speeds. The tines are very rigid as nail. No Flex properties exhibited (I don't like Flex). I also ordered a 1.1 Stub Nib that I have yet to test. I'll post a separate review for the Stub Nib when I rotate my inks and replace this medium nib with stub nib.

attachicon.gif IMG_20190119_040246.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20190119_035902.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20190119_035511.jpg

With Parker Quink Blue, the flow is very good and the nib glides on the paper. (A standard Classmate notebook). There is however a slight problem of ink sticking to the walls of the Schmidt Cartridge converter and not flowing down into the feed when beginning to write. A small metal agitator (stainless steel ball bearing or spring) might probably be needed to fix this problem. Suggestions are welcome on how I can get a steel ball into the Schmidt K5 Cartridge Converter.

I've loved the writing experience so much that I filled half the notebook with just scribbling. The entire experience of the nib gliding on the paper is very therapeutic!

Overall I'd give this pen a solid 8.5/10.

Dear Sir,

Big Thanks for your detailed review and Pictures!!!! We are very happy that you are enjoying our pen

Regarsds,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

thank you for a very nice review.

The model 8 is a lovely pen, and I assure you that you do get used to the smaller section to the extent that it does not bother you.

Due to size it's also a convenient carry pen (other Rangas are considerably bigger).

The ED version of this pen has an even more generous flow.

thank you for a very nice review.

The model 8 is a lovely pen, and I assure you that you do get used to the smaller section to the extent that it does not bother you.

Due to size it's also a convenient carry pen (other Rangas are considerably bigger).

The ED version of this pen has an even more generous flow.

I have been regularly using model 8 for about 2 weeks now and the more I use it, the more comfortable I'm getting with it. It's such a good writing instrument. Everything about it is perfectly calibrated for writing beautifully. I barely have to put pressure and the nib flows beautifully on the paper. Just the experience of writing with it is perfect. It's become my daily carry go-to pen. The other pens in my collection are left out.

I don't know if Mr.Kandan polishes and tunes the jowo nibs but this jowo unit is just perfectly tuned. Very smooth and just enough feedback that the writing speed is precisely controlled. And the thin section makes holding the pen lightly a breeze. No pressure necessary. No fatigue on long writing sessions

Edited by vamsivadrevu

Dear Sir,

Big Thanks for your detailed review and Pictures!!!! We are very happy that you are enjoying our pen

Regarsds,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Yes I'm thoroughly enjoying the pen. Do you tune the jowo nibs that you use on your pens? Because this jowo unit is so well calibrated that it has become my favorite writer. Thank you for the wonderful writing instrument Mr. Kandan. You're truly an artist.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been regularly using model 8 for about 2 weeks now and the more I use it, the more comfortable I'm getting with it. It's such a good writing instrument. Everything about it is perfectly calibrated for writing beautifully. I barely have to put pressure and the nib flows beautifully on the paper. Just the experience of writing with it is perfect. It's become my daily carry go-to pen. The other pens in my collection are left out.

I don't know if Mr.Kandan polishes and tunes the jowo nibs but this jowo unit is just perfectly tuned. Very smooth and just enough feedback that the writing speed is precisely controlled. And the thin section makes holding the pen lightly a breeze. No pressure necessary. No fatigue on long writing sessions

There you go, the model 8 is an addictive pen, as it's so comfortable!

For those who find the section just slightly too thin, the 8B is the next size to try.

I love them both!

here is my pink blue model 8

fpn_1549750915__p1130886-3_ranga_8_pink_

Edited by sansenri

Thank you for a great review. I have the 8B version of your pen and it's one of my absolute favourites. So much so that I've just ordered an acrylic 8B.

Al

There you go, the model 8 is an addictive pen, as it's so comfortable!

For those who find the section just slightly too thin, the 8B is the next size to try.

I love them both!

here is my pink blue model 8

fpn_1549750915__p1130886-3_ranga_8_pink_

I changed the nib unit from medium to 1.1 stub. And this is exceptional for beautiful handwriting. The stub nib is very smooth as well. I'm glad I ordered 2 nib units with my Ranga model 8. It's such a nice pen, I want to use it with all kinds of nibs from jowo! It is indeed an addictive pen