Adding To The Flock

mana

I got a stinker of a m200 blue marbled. I will upload images when I clear space on my phone.

Anyways, the marbling pattern is nonexistent on one side of the pen. I have an old style m200 blue marble and the marbling is throughout the pen.

Not sure if this is common with the current m200 Blue Marble. I will keep the pen due to the nib (a very good medium nib by Pelikan standards). I am a bit tempted to replace the nib with one of the other m200 mediums I have lying around, but I do not really partake in these kind of practices. It serves its purpose as a workhorse pen.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

I got a stinker of a m200 blue marbled. I will upload images when I clear space on my phone.

Anyways, the marbling pattern is nonexistent on one side of the pen. I have an old style m200 blue marble and the marbling is throughout the pen.

Not sure if this is common with the current m200 Blue Marble. I will keep the pen due to the nib (a very good medium nib by Pelikan standards). I am a bit tempted to replace the nib with one of the other m200 mediums I have lying around, but I do not really partake in these kind of practices. It serves its purpose as a workhorse pen.

I was worried about a similar problem when I looked at various photos of the M200 Gold Marbled. Some look like they have sides that are almost transparent, while other sides are almost opaque. Mine turned out wonderfully, with a lovely translucence all the way around, an a fairly uniform marbled-gold shimmer.

Is it practical to return the pen?

I have a blue marbled coming (I will see it first in a few months) that I plan to give as a gift. Based on your experience, I will make sure to inspect it before forwarding on to the recipient.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:23 AM, N1003U said:

I was worried about a similar problem when I looked at various photos of the M200 Gold Marbled. Some look like they have sides that are almost transparent, while other sides are almost opaque. Mine turned out wonderfully, with a lovely translucence all the way around, an a fairly uniform marbled-gold shimmer.

Is it practical to return the pen?

I have a blue marbled coming (I will see it first in a few months) that I plan to give as a gift. Based on your experience, I will make sure to inspect it before forwarding on to the recipient.

I will post pictures tomorrow when I am home. 

It looks better in a well lit room (under my lamp). But under normal lighting conditions, one side looks black. Moreover, on the side that looks black, the is a small streak or two within the binde/on the binde?, that looks like chewed plastic (what you would see on a chewed BIC pen cap), or a crack. But there is no cracking issue. I am assuming the marbling process briefly started, but stopped abruptly.

I got it from CultPens with the 10% off coupon. I can return it, but having to pay postage to Europe (not sure how much this is going to be), maybe the risk of being lost in transit, or Cult Pens for what ever reason deciding that an aesthetic issue such as a marbling pattern is not enough grounds for a return is not ideal in my eyes.  Plus, I am preparing myself for the m600 Vibrant Orange I purchased. I have seen some terrible patterns on the Vibrant Orange, but I wanted an Orange Pelikan, and the average price for the Burnt Orange is a bit too much. If I am going to pay the average price for the Burnt Orange, I might as well purchase instead the m101n Lizard to finish my m101n collection.

I have already used three fillings of ink in this pen, so I will regulate to workhorse status.

Hope your m200 blue has no issues.

2 hours ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

I will post pictures tomorrow when I am home. 

It looks better in a well lit room (under my lamp). But under normal lighting conditions, one side looks black. Moreover, on the side that looks black, the is a small streak or two within the binde/on the binde?, that looks like chewed plastic (what you would see on a chewed BIC pen cap), or a crack. But there is no cracking issue. I am assuming the marbling process briefly started, but stopped abruptly.

I got it from CultPens with the 10% off coupon. I can return it, but having to pay postage to Europe (not sure how much this is going to be), maybe the risk of being lost in transit, or Cult Pens for what ever reason deciding that an aesthetic issue such as a marbling pattern is not enough grounds for a return is not ideal in my eyes.  Plus, I am preparing myself for the m600 Vibrant Orange I purchased. I have seen some terrible patterns on the Vibrant Orange, but I wanted an Orange Pelikan, and the average price for the Burnt Orange is a bit too much. If I am going to pay the average price for the Burnt Orange, I might as well purchase instead the m101n Lizard to finish my m101n collection.

I have already used three fillings of ink in this pen, so I will regulate to workhorse status.

Hope your m200 blue has no issues.

Thanks.

We’ll see how the blue one looks when it arrives.

Sorry you got an ugly one. At least with the gold version, the areas without much marbling are basically transparent, so the uneven look is not quite as obvious.

Doing a swirly/flaky mixture pattern with an injection molding machine is not always an easy thing to control. I once made some very attractive marbled parts by accident by running a batch of parts with a new color before the old color had been fully purged from the extrusion screw.

I suspect Pelikan uses a special mix of materials in the molding machine, and sometimes the variations in the mix can be a little (or apparently a lot) uneven.

