A Frustrated Newbie From Virginia, Well, Mostly

shawnee

Welcome Shawnee.

I had a love affair at College with the Parker 25, then sat on it and we broke up (the pen at least). Decades later, when I searched for my first love it took me hours on EBAY to find a picture I recognised and give me the name P25. I would highly recommend the pen, it is a great workhorse and with an adapter will take any bottled ink.

I love writing and use a folded sheet of 100g A3 paper. It takes a while to fill but I feel cheated by short letters and writing on one side !!!! Having a collection of some thirty pens I am playing with inks and paper.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shawnee

• pen2paper

• sansenri

• Shrimpkin1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

welcome!

you have some good pens already and already got some good advice too

if you start with Montblanc you will be likely spoilt and it will take you time to find good substitutes when you want to change

one good advice you received, since you write small and should probably stick to F or EF nibs, but have found some of them scratchy, is to try out some Japanese pens.

Be aware their nibs run narrower than European nibs, so you may well find that an F Pilot nib, matches an EF Pelikan.

Where is the advantage? Notably Japanese nibs tend to be smoother, despite being narrow!

Also, as was mentioned, Japanese nibs often come in regular and soft version, so before rushing to buy a Pilot or Sailor pen online, try to find a shop where they will let you try one.

Be warned also that Japanese pens, with some notable exceptions, tend to be small, so if you're coming from a Montblanc 149, the experience will be very different

but have fun!

Edited by sansenri

Yeah, I'd kinda assumed that an overall guide to the different brands was going to be a pipe dream. And your logic about nib size is sound and I had a similar thought (which is too bad since both my vintage MBs are M nibs and yes, I haven't used them yet). I'm a pen hoarder. I have to stop petting them and start using them, I guess. But back on the brand issue, I'd love to know why people love Parker for instance. Those guys seem super enthusiastic. Or even the Pilot or Lamy folks. I can't have all the brands, my bank account can't handle it, so I need a way to streamline. So hard. But I guess that's a good problem to have - taking the glass half full approach....

The problem is fountain pens very personal. Someone might like a Visconti, but another one doesn´t like the nib or weight. You will just have to experiment to find out which pens you will like.

Thanks all for the welcomes and the advice. I think I’m going to try some Japanese pens quite possibly the Pilot custom 76. I’m also intrigued by the Platinum 3776 but really know bugger all about that brand and line.

I need to go do some research on the Japanese soft nibs because I’m not sure if I will need a standard M or maybe be FM or who knows maybe a soft F.

Time to read up!

With smaller handwriting I think you'll find some Japanese pens you really like, and the ones you mention are a great start to try. One resource you may enjoy clicking around is the "nib nook" on Goulet's site. It allows you to look at a brief writing sample of up to 4 different pens side-by-side. Here's the link: https://www.gouletpens.com/pages/nib-nook

There's no substitute for getting your hands on some pens to try, and a pen club/meet up or show is a great way to jump start things if there's something in your area. The Baltimore show (www.baltimorepenshow) gets great reviews from attendees and vendors, and it's from March 1-3 this year. It's not exactly in your neighborhood but may be worth trying if you can. The DC show (www.pencentral.com) is huge and runs from August 1-4 in Northern VA.

Najeeb

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

With smaller handwriting I think you'll find some Japanese pens you really like, and the ones you mention are a great start to try. One resource you may enjoy clicking around is the "nib nook" on Goulet's site. It allows you to look at a brief writing sample of up to 4 different pens side-by-side. Here's the link: https://www.gouletpens.com/pages/nib-nook

There's no substitute for getting your hands on some pens to try, and a pen club/meet up or show is a great way to jump start things if there's something in your area. The Baltimore show (www.baltimorepenshow) gets great reviews from attendees and vendors, and it's from March 1-3 this year. It's not exactly in your neighborhood but may be worth trying if you can. The DC show (www.pencentral.com) is huge and runs from August 1-4 in Northern VA.

I wish there was a club closer than northern Virginia - it's just too far to justify for me, but I might try some of the pen shows this year so thank you for mention the DC and Baltimore one. Also, the nib comparison with Goulet was very useful so thank you!

