Fountain Pen Recommendations

RudraDev

Hi, I've been involved with foulntain pens for the last six months, and so far I have one Metropolitan, one Vista, a few Jinhao pens and a Parker Frontier. I am looking to expand my collection.

I prefer fine nibs that write moderately wet and give a little bit of feedback, I don't care much for the body of the pen as long as it's comfortable.

What pen would you recommend under $45?

Edited by RudraDev

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

• RudraDev

• sandy101

Top Posters In This Topic

There too many pens that you can buy under 45$ and alot of good ones.
Atleast provide us with more info about what type of material you like, plastic, metal, acrylic? classic looking or modern? what type of nib you prefer EF, Broad, Flex? when it narrowed down like this it's easier to recommend something, otherwise everyone will just start to recommend their favorite one under 45$ and instead of looking for pen that fits you - you will be looking at what others prefer.

Faber castell loom. Thank me later.

Moonman M100 is a great EF nib (schmidt) in a nice acrylic pen

Platinum PTL5000A or pilot seremo have bouncy 14k nibs in that price range.

Personal recommendation is to save another $25 and get a platinum 3776 or pilot custom 74/91 with a soft fine nib.

Also the penbbs 456 and penbbs 355 are large acrylic premium feeling pens that take standard #6 nibs, giving you a huge variety of nib options.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

You have some really nice pens. i do not think you will get any upgrade at this price point. i suggest you save some money and get a pilot custom 74 with a F ,SF or FM nib. this would definitely be an upgrade in writing experience and you will have a fancy 14k gold nib instead of another steel one (no bad feelings about steel nibs though, i just prefer gold ones and expecially pilots' and pelikans'). And pilot custom 74 is really comfortable to hold with very nice balance on the hand, no sharp threads and big step down between the secton and the barell (as platinum century has)!

Edited by fpgreeks

You will not be disappointed with a Pilot Custom 74 with a fine nib. It is an excellent pen. These are available shipped direct from Japan via Amazon platform at reasonable prices. You may never need another pen ( wanting one is another story and why this site is so active ).

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Check out a Platinum PTL-5000a which has a bouncy 14k gold nib and write very fine. It has a lot feedback sort of like writing with a pencil.

If you want a demonstrator or piston filler, check out a TWSBI Eco. It writes pretty smooth and also has fine nibs.

I have reviews of both pens in my signature below and there are many other reviews available on the internet.

Edited by putteringpenman

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

For a daily writing instrument with fine lines and exceptional consistent flow -- that can sit for days filled and capped and not dry out -- I have found the Wing Sun is reliable, smooth nibbed and easily filled. Availabke (shudder the thought) on Amazon at a very cheap price when you buy a pack of 4 or 5).

Check out a Platinum PTL-5000a which has a bouncy 14k gold nib and write very fine.

Umm. I'm not sure about the 'very fine' part, or that it writes any finer or bouncier than, say, the steel nib on the Platinum Balance. (I also don't believe in any quest for the 'best' pen for $X, because in additional to a good pen that ticks the boxes for functional requirements and build quality, usually the individual also wants to feel vindicated in his/her choice already/once made, when other options are put on the table.)

If you want a demonstrator or piston filler, check out a TWSBI Eco. It writes pretty smooth and also has fine nibs.

Or just buy a Wing Sung 3008, which is a piston-filler and a demonstrator. People in the US can probably buy it shipped from China for US$4 (or thereabouts) each. My (over) two dozen of those pens write OK, and they're oh-so-expendable that you wouldn't blink if you broke one or lost one.

For a daily writing instrument with fine lines and exceptional consistent flow -- that can sit for days filled and capped and not dry out -- I have found the Wing Sun is reliable, smooth nibbed and easily filled. Availabke (shudder the thought) on Amazon at a very cheap price when you buy a pack of 4 or 5).

Which model of Wing Sung? Wing Sung is a brand, and has dozens of models in the market. Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Umm. I'm not sure about the 'very fine' part, or that it writes any finer or bouncier than, say, the steel nib on the Platinum Balance. (I also don't believe in any quest for the 'best' pen for $X, because in additional to a good pen that ticks the boxes for functional requirements and build quality, usually the individual also wants to feel vindicated in his/her choice already/once made, when other options are put on the table.)

Or just buy a Wing Sung 3008, which is a piston-filler and a demonstrator. People in the US can probably buy it shipped from China for US$4 (or thereabouts) each. My (over) two dozen of those pens write OK, and they're oh-so-expendable that you wouldn't blink if you broke one or lost one.

Which model of Wing Sung? Wing Sung is a brand, and has dozens of models in the market.

the 5000a comes in an EF, and the balance only comes in an F, right?

I got a seremo in EF a couple years ago. Wound up gifting it away but it made a hell of a first pen for someone as a slip cap, 14k nib japanese pen.

the 3008 is a cheap option for sure, but it's also cheap enough that it's still a bit of a QC gamble. Mine had a bum nib but the body was solid, so I put a lamy z50 nib on it (sad that the nib was 3x more than the pen) and gave it away.

For most beginners, I really highly recommend they stay away from pens less than ten bucks. All it takes is one bad first experience to sour someone on a fountain pen forever.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

the 5000a comes in an EF, and the balance only comes in an F, right?

EF is a nib option for the PTL-5000A, yes.

For most beginners, I really highly recommend they stay away from pens less than ten bucks.

Me too, but not for the reason you gave.

All it takes is one bad first experience to sour someone on a fountain pen forever.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Nice choices, all!

You might also want to look at Retro 52 Tornado or Diplomat Traveler. Less well-known choices, but good nibs, dependable and some are all-metal pens (depends on the model).

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

Lamy Safari!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

It very much depends on what's available where you buy it, a Pilot 74 sounds like a great pen but usually sells for 50% more of your budget, at least in the US. With a little patience you can get a Lamy Studio in steel at that price.Since you have a Vista it will be a known quantity, but my 4 Studios have smoother nibs that my 7 Vistas...

There's also a new Pilot Explorer.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Hi, I've been involved with foulntain pens for the last six months, and so far I have one Metropolitan, one Vista, a few Jinhao pens and a Parker Frontier. I am looking to expand my collection.

I prefer fine nibs that write moderately wet and give a little bit of feedback, I don't care much for the body of the pen as long as it's comfortable.

What pen would you recommend under $45?

There's the rub!

Add lightness and simplicate.

If you are prepared to save to get the Custom 74, or equivalent then I think you are going to see/feel the difference. Sailor & Platinum also give a bit of feedback - the Sapporo and #3776 are lovely pens too.

The Platinum Cool, and maybe one of the cheaper Sailors might work for you too.

You will get more if you are prepared to save and get a classier pen. A pen in the same price range as the ones you already have won't really add much to your collection.

If you want/need a pen now then in my experience the Faber Castell Loom or Basic come with the best steel nibs in your price point if you want a brand new pen. It certainly is a class above the Frontier.

An alternative is a 2nd hand Parker 45 flighter. The fine nib gives some feedback and you may be able to get a 14k gold nib too (not all models come with a 14K nib). The advantage of the Parker is that is has the same filing system as your Frontier. You should be able to get a decent one for less that $40.

That said, if you are able/prepared to wait then the Pilot 74 or something similar would bring more to your collection.