Adding To The Flock

mana

A 2022 M600 Black Tortoise with a F nib. 

So many hobbies, so little time....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A word of caution on M1000 nibs, they were really not designed for flex and are easier to splay due to higher gold purity (18k vs 14k). Just recently saw a post in one of FB fountain pen groups about ”a too wet M1000 nib” (F that was more like a B and very wet writer) and expert advice there from nibmeister Linda Fyffe Kennedy was this:

”…The M1000 nib is softer than other Pelikan nibs. This nib has, at times, been touted as flexible. Unfortunately it isn’t really a flex nib, and even the amount of pressure needed to attempt to flex it can cause this type of damage. Even if you weren’t using any pressure, it’s possible that someone tested the nib and did do so. …”

8 hours ago, mana said:

A word of caution on M1000 nibs, they were really not designed for flex and are easier to splay due to higher gold purity (18k vs 14k). Just recently saw a post in one of FB fountain pen groups about ”a too wet M1000 nib” (F that was more like a B and very wet writer) and expert advice there from nibmeister Linda Fyffe Kennedy was this:

”…The M1000 nib is softer than other Pelikan nibs. This nib has, at times, been touted as flexible. Unfortunately it isn’t really a flex nib, and even the amount of pressure needed to attempt to flex it can cause this type of damage. Even if you weren’t using any pressure, it’s possible that someone tested the nib and did do so. …”

curious.. I have a MB 149 18C that is more nail like than this nib. That nib does not want to flex at all.

4 hours ago, alfredop said:

Last Pelikans:

1) thi strange and unrecognized set

DB03F524-91E8-4F19-A038-9B0237139050.thumb.jpeg.73613b701c81e4011a8986840bfde975.jpeg

My first reaction to that pair was, "Hey, those are... umm... no, wait..., oh, now I know... ah, no... oh, they must be... umm... no, they aren´t..."

First of all, they are beautiful. And they look oddly familiar, but on second glance, I just can´t put my finger on it. The pen is like... I don´t know... an M750 with a black body, but silver piston knob? An inverted #660 but silver instead of gold? An M420 but with a different overlay?

Would you care to tell us about the size and show us the nib? Are there any markings (except "Pelikan") on the pen?

It´s probably the lighting, but in the picture the pen seems to have a silver clip while the ballpoint seems to have a golden one. They probably have the same, but I am thoroughly unable to tell which one.

There exist M750 prototypes that look similar, cap and turning knob in silver in the actual M750 pattern and clip gold plated.

10 hours ago, alfredop said:

Last Pelikans:

1) thi strange and unrecognized set

DB03F524-91E8-4F19-A038-9B0237139050.thumb.jpeg.73613b701c81e4011a8986840bfde975.jpeg

2) this model 500

685ACEE0-29C7-4AD6-9BDE-38A20C834CDA.thumb.jpeg.286b38296d774e21a4adf6decc7260ca.jpeg

Alfredo

Wow! Those are amazing. And quite rare it seems!

Congrats!

On 10/16/2022 at 10:20 PM, Nyoko said:

Just added the M200 Amber and Cognac. They are the two middle pens in the photo, between the Yellow and Smoky Quartz.

I particularly like the Amber shade.

pelikan-m200-brown.JPG

just noticed that all 4 of your M200 have the clip position all different from one another.

Yellow - pointing at before the word Pelikan

Amber - pointing somewhere between "R" and "M" of Germany wording

Cognac - pointing at roughly "I" of Pelikan wording

Smoky - pointing at after the word Pelikan

are they supposed to be all random or was there a "proper" position?  

I only have 1 M200 (Brown Marbled), the its pointing at "R" of Germany wording, similar to your Amber's.

Not that it matters that much.  Just curious.

3 hours ago, AceNinja said:

just noticed that all 4 of your M200 have the clip position all different from one another.

Yellow - pointing at before the word Pelikan

Amber - pointing somewhere between "R" and "M" of Germany wording

Cognac - pointing at roughly "I" of Pelikan wording

Smoky - pointing at after the word Pelikan

are they supposed to be all random or was there a "proper" position?  

I only have 1 M200 (Brown Marbled), the its pointing at "R" of Germany wording, similar to your Amber's.

Not that it matters that much.  Just curious.

The clip position is not keyed so if you loosen the clip nut/crown (the round thing at the top of the cap around the finial) the clip can be rotated to the desired position.

For pens with a finial/cap top that is fixed, such as the vintage 100N, I tend to place it so that the top of the clip is in line with the bottom edge of the nest in the logo.

For others, more or less the same but the ones where the cap top was a separate part from the shell of the cap (400 & 400N, IIRC) one can play a bit more, for example, align the inscriptions in the trim ring, the clip and the cap top so that they are all aligned.

