Anyone Have 0.3 Platinum Preppy Nibs?

Sozen-odyssey-of-hammer

I have a few preppy pens that I'd like to give out to my ugrad engineering students however would like to give them the ones with the 0.3 F nib instead of the 0.5 M, as they'd appreciate a finer nib for ex while doing complex calculations or taking notes. I'm willing to trade the nibs I have.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• cattar

• Honeybadgers

• Sozen-odyssey-of-hammer

I've got a bunch, but shipping a preppy is more expensive than buying one.

Buy them in bulk and get a bulk package of ink cartridges

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Preppy-Rainbow-Fountain-Colors/dp/B0773HTSS7/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547451584&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=platinum+preppy+F

that's a 7 pack of F nib's for just over 3 bucks a pen. They will have silly colors in them though, so you need a box of cartridges

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Fountain-Pen-Dye-based-Cartridge/dp/B002C26PLW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1547451660&sr=8-5&keywords=platinum+ink+cartridge

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

It sounds like Sozen is asking about nibs, specifically. I do not think nibs for these pens are available and I didnt think the nibs were easily removable/swappable.

There was an older, similar thread at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/183561-replacement-nibs-for-platinum-preppy-or-plaisir/

Even if you do not solve the nib issue, it would be great to pass around the spare Preppies! You might get a few others hooked on FPs, whether or not the nibs are fine enough for your intended purpose.

I do not think nibs for these pens are available and I didnt think the nibs were easily removable/swappable.

The nibs on Platinum Preppy and Plaisir pens are easily swappable, between themselves or across models. The Platinum DPQ-700A desk pen, too.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

With the preppy and the plaisir (and possibly the basic desk pen (not the carbon desk pen)),

the entire section (with nib and feed) unscrews from the pen and can be screwed into a different pen.

I've swapped EF, F, M between pens this way.

Removing and swapping the nibs is unnecessary and creates wear on parts.

Removing and swapping the nibs is unnecessary and creates wear on parts.

All the same, the nibs pull straight out of the finned sections on Plaisir and Preppy pens.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

you do not pull the nib , instead you pull the whole nib / feed assembly from the ink buffer / collector which stay put inside the section. And the feed only a thin rod feed. No need to worry about wear , yo are not doing it over and over again hundreds of times anyway. I have a Plasir as a EDC and keep 0.3 and 0.5 nib/feed around

What's the advantage of taking the parts out rather than swapping the entire section?

Agree that continued swapping creates wear.

What's the advantage of taking the parts out rather than swapping the entire section?

I get to mix and match the fin colours in the sections with barrel colours. Not every Plaisir and/or Preppy pen come with the same fin colours.

Agree that continued swapping creates wear.

Yes, Captain Obvious. No, these are sub-US$10 pens, so I don't really care if it creates wear, especially if I'm not swapping nibs a dozen times over. I do remove the nibs/feeds from the sections when I'm cleaning the pens ahead of changing ink colours anyway.

I get to mix and match the fin colours in the sections with barrel colours. Not every Plaisir and/or Preppy pen come with the same fin colours.

Swapping the entire section achieves the same effect.

...I don't really care if it creates wear...

Clearly.

Swapping the entire section achieves the same effect.

You're assuming that the sections on the Preppy 02 Extra Fine pens come in the same see-through and fin colours as that on the Plaisir pens, I suspect. That is not the case.

I assumed nothing. I asked for clarification.

That's what people do here. We all have different experiences/desires with pens.

It's useful to explain that you can't have an 02 nib on your desired feed colors without an internal swap.

you can pull the nib off the feed easily once the feed is pulled out too.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)