Well, some Platinum you can fall in love with actually...

fpn_1548194799__p1170223-e3_platinum_377

Okay. You have my attention. Oh my god. That's beautiful. Where did you get that Platinum??? Tell me how you feel about the broad nib. It is the equivalent to a Western 'M'?

shawnee

I just want to make sure I understand. You're talking about:

Platinum 3776 century

Platinum plaisir

Lamy Logo

Lamy Safari

I haven't heard a lot about Platinum. Can you give me some insight into the characteristics of their pens?

Platinum 3776 is a well balanced pen with a quality feel. It's not a small pen, yet is lightweight, & fits a small hand uncapped, to large hand cap posted. Smooth firm 14K nibs. Fine is fine. Medium is on the fine side. Wrote flawlessly out of the box. Platinum honestly boasts about cap design that prevents dry-out. Holds a full sized cartridge or converter. Consistent fine flow, not flooding avoids frequent refills.

Plaisir has the same cap, not 14K, but still is a solid basic performer.

Lamy Safari is a reliable workhorse. + you can change nibs. 1.1 adds character without gushing ink.

Lamy Logo is an under-sung surprise. Balanced & capped feels/writes like "expensive".

So, you want some advice, but not too much?

You are in an unusual position in the Fountain Pen world, a primarily user, but with deep enough pockets to get some very nice pens.

Calligraphy is not your thing, so you won't fit in with that group. Not even the financially secure ones who like nice pens, use them, but primarily focus on the nibs.

You aren't into the various inks so that isn't your focus, nor the paper group.

What you see regarding the brand focused people are typically collectors and you aren't a collector.

You aren't into leather work and binding, so not the journal making group either.

I believe you fit into the every day carry group, so look for posts mentioning EDC.

None of these groups are official in any way and most people fit into more than one, at least occasionally. As example for ink advice I suggest you look to the ink aficionados, they often do research on the qualities of the inks and make reports. For nib advice, in your case, the Journalizers are a good resource as they write a lot and often like fine or extra fine nibs and talk about those nibs a lot, especially in comparing brands of nibs or pens.

The advice you seek is available, just in different places on the fountain pen network.

And, if you want to play a bit and keep your costs down, take a look at the Chinese, Indian and Pakistan originated pens. For well less than the cost of one of your more expensive pens you could obtain a large number of different pens with different characteristics. Generally the younger Fountain Pen users focus on those pens, irrespective of income or assetts. I know people in that group who are quite comfortable using pens which cost a few dollars to several hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars. They often also like to experiment with inks a bit that may have some nasty characteristics and reserve the cheap pens for that purpose as well as for when they go out into the world in places that they might lose a pen.

Edited by Parker51

So, you want some advice, but not too much?

You are in an unusual position in the Fountain Pen world, a primarily user, but with deep enough pockets to get some very nice pens.

Calligraphy is not your thing, so you won't fit in with that group. Not even the financially secure ones who like nice pens, use them, but primarily focus on the nibs.

You aren't into the various inks so that isn't your focus, nor the paper group.

What you see regarding the brand focused people are typically collectors and you aren't a collector.

You aren't into leather work and binding, so not the journal making group either.

I believe you fit into the every day carry group, so look for posts mentioning EDC.

None of these groups are official in any way and most people fit into more than one, at least occasionally. As example for ink advice I suggest you look to the ink aficionados, they often do research on the qualities of the inks and make reports. For nib advice, in your case, the Journalizers are a good resource as they write a lot and often like fine or extra fine nibs and talk about those nibs a lot, especially in comparing brands of nibs or pens.

The advice you seek is available, just in different places on the fountain pen network.

And, if you want to play a bit and keep your costs down, take a look at the Chinese, Indian and Pakistan originated pens. For well less than the cost of one of your more expensive pens you could obtain a large number of different pens with different characteristics. Generally the younger Fountain Pen users focus on those pens, irrespective of income or assetts. I know people in that group who are quite comfortable using pens which cost a few dollars to several hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars. They often also like to experiment with inks a bit that may have some nasty characteristics and reserve the cheap pens for that purpose as well as for when they go out into the world in places that they might lose a pen.

