Favorite Cursive Italic Pen Or Nib?

Madeline

I have been looking for a vintage cursive italic pen for a while (especially a Swan) but they seem a bit difficult to find. So I've thought about looking for a more modern pen with a cursive italic nib, or with a stub nib. How are those two different from each other? (and their related cousin, an oblique?) I have a vintage Pelikan with an oblique nib which is tremendous fun. And I've read about these three nib types and their differences. But if anyone out there has all three types (cursive italic, stub, and an oblique nibbed pen), I would love to see comparative writing samples (whether they are vintage pens or not) and to hear what you think of all three.

And because I am still most intrigued by the cursive italic nibs/pens, it would be very interesting to hear what your favorite cursive italic pen(s) might be, either vintage or modern.

~ madeline

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Madeline

• Honeybadgers

• pajaro

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like my Osmiroid 65, vintage lever-filler, with a medium straight italic nib that I sharpen.

Other osmiroid, delta, esterbrook nibs fit the pen.

Sometimes I put the nib on my Esterbrook J.

The the italic nibs come in several widths and the edges can be soften to cursive italic.

I also have a Pilot Plumix, modern c/c filler, with a M calligraphy nib that's a cursive italic.

The line width is similar to the osmiroid nib, but not as crisp.

Edited by cattar

I have been looking for a vintage cursive italic pen for a while (especially a Swan) but they seem a bit difficult to find. So I've thought about looking for a more modern pen with a cursive italic nib, or with a stub nib. How are those two different from each other? (and their related cousin, an oblique?) I have a vintage Pelikan with an oblique nib which is tremendous fun. And I've read about these three nib types and their differences. But if anyone out there has all three types (cursive italic, stub, and an oblique nibbed pen), I would love to see comparative writing samples (whether they are vintage pens or not) and to hear what you think of all three.

And because I am still most intrigued by the cursive italic nibs/pens, it would be very interesting to hear what your favorite cursive italic pen(s) might be, either vintage or modern.

~ madeline

Here is a link describing the differences between the nibs to which you are referring along with some other types. Hope this helps a bit. :)

No affiliation btw... https://www.nibs.com/content/nib-customizations

I've heard that Italix pens are good modern pens that come in a very wide range of different nibs. Prices seem reasonably affordable too. Haven't tried them myself though.

Lamy makes stub nibs for their Safari and Al Star pens which are easily interchangeable, allowing one to own a single pen but try out a number of different sized nibs and styles of nibs. This is a relatively inexpensive way to try out stub nibs to see how you like them. I have two of Mr. Pen's Italix Cursive Italic nibs, one in medium, and one in broad, and both are nice writers. The medium, possibly because it is a narrower nib, has a smaller sweet spot, and therefore feels a bit crisper than the broad italic. Judging from the reported experience of many on FPN, Mr. Pen has been reported to offer excellent customer service. Although I own a few of his pens, I have never had any issues with his products requiring customer service. Like Lamy, his nib units are interchangeable on a given model, allowing you to try different nibs with a single pen. I believe there is a Massdop special going on right now for once of his pens. I enjoy writing with the stubs and cursive italics that I have, and my favorite is a Platinum 3776 Double Broad (Coarse) modified to a cursive italic, which writes very smoothly, with a reasonable sweetspot, and excellent line variation. I's recommend starting with stub nibs first, to get the general feel, as they are more forgiving. If you like the feel and look of the writing, then move on to cursive italics, which require more care with writing to keep on the sweetspot, but give even nicer line variation. I hope this is of some help.

~ madeline

My only experience is with modern cursive italic nibs. Steel, 14k and Titanium. Jowo and Bock. My favorite by far are the Titanium nibs because of their delightful softness, pencil like feedback, and glorious shading. I have three at present, and in all likelihood will aquire a fourth.

edit to add. Many modern pens use either Bock or Jowo nibs A pen that does so can use either.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

The later generation Parker Duofolds have italic nibs that are closer to a cursive italic in my opinion...Also, the Sheaffer Legacy I & IIs have a similar feel - marked as stub but closer to cursive italic...Aurora has a stub and an italic choice but to me their italic is more of a crisp italic than a cursive italic

Edited by tbickiii

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

I have a Lamy 1.5 stub. A Osmiroid Italic six nib set.

Neither are CI...PB took my nail 18K Lamy Persona OB, and made it a M-B or B-M CI. A bit sharper than a stub, a bit more rounded than Italic.

Unfortunately I can't get into Imgur right now or I'd show the great work PB did.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Montblanc 144 medium cursive italic. 14K nib.

Parker Sonnet fine and broad cursive italics. 18K nibs.

Sheaffer Prelude fine, medium and broad italics, steel, cursive italic nibs.

Sheaffer Cadet with Tip Dip S10 stub, which is a steel medium italic and not sharp edged.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thank you, everyone!

cattar and Bo Bo Olson, thank you for this "Oz" reminder. I also have an Osmiroid Mari 3 nib (on an Estie). I'm not sure how to describe its script though it's lovely (and it came from an FPN member, nicer still :)

LewBleu and InkyFingers, thanks for sending those websites. So helpful to see the script possible with these pens (especially those close-up photos and writing samples!)

Karmachanic-- I also love pens that feel like pencils. What kinds of pens are holding your titanium nibs? (or perhaps that is inconsequential, the main event happening at the nib?)

Bo Bo-- Who is PB? Is that Pendleton?

