On The Perils Of Poor Ebay Photos

sopher

Poor little Skyline. Looks like this fellow was dropped on his face at some "point" (sorry).

Only shot of the nib in the small ebay photos was at an angle that showed no damage.

http://i63.tinypic.com/10frsdf.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inky.Fingers

• sopher

• JonSzanto

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mantra: Assume the worst.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

How was the pen described? You may be able to claim that the pen was not as advertised.

Whenever I'm eBay hunting, I ask for condition of the nib and tines.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting issues

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I only buy from a small handful of sellers that I trust. Cheepjeep and Tbickii are two of those and they have Skylines up quite often.

How was the pen described? You may be able to claim that the pen was not as advertised.

Whenever I'm eBay hunting, I ask for condition of the nib and tines.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting issues

it was the standard, "i don't know anything about pens" description. But they knew enough to mention the 14K nib in the listing and then only show it side-on so the damage didn't show.

I will certainly ask next time. I got it for only $28, so it's not a great loss.

Edited by sopher

Take a pad or a spiral notebook, place nib tip on the edge, massage into shape with the dull end of a drill bit. Worked for me once.....was lucky....that one was bent more than yours....could be I had a second that was bent a bit less than yours.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I've had an ebay seller swap a good nib from the photo for one with a bilaterally cracked breather hole.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...

From the generosity of OP giving be the very first time to smooth a nib that is not mine. Thanks for taking the risk with me...

Here's an update:

Cxmmt5O.jpg

d4Z3qI5.jpg

M3TCsME.jpg

kiY95W3.jpg

From HomeDepot

Fla0YhO.jpg

WGaVwZv.jpg

SrffnDd.jpg

From working out the wrinkles

Pf7ZahE.jpg

gUrkXm5.jpg

q4RArt6.jpg

I need more magnification...need to order some microscope first before being able to continue...

That's looking really good! That jig you made to pull the nib is quite clever.

If I'm looking at it correctly, that did not pull the nib. Rather, it pushed out the feed from the rear, the same function as a knockout block without the initial shock of blows from a hammer and striking pin.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

That's just a factory fude. You didn't know eversharp was on the cutting edge of japanese fountain pens in the 40's?

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I was afraid of my knock out blow might damage the section. I always wanted to do something more gental. It worked like a charm. To protect the feed, I put an o-ring inside the section first. The piston then pushed against the o-ring/nib/feed. It is rather wonderful to see it came out so easy.

Edited by _InkyFingers

I was afraid of my knock out blow might damage the section. I always wanted to do something more gental. It worked like a charm. To protect the feed, I put an o-ring inside the section first. The piston then pushed against the o-ring/nib/feed. It is rather wonderful to see it came out so easy.

I've gotten pretty used to it. A ride in the ultrasonic, a little heat, and then repeated moderate taps with a non-gigantic hammer. I haven't messed up any yet.

BTW: a tip I learned from a pro (which doesn't appear in the photos) - mark the section so that you know where the breather hole of the nib lines up. Especially with an ebonite section, time can cause the three elements (nib/feed/section) to mold themselves to one another and it's a good idea to orient them all in the same place when reassembling.

~ Benjamin Franklin

That's just a factory fude. You didn't know eversharp was on the cutting edge of japanese fountain pens in the 40's?

:lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

Actually, that is what I thought when I first looked at it. Then I saw the name on the nib.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 2 weeks later...