What you say makes total sense to me and gives me a good idea of how the different groups work within FPN, which is frankly overwhelming regardless of the number of hours I've spent here trying to read (if only everyone properly tagged their posts my life would be awesome).

I am definitely a user and not necessarily a collector or hoarder because it's unlikely that I'm ever going to drop $5K on a pen or have 20 x MB149s. I just happened to start off in MB because that was what was given to me and I love the shape of the pen in my hand when journaling. Having said that, the MB149 that I just got already needs to be fixed (bad FP week) and also feels like it's going to be too big for me even with my large-ish girl hand. Live and learn.

I can appreciate paper, inks, and bindings though. I trained as a bookbinder, know how to make paper and have done an engraving or two in my time. Problem is there are waaaaay too many variables for me right now and my head can't take it all in. So I've focused on finding usable FPs that are a pleasure to write with and on occasion draw with. So OBs and italic nibs aren't off the table for some point in the future, but right now, I just want to see if I can find a brand that I can fall in love with. Or a couple with good, reliable pens that doesn't require an expert to maintain them. I have two MBs right now that are going to have to be repaired and I'm already over it.

I did order a Platinum 3776 so I'm looking forward to that. I also have a Lamy Safari with an M nib coming and at some point, I'm probably going to go for a Pilot if I can get my head around Japanese nibs. I don't want to make the same mistake I did with the Pelikan that I purchased which was to get it in an M nib and then realize it's waaay too wet and then have to buy another nib which then doubles the price of the pen.

I saved up my pennies to start this hobby. I've definitely blown my budget and probably should've started smaller. It's a humbling experience. I don't know how you guys do it.

shawnee

Platinum 3776 is a well balanced pen with a quality feel. It's not a small pen, yet is lightweight, & fits a small hand uncapped, to large hand cap posted. Smooth firm 14K nibs. Fine is fine. Medium is on the fine side. Wrote flawlessly out of the box. Platinum honestly boasts about cap design that prevents dry-out. Holds a full sized cartridge or converter. Consistent fine flow, not flooding avoids frequent refills.

Plaisir has the same cap, not 14K, but still is a solid basic performer.

Lamy Safari is a reliable workhorse. + you can change nibs. 1.1 adds character without gushing ink.

Lamy Logo is an under-sung surprise. Balanced & capped feels/writes like "expensive".

I took your advice and got a 3776. I'll let you know how it goes once it arrives. xo

Hello. My name is Shawnee and I'm an author aaaaand now I'm addicted to fountain pens.

Beyond the Shaeffer No Nonsense fountain pen that I got in the '80s as a teen and could never make work properly anyhow, my first true fountain pen was a Montblanc 145 with a nib exchange to a F nib using MB midnight blue and Private Reserve cartridges given to me for my birthday by my BFF in 2015ish. I have a love/hate relationship with that pen, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I have never cleaned it (don't yell) and I've hesitated to use the piston filler. I got lucky in 2016 and picked up a brand new vintage MB 146 with an unopened bottle of MB ink from a local consignment store and the fellas in the MB forum helped me peg it to the 1980s. I have hoarded that pen and occasionally take it out to pet it, but that's it.

Fast forward to January and for some reason, I can't stop thinking about FPs. I have bought a restored Brause with a steel nib on the cheap, another MB 146 (accidentally), a Pelikan P205 (horrible pen, it's going back) and a Pelikan M600 because the folks in the Pelikan forum made it sound like it was just the bee's knees (it is, but holy wet batman with an M nib). I also just bought an MB 149 that is going to need to be cleaned and it wasn't too expensive and I wanted to know if it lived up to the hype.

But this is the thing: I'm FP agnostic. MB was my first, but I'm still trying to find my groove when it comes to nibs and pens. I write every day with my FPs as an author so they get a work out and on some seriously beautiful Italian handmade unlined journals (the paper is beautiful and makes me want to weep, just enough tooth to pull the ink out longingly). I'm liking the Pelikan M600, but lordy, I think I'm going to have to go to an F nib because my hand writing is tiny and it's so wet that it's filling in. I also just pulled apart my husband's Lamy Safari which has sat dried up with an ink cartridge for 3-4 years trying my hand out at "cleaning" a pen. That wasn't as bad as I thought.