After not having used it in like forever, I inked my new M405 with Kana-cho Midnight. I'm thrilled the EF nib writes like an EF (well, Pelikan-wise, so EF bordering on F). The thinness of the line laying down less ink actually brings out the blue more and rendering it somewhat lighter than 1864. Yonaga, which I tried first, looked too similar to 1864 and Stipula Dark Blue, whereas the Kana looks just different enough.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Send back the ugly one, claiming it got through QC somehow, ask for a new one.

I was lucky then, mine looks 'spiffy'.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my vibrant orange. The cap ruins the pen. It looks better with a black cap. Hoping to find a reasonably priced black cap for it.5ACB6FE2-2041-4930-88F0-7AAE33E6E5C9.thumb.jpeg.f6cbb8dead0fd1782f673d5bdd9663d1.jpeg18930EAC-5E82-465A-98D2-2BACB0E1443A.thumb.jpeg.1cd9ad9afd5bf10b842310e0b57807e3.jpeg

7 minutes ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

Finally got my vibrant orange. The cap ruins the pen. It looks better with a black cap. Hoping to find a reasonably priced black cap for it.5ACB6FE2-2041-4930-88F0-7AAE33E6E5C9.thumb.jpeg.f6cbb8dead0fd1782f673d5bdd9663d1.jpeg18930EAC-5E82-465A-98D2-2BACB0E1443A.thumb.jpeg.1cd9ad9afd5bf10b842310e0b57807e3.jpeg

The black cap does give it an interesting look.

Is that your Blue Marbled M205 that you are disappointed with? That side looks OK.

18 minutes ago, N1003U said:

The black cap does give it an interesting look.

Is that your Blue Marbled M205 that you are disappointed with? That side looks OK.

No, I gave that m205 to my niece and ordered another one from Cult Pens for myself. The new one is much better than the original one I received. Yes, I like the black cap more on the Vibrant Orange.

Have you got a chance to look at your m205 yet?

17 minutes ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

No, I gave that m205 to my niece and ordered another one from Cult Pens for myself. The new one is much better than the original one I received. Yes, I like the black cap more on the Vibrant Orange.

Have you got a chance to look at your m205 yet?

No not yet. I send pics via PM when I can.

How does that M600 Red look with a Vibrant Orange cap on it? 😛

6 hours ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

Why not go for a completely black pen and swap caps?

There are so very, very, very many black German pens****...I tried half a decade ago to never buy another black one......10-15 black pens later; they still keep popping up....Got another two black pens, but one is French in the last live auction lot.

One has to pay a premium, for non black vintage pens, outside of Pelikan.

I have two 146's and both are Black!!!!! As is the 'new' 149......so much for being strong enough not to buy black pens.

****It's not quite true, in there were colored pens, very hard to find, how ever sometimes I thought if one had a better pen, or a colorful pen...outside Pelikan, one got fired because one was out of step with the boss................just a snide thought on conformity.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It seems like ages since I last got a bird.

But I have three "flying" to me so to speak, since two of them I ordered in November and still haven't taken off (M600 Red Tortoise B, M900 Toledo B). At least there is one actually flying, a mint M101N Lizard B.

20210126_181121.thumb.jpg.9e4888d7321e6d48dbc738e9721db6c9.jpg

Finally had time to ink this up after I got it about a week ago: an M805 demonstrator with a B nib from nibs.com tuned to be a very wet writer. 

Now I am waiting for someone to get the BB and IB nibs in stock.

On 1/26/2021 at 11:06 AM, Hans01 said:

Here some pictures of the M600 tortoise red with the M600 vibrant orange cap. I think the original cap is the best way to go😀

20210126_105446 (002).jpg

20210126_105508 (002).jpg

20210126_105531 (002).jpg

Um...yes...the original design is more attractive, though to Carola’s point there is a bit of a fruity tropical drink look there.

Here we go, first official pen of 2021 and it is a Pelikan M600 Red Tortoise. Packaging was a little bit dismissed but the pen is fantastic 

image.thumb.jpeg.346391132fd0c127a0bcb83485194aaa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a31ae3551dee598239b2ef925504a4e5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3159dd46f907c8b07ca37f45440afb5a.jpeg

Here with other red themed Pelikan.

image.thumb.jpeg.607bc0c9a6cbde3d09d27ba75ba11038.jpeg

Alfredo

Ah:puddle: Yes!

My wife has to double our speculative investments.....instead of playing the minimum in the lotter.

I do have some semi-flex nibs that would fit it just fine............

I do like the girth & balance of a posted 605, which I have. My other 600 is a small 400 sized W.German one....A fancy 400.

• 3 weeks later...

It is not a new pen but a Nib that I dated an OBB for a long time, now any of my Pelikan can win a new soul ...

I just couldn't decide which one!

WP_20210211_18_05_12_Rich (2).jpg

WP_20210211_18_05_44_Rich.jpg

WP_20210211_18_05_52_Rich (2).jpg

WP_20210211_18_06_07_Rich (2).jpg