Moonman M2 And Burping

cattar

When I'm out, I keep most pens in a case in my bag. Sometimes that bag gets tossed onto a couch.
Other pens handle that, but the Moonman will burp ink into the cap.

I know to warm a pen in my hand nib up (I have sac fillers and they're less burpy than this pen.)
When the M2 is half full, it burps ink into the cap while sitting on the desk and then the pen spits while writing.

Before I bought the M2, I'd read posts that this pen didn't burp despite being an eyedropper.
I want to like this pen. But the burping...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cattar

• goodpens

• Tweety06

• old4570

If you treat the pen more gentle, does it still burp?

Edited by mke

As long as the M2 is 3/4 to completely full of ink, it's fine when left on the desk, even when laid horizontally.

But with less ink in the pen, even when left horizontally on the desk with other pens, the M2 will burp into its cap.

If it were any other pen, I'd wonder if it had an air leak.

Edited by cattar

Had hoped to do without silicone for this pen.

Will get some.

If that works, may change the nib. Or may not, people like trying the pen.

make sure the threads on the section are greased. the O ring isn't enough. And make sure the feed and nib are pressed all the way in. it shouldn't burp at all, my m2 can almost completely drain itself before it burps.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Silicone grease is your friend. Don't be shy with its application but don't be putting it on like icing a cake either.

My M2 has started burping, leaking between the feed and the nib.

Do you mean use silicone grease on the threads between the barrel and the grip? Since my leak isnt here, is the idea that the silicone would prevent any *air* from getting in and messing up air pressure, which causes the ink to get pushed out? Or is silicone used just to hold parts together and prevent ink from dripping out at that point of contact?

I have used the grease for other purposes, including a Preppy eyedropper conversion, but I am new to it (and confused) in this M2 instance.

Edited by goodpens

Mine doesn't burp ink into the cap, but blobs of ink fall out when I'm writing; is this something that can be fixed with silicone? If so, where do I put the silicone? (Sorry for all of the newbie questions; this is my first eyedropper.)

Mine doesn't burp ink into the cap, but blobs of ink fall out when I'm writing; is this something that can be fixed with silicone? If so, where do I put the silicone? (Sorry for all of the newbie questions; this is my first eyedropper.)

I think you and I have the same issues/questions.

goodpens and tweety

Yes, put the silicone on the threads between the barrel and the section (grip), even though the ink is leaking, blobbing, burping at the nib.

Also check that nib/feed are a fully inserted. Look at the ad pictures to check.

Those steps resolve an Ink leaking, blobbing, burping caused by an air leak.

Then there's leakage caused by air temperature change.

The pen is an eyedropper. That means the air inside will warm with your hand and expand, which can also cause ink to leak, blob, burp from the nib.

Before writing with the pen, hold it nib upright in your hand until the pen is as warm as your hand. This allows the expanded air to escape without burping ink.

If you're in a winter area and take the pen outside, remember to give the pen enough nib up warm up time in your hand before writing. If it's really cold, this can take a while. Or leave this pen at home, and take others on the road in winter.

Edited by cattar

goodpens and tweety

Yes, put the silicone on the threads between the barrel and the section (grip), even though the ink is leaking, blobbing, burping at the nib.

Also check that nib/feed are a fully inserted. Look at the ad pictures to check.

The pen is an eyedropper. That means the air inside will warm with your hand and expand, which can also cause ink to leak, blob, burp from the nib.

Before writing with the pen, hold it nib upright in your hand until the pen is as warm as your hand. This allows the expanded air to escape without burping ink.

If you're in a winter area and take the pen outside, remember to give the pen enough nib up warm up time in your hand before writing. If it's really cold, this can take a while. Or leave this pen at home, and take others on the road in winter.

Thank you, Cattar. Perhaps it seems like "Eyedropper 101," but it is helpful. (It is snowy and cold here, so I'm sure the weather must be a factor in my issues.)

The O ring , just behind the NIB that supposedly seals the feed .. Is it seated correctly ?

Cos if you opened things up ? , That O ring is a bit of a beehive to get seated correctly .

Edited by old4570

Haven't swapped nibs yet.

But if I can get this pen to stop burping on my desk, I will.

I'll watch out for that O-ring and reseating nib/feed.

Thanks.

goodpens and tweety

Thank you very much, I will give these tips a try!

• 2 weeks later...

My two Moonman 2 stopped burping either on the page or in the cap when I applied silicon grease to the threads. I now am going to try it with my FPR Muft before chucking it in the bin.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of silicone grease, which meddled with the ink in my Moonman 2, I applied soft white orthodontic wax around the feed - keeping the ink groove clear - and made sure the feed was completely seated inside the barrel. Now it works like a charm, and the pen always resides on my desk. Still I am a bit afraid to carry the pen inside my pocket for fear of ink leakage . Hope this somewhat helps...

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know what the size is for the o ring size that is sealing the screw in section ? Mine was lost before I even knew it existed.

That being said the section is very tight and ink barely gets in there. I actually seem to have a bit of an issue with not enough air getting through the feed resulting in needing to fairly regularly prime the feed by shaking the pen frantically ...