What I'm finding hardest right now is drilling down to basic stuff. I have tried every which way to find all the newbie posts on on FPN and want to punch the search function in the face. I went to Richard Binder's site and read up a bunch of things, but felt like maybe I was still not up to that level. I went to Youtube and starting watching videos - man that is a rabbit hole that you don't want to go down - but essentially, I'm doing the kermit flail trying to figure out if I'm going to screw up my pens and wondering if maybe I need to try to get some less expensive ones to test the waters.

I know there are Parker fans, and Shaeffer fans and Visconti fans and Pelikan fans and Monte Verde and the list goes on and on.

So I would love for someone to point me in the direction of the best newbie posts about pens and nibs and also any sage advice on how I might want to approach this MB149 when it wings its way into my mailbox this weekend. I'm almost tempted to send it off to MB for servicing, but not sure.

I just want to absorb all the knowledge like a sponge. My husband won't thank you for feeding my obsession, but that's okay, I'm happy to bribe you with books and the like.

xo

shawnee

If you write small, the Lamy Safari M can seem like a firehose, too.

I might also chime in to suggest at least one Platinum Plaisir, with their Fine nib. (I must have about every color and iteration of this model). It's sub-$20, and the carts are sturdy and easily refilled.

No worries about buying these from Amazon. And welcome aboard.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Okay. You have my attention. Oh my god. That's beautiful. Where did you get that Platinum??? Tell me how you feel about the broad nib. It is the equivalent to a Western 'M'?

shawnee

pen2paper has already described the 3776 quite well for you. It's a mid size pen, and I like the pen classic shape, with no step between barrel and section which annoys my fingers so much on other pens. The threads are also smooth. This pen is in celluloid.

Platinum has made the 3776 in a range of different celluloids most are really nice. if you google "3776 celluloid" it comes up immediately.

Anderson pens has it, but I bought it from some Japanese seller online sometime ago and don't really remember who from.

There is some saving but beware of the import taxes, which are usually not included in the selling price.

The 3776 has also been produced in some lovely briar wood.

The B nib is nice and as you mention it's a narrow B, close to a western M. I tend to like fine nibs only if the nib is flexy or at least soft, but platinum nibs are rather stiff. It's a very nice nib nonetheless, and the celluloid is mesmerizing, the picture although nice cannot capture the depth of the crystals that make up the material.

The use of celluloid adds some expense no doubt, so you have to be aware that part of the cost you pay is just for the pleasure of the looks (and feel, celluloid is a lovely material to hold).

PS which 3776 did you get, in the meantime?

Edited by sansenri

pen2paper has already described the 3776 quite well for you. It's a mid size pen, and I like the pen classic shape, with no step between barrel and section which annoys my fingers so much on other pens. The threads are also smooth. This pen is in celluloid.

Platinum has made the 3776 in a range of different celluloids most are really nice. if you google "3776 celluloid" it comes up immediately.

Anderson pens has it, but I bought it from some Japanese seller online sometime ago and don't really remember who from.

There is some saving but beware of the import taxes, which are usually not included in the selling price.

The 3776 has also been produced in some lovely briar wood.

The B nib is nice and as you mention it's a narrow B, close to a western M. I tend to like fine nibs only if the nib is flexy or at least soft, but platinum nibs are rather stiff. It's a very nice nib nonetheless, and the celluloid is mesmerizing, the picture although nice cannot capture the depth of the crystals that make up the material.

The use of celluloid adds some expense no doubt, so you have to be aware that part of the cost you pay is just for the pleasure of the looks (and feel, celluloid is a lovely material to hold).

PS which 3776 did you get, in the meantime?

I got the Platinum 3776 Century 'Chartres Blue' with an 'M' nib because it was less than $75 and I could get it on Prime. I don't normally buy from Amazon but they have had some great deals on pens lately.