Herrjaeger, thank you for those many ideas. It's so useful to hear which of the pens/nibs are interchangeable--a great way to try out different nibs, yes! Another temptation--I've admired the Platinum 3776 in print for quite while. (And thanks for the heads-up on that Massdrop special!)

pajaro, tbickiii, SoulSamurai and all-- Thanks, everyone for sending your suggestions or favorites pen/nibs. I will be pining to try out some of those. Birthday is coming up in a few months. Will seek out one of those CIs for sure (or maybe a stub first!)

with much gratitude,

madeline

--Mark Twain

Karmachanic-- I also love pens that feel like pencils. What kinds of pens are holding your titanium nibs? (or perhaps that is inconsequential, the main event happening at the nib?)

For me the main point is that Bock Ti nibs will fit in any pen that takes either a #5 or #6 standard nib. If you have such a pen that you feel very comfortable with, and use regulalrly, then you can install this nib.

I have Ti nibs on a Conid Minimalistica Delrin and a matte black ebonite ASA Maya. A matte black ebonite Ranga Model 3 Short is on order, which will also take a Ti. Although the Indian pens are inexpensive I very much like the feel of the wider sections, as well as that of the pleasing sensation of matte ebonite. The fact that they are hand made is an added tangible bonus.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

For me the main point is that Bock Ti nibs will fit in any pen that takes either a #5 or #6 standard nib. If you have such a pen that you feel very comfortable with, and use regulalrly, then you can install this nib.

I have Ti nibs on a Conid Minimalistica Delrin and a matte black ebonite ASA Maya. A matte black ebonite Ranga Model 3 Short is on order, which will also take a Ti. Although the Indian pens are inexpensive I very much like the feel of the wider sections, as well as that of the pleasing sensation of matte ebonite. The fact that they are hand made is an added tangible bonus.

Thank you, Karmachanic! (The handmade Ranga pens are gorgeous. One of these days...! )

--Mark Twain

auzzUEI.jpg

Is it copper or rose-gold? What kind of Aurora is it? Very beautiful (script and pen!)

--Mark Twain

Pendleton Brown.....PB.

The edging into one name status.

Richard was Richard Binder...still is, but is perhaps looking for nibbles instead of nibs.

Rick is Rick Propas the Pelikan guru.

Ron is Ron Zorn... platinum advice; worth reading every time he posts.

There's a Mike or two.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Richard Binder's cursive italic Pelikan nibs are my favourites, because you can unscrew they and use them in any similar class of Pelikan and it becomes a "binderized" cursive italic.

I also love his sharp italics and obliques.

My only experience is with modern cursive italic nibs. Steel, 14k and Titanium. Jowo and Bock. My favorite by far are the Titanium nibs because of their delightful softness, pencil like feedback, and glorious shading. I have three at present, and in all likelihood will aquire a fourth.

edit to add. Many modern pens use either Bock or Jowo nibs A pen that does so can use either.

A footnote to Karmechanic's edit: While the Bock and Jowo nibs themselves are interchangeable in a given size (#5 or #6) the screw in nib units (comprising nib, feed and threaded housing) are not. Most members here know this, but the OP may not.

The threaded nib units are a great convenience since they save a lot of fine adjustment when changing nibs. I am playing now with Jowo M and B nibs reground to architect points by FPnibs.com in Spain. I will scan some writing samples (probably in the Broad Side thread) when I get a chance.

Thank you, everyone!

cattar and Bo Bo Olson, thank you for this "Oz" reminder. I also have an Osmiroid Mari 3 nib (on an Estie). I'm not sure how to describe its script though it's lovely (and it came from an FPN member, nicer still :)

LewBleu and InkyFingers, thanks for sending those websites. So helpful to see the script possible with these pens (especially those close-up photos and writing samples!)

Bo Bo-- Who is PB? Is that Pendleton?

Herrjaeger, thank you for those many ideas. It's so useful to hear which of the pens/nibs are interchangeable--a great way to try out different nibs, yes! Another temptation--I've admired the Platinum 3776 in print for quite while. (And thanks for the heads-up on that Massdrop special!)

pajaro, tbickiii, SoulSamurai and all-- Thanks, everyone for sending your suggestions or favorites pen/nibs. I will be pining to try out some of those. Birthday is coming up in a few months. Will seek out one of those CIs for sure (or maybe a stub first!)

with much gratitude,

madeline

You may want to check out Nemosine pens with the .6mm and .8mm nibs. A number of online retailer carry them. One of the dealers I have had excellent experiences with is Birmingham Pens. He was formerly xFountain pens. http://birminghampens.com/.

One other comment... A number of years ago at the New England Pen Show I purchased a TWSBI 580 with a broad nib BLS modified. It has been one of my favorites. I consider it a cursive italic nib. One think I particularly like it that it is tipped and the tip is modified for CI/stub dimensions/writing. Some of the other pens that are CI have NO tipping so they wear more quickly.

NOTE: No affiliation with the above mentioned businesses.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

The TWSBI 580 with the customized italic stub nibs are indeed tempting. And the Parson's Essential Italix. And the 3776. And the rose-gold Aurora 88. And.... no wonder you all have so many pens!

Bo Bo, thank you for the run down of names and their particular fields of expertise. My notebook is bulging.

BlueJ, thank you for going further with that explanation of interchangeability. Very good to know that level of detail. I see I am only just scratching the surface...

I seem to be leaning in the direction of a cursive italic pen, maybe the Parson's Essential or a Platinum Century 3776 customized to a cursive italic. It sounds like a stub nib might be easier to get used to but a CI might provide more line variation and possibly more potential for shading? (given the right paper, ink, etc). And I've been wanting one for a long time. The Swan I mentioned earlier was a pen with a cursive italic nib, offered in an ebay auction. I lost that one but seem to have gotten hooked in the process. Given the price and rarity of those italic Swans and the uncertainty in auctions, I've started looking at modern pens as well. And all of your suggestions have really helped to focus my deliberations. Thank you, all! If and when I acquire a new pen (before spring I hope!) I will post it here. :)

--Mark Twain