Or if you do not care for that, and with modern pens where the cap shell and finial/cap top is one piece, one neat thing with demonstrators is to align the clip with the nib, either so that the clip is on top of the nib when the cap is closed, or on the exact opposite side (giving full visibility to the nib).

@alfredop when you forget a Pelikan 500, it speaks volumes about the other pen you got 😉.

The 500 is a wonderful pen! Congrats.

Here are my latest additions, which arrived in the last three days. 

A Pelikan 400NN M&K Black striped, which completes my M&K mini collection:

IMG_7362.thumb.jpg.78e86df3cd965a6a6e0c411b2e173b0d.jpg

A black M800 "set":IMG_7364.thumb.jpg.73de5f40fd1d0e40672692ef52fd5d1d.jpg

Set between quote marks because the pencil is an earlier version, with the medallion in the cap top. I did not know that Pelikan made 0.5 mm pencils, like this one. I bought this set for the pencil, which I have been looking for a little while. But I got a nice surprise with the nib which I knew it was an OB, but I didn't know it was a 14K OB!! (the seller didn't send any pictures of the nib, nor mentioned it was a 14k). Together with the black set I got a M800 green/black, old style (my favorite) for its BB 14K nib.IMG_7363.thumb.jpg.1c42cc9831b5b67a7605da416f32935b.jpg

Here are the nibs:

IMG_7365.thumb.jpg.f15c6a53620ec88349291ca58802785e.jpg

Interestingly, the OB is not oblique at all, but the BB is slightly oblique. It matters not, they are absolutely amazing nibs, and this purchase may prove to be a big mistake, starting a quest for more of these elusive nibs. To get nibs these good, I have to go back to my vintage Waterman's, Conklins and Moores.

12 hours ago, Lam1 said:

A Pelikan 400NN M&K Black striped, which completes my M&K mini collection

Congrats on completing your M&K mini flock, @Lam1. They are both, beautiful pens and excellent writers, IMHO.

I’m still missing the black one. Someone tried to sell me one last year, but its condition wasn’t good enough.

13 hours ago, stoen said:

Congrats on completing your M&K mini flock, @Lam1. They are both, beautiful pens and excellent writers, IMHO.

I’m still missing the black one. Someone tried to sell me one last year, but its condition wasn’t good enough.

Thank you, @stoen.

The M&K are, indeed excellent writers and very beautiful. Particularly the Brown Tortoise, which is very different and even more beautiful than the "regular" tortoise (IMO).

I hope you get the black one soon to complete your set!

21 hours ago, mana said:

Very nice birds you've got there, @Lam1, I especially like the broader nibs! How's the line variation on those? :)

Thank you, @mana.

The line variation is great! Here is a quick pic: 

IMG_7368.thumb.jpg.1357fe90acce56773b67e7c27f4e9b39.jpg

I am sure they can offer significantly more line variation safely. But I am very conservative with my nibs. 

I also don't really use line variation in my regular writing, but I like the feel of nibs that are capable of offering it.

On 2/6/2023 at 10:31 PM, Lam1 said:

@alfredop when you forget a Pelikan 500, it speaks volumes about the other pen you got 😉.

The 500 is a wonderful pen! Congrats.

Here are my latest additions, which arrived in the last three days. 

A Pelikan 400NN M&K Black striped, which completes my M&K mini collection:

IMG_7362.thumb.jpg.78e86df3cd965a6a6e0c411b2e173b0d.jpg

A black M800 "set":IMG_7364.thumb.jpg.73de5f40fd1d0e40672692ef52fd5d1d.jpg

Set between quote marks because the pencil is an earlier version, with the medallion in the cap top. I did not know that Pelikan made 0.5 mm pencils, like this one. I bought this set for the pencil, which I have been looking for a little while. But I got a nice surprise with the nib which I knew it was an OB, but I didn't know it was a 14K OB!! (the seller didn't send any pictures of the nib, nor mentioned it was a 14k). Together with the black set I got a M800 green/black, old style (my favorite) for its BB 14K nib.IMG_7363.thumb.jpg.1c42cc9831b5b67a7605da416f32935b.jpg

Here are the nibs:

IMG_7365.thumb.jpg.f15c6a53620ec88349291ca58802785e.jpg

Interestingly, the OB is not oblique at all, but the BB is slightly oblique. It matters not, they are absolutely amazing nibs, and this purchase may prove to be a big mistake, starting a quest for more of these elusive nibs. To get nibs these good, I have to go back to my vintage Waterman's, Conklins and Moores.

Is it possible the OB nib was adjusted to remove the oblique angle prior to your purchase, perhaps for the original owner if these are preowned?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”