Music From The Ocean

Eric2018

Music from the Ocean

It was a little fight for the Slim or the Standard one. Would the Slim be too small? Would the 14k nib performs bad? As I had the Standard already, also the price is just half of the Standard, I give the Slim a shot.

v9MO7Gb.jpg

A slim review:

Outlook: Normal package with converter, normal excellent quality, zero complaint. Oh I love the THICK center band (KOP induced?) and is in shinny chrome details, I always prefer chrome than gold. (The center band of the regular Slim has two ring lines). And the color is a special, a voyage green blended with little blue I think, and the whole body is nearly opaque. (Yet it’s not difficult to persuade yourself that you could “see through” the material…) The pen is quite light, and yes, it is quite smaller than the standard. The pen seems to be a bit short when uncapped, (I could use the Standard uncapped happily), but I could adapt it easily as I like light pens too.

14k Music Nib: I flush the pen with mild soap water before having it inked, and I picked the Diamine’s Golden Honey this time. The nib is very smooth with good feedback. It is a wet nib but not as wet as the pilot or platinum music nib that has 3 tines (I don’t have any music nib, just have a try on a pen shop before). This music nib has only one slit and two tines, and that’s the reason for me to choose it. Writing with a not very wet music nib is fun, like writing a 1.1 stub or italic, but wetter, and smoother. As said in many threads, writing with music nib or stub, a little adjustment on writing angle is needed, yes, it is, but not difficult, the sweet spot is quite large for this pen actually.

4737TcQ.jpg

Conclusion: Pro Gear: Standard or Slim? I choose Standard, always. But if you had the standard already like me, surely it is not a bad idea to get the slim, the smaller size fits many shirt pockets (also the slim price this time is just half of the standard). Performance wise, no worry, Sailor has good nibs, 21k is wonderful, but 14k is very good already. I am very, very happy to have this, no regret at all. Again, I love the thick center band, it makes the pen looks thicker…lol.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Driften

• biancitwo

• Eric2018

I have both the slim and standard pro gear Ocean. I like them both, but like the standard size better. Good pens...

Glad to see it worked out, a size comparison would be greatly appreciated.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 3 months later...

I have both the slim and standard pro gear Ocean. I like them both, but like the standard size better. Good pens...

Sorry to drag it up, but have you experienced any tarnishing on the bands?

Does the material seem softer than the standard Sailor black resin?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I am so glad to read your question concerning the hardness of Sailor’s standard black resin. I have two black Sailors, a 1911 standard and a 1911 large. They are the hardest pens I have, so hard they are not comfortable. I don’t use them. I have written on FPN several times about the hardness of this material. No one has uttered a response. I knew It wasn’t just my sensitive fingers. Thank you.

I am so glad to read your question concerning the hardness of Sailor’s standard black resin. I have two black Sailors, a 1911 standard and a 1911 large. They are the hardest pens I have, so hard they are not comfortable. I don’t use them. I have written on FPN several times about the hardness of this material. No one has uttered a response. I knew It wasn’t just my sensitive fingers. Thank you.

Do you have any other black resin pens that you find comfortable?

Any links to the earlier discussion/s regarding Sailor's hardness?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Do you have any other black resin pens that you find comfortable?

Any links to the earlier discussion/s regarding Sailor's hardness?

I have a Pelikan M800, and 2 Pilot Custom Heritage 912s in black ‘resin.’ Each of these is very comfortable, whereas the Sailors are too hard and uncomfortable. There are no earlier discussions. I raised the issue, and no one responded.

I have a Pelikan M800, and 2 Pilot Custom Heritage 912s in black ‘resin.’ Each of these is very comfortable, whereas the Sailors are too hard and uncomfortable. There are no earlier discussions. I raised the issue, and no one responded.

Will have to get a black Sailor in large/standard for the day to compare. I didn't realize that the difference was so prominent.

An interesting parameter, nonetheless.

Engineer :

No tarnishing and it feels about the same as when I had a standard black resin model.

No tarnishing and it feels about the same as when I had a standard black resin model.

Thank you.

Do you have a KoP by any chance?

Any new additions, pen or ink?

Engineer :

Thank you.

Do you have a KoP by any chance?

Any new additions, pen or ink?

Nope.... thanks for asking ;)

Nope.... thanks for asking wink.png

You are sticking to the plan of trimming purchases?

Engineer :

You are sticking to the plan of trimming purchases?

Working so far. No new pens have tempted me to buy and I still have so many favorite pens not getting enough use. As seasons change and we keep flirting with shorts weather, which pens I use change. That will bring up some of my favorite pocket pens back into use. Currently have 34 of 62 pens inked. Some need cleaning out and others put into rotation. My Pelikan m805 hasn't been used in 147 days but I just checked and it still wrote on touching paper. My Visconti HS needs to be inked. Lots of excellent pens crying out for attention. It's been 105 days since I used my Sailor Pro Gear Ocean, and 128 days for the Slim model. The standard just wrote on touching paper, the Slim needs ink. I think I will fill and use the Slim today! It's one of the pens that will get more use as the weather gets warmer. It's a nice pen for pocket carry.

Working so far. No new pens have tempted me to buy and I still have so many favorite pens not getting enough use. As seasons change and we keep flirting with shorts weather, which pens I use change. That will bring up some of my favorite pocket pens back into use. Currently have 34 of 62 pens inked. Some need cleaning out and others put into rotation. My Pelikan m805 hasn't been used in 147 days but I just checked and it still wrote on touching paper. My Visconti HS needs to be inked. Lots of excellent pens crying out for attention. It's been 105 days since I used my Sailor Pro Gear Ocean, and 128 days for the Slim model. The standard just wrote on touching paper, the Slim needs ink. I think I will fill and use the Slim today! It's one of the pens that will get more use as the weather gets warmer. It's a nice pen for pocket carry.

Excellent. thumbup.gif

You have plenty and you ought to concentrate on enjoying and appreciating the collection.

Getting to know the persona of each pen is just as important as the journey in acquiring them.

OTOH, I have bought only two bottles of ink.

Engineer :