Adding To The Flock

mana

19 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Flock didn't grow, but did change.  Traded a duplicate brown vintage 400 for a Green vintage 400. First green in my collection. PXL_20220323_141239156.thumb.jpg.495ea7c4443a14a33a9f8effbe864984.jpg

beautiful color.

On 3/27/2022 at 9:32 PM, inkstainedruth said:

That artwork is part of the set?  Cool.  And for that price?  Abso-frigging-lutely cool.  That may very well make you sumgai of the week, alfredop!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Yes Ruth the artwork is part of the set.

Alfredo

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Flock didn't grow, but did change.  Traded a duplicate brown vintage 400 for a Green vintage 400. First green in my collection. PXL_20220323_141239156.thumb.jpg.495ea7c4443a14a33a9f8effbe864984.jpg

beautiful color.

That artwork is part of the set?  Cool.  And for that price?  Abso-frigging-lutely cool.  That may very well make you sumgai of the week, alfredop!

Yes Ruth the artwork is part of the set.

Alfredo

Yes Ruth, the artwork is part of the set (it is just a drawing on paper).

Alfredo

This bird arrived today. I’m so happy to have it. It’s a Pelikan Classic M200 Cognac with a B nib. It’s so pretty. 

42D05401-5077-439A-985E-61705DF3CEEA.jpeg

Posted Image

23 minutes ago, Misfit said:

This bird arrived today. I’m so happy to have it. It’s a Pelikan Classic M200 Cognac with a B nib. It’s so pretty. 

You'll love the B nib. I broke down and bought a B for my Cognac. (F from factory)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

23 minutes ago, Runnin_Ute said:

You'll love the B nib. I broke down and bought a B for my Cognac. (F from factory)

I have a B nib on the Moonstone pen, and do love it vs the F and M. I’m not blaming you, but my first introduction to the Cognac was in one of your letters. I was going to get the Cognac a year or two ago. I read a topic on the Pelikan’s Perch about the two amber models, the Cognac and Smokey Quartz. That made me think I wanted the Smokey Quartz. Cognac stayed with me though. 

Anyway, I’ve rinsed the Cognac, and am waiting for it to dry. Then it will be filled with Faber-Castell Cognac. 

Pelikans are demanding. The brown group want their own pen case.  I looked at Rickshaw Bags, and prices have gone up. So if I decide the brown ones need a pen case, it will wait for the holidays when hopefully Rickshaw will have a cool sale like last year. 

Posted Image

12 hours ago, Misfit said:

Lovely pen. Someone at the Baltimore pen show had one for sale at a decent price, but fortunately or unfortunately I had already blown my budget and needed to pass. I go back and forth as to whether I want a cognac or a smoky quartz. Those translucent browns are attractive.

I am also making a conscious effort to limit the growth of the Pelikan population in my house, so that also helped my decision.

How do you like writing with it?

On 3/30/2022 at 9:30 AM, N1003U said:

Lovely pen. Someone at the Baltimore pen show had one for sale at a decent price, but fortunately or unfortunately I had already blown my budget and needed to pass. I go back and forth as to whether I want a cognac or a smoky quartz. Those translucent browns are attractive.

I am also making a conscious effort to limit the growth of the Pelikan population in my house, so that also helped my decision.

How do you like writing with it?

I’m like you. I went back and forth. Then read about them at The Pelikan’s Perch. The post was named Varying Shades of Brown. It featured the two earlier Amber versions, the Cognac and the Smoky Quartz. That made me opt for the Smoky Quartz, which I found on eBay in a set with the matching ink for just over $100. That became a birthday gift from my parents. Also meant I have 2 bottles of Smoky Quartz ink. 

I could have got a Cognac on Reddit with 2 nibs including an italic for £115, which at the time was around $150. Looking back I wish I’d gotten that Cognac. Italic and stub nibs are my favorite nibs. 

The Cognac didn’t leave my mind.  I contacted the person on Reddit, and his Cognac had sold. That sent me looking, and found new ones on eBay, shipping from Japan. There was one with a B nib for $155, so, you know how we fountain pen addicts are, I bought it. 

I have found all my Pelikan Classic pens write well, but especially (for me) the B nibs. The italic I bought is more of a stub nib. Nice and smooth is what I’ve found. Nothing sticks out as not good. I wrote them dry over time. I can get annoyed with my writing with F and M, unless I slow down. But that’s me, not the nibs. 

Here is a photo of both. The Smoky Quartz has no ink, while the Cognac does. 

DB3971FD-5015-4C82-A741-B037D2D955CF.jpeg

Posted Image

19 hours ago, Misfit said:

I’m like you. I went back and forth. Then read about them at The Pelikan’s Perch. The post was named Varying Shades of Brown. It featured the two earlier Amber versions, the Cognac and the Smoky Quartz. That made me opt for the Smoky Quartz, which I found on eBay in a set with the matching ink for just over $100. That became a birthday gift from my parents. Also meant I have 2 bottles of Smoky Quartz ink. 

I could have got a Cognac on Reddit with 2 nibs including an italic for £115, which at the time was around $150. Looking back I wish I’d gotten that Cognac. Italic and stub nibs are my favorite nibs. 

The Cognac didn’t leave my mind.  I contacted the person on Reddit, and his Cognac had sold. That sent me looking, and found new ones on eBay, shipping from Japan. There was one with a B nib for $155, so, you know how we fountain pen addicts are, I bought it. 

I have found all my Pelikan Classic pens write well, but especially (for me) the B nibs. The italic I bought is more of a stub nib. Nice and smooth is what I’ve found. Nothing sticks out as not good. I wrote them dry over time. I can get annoyed with my writing with F and M, unless I slow down. But that’s me, not the nibs. 

Here is a photo of both. The Smoky Quartz has no ink, while the Cognac does. 

DB3971FD-5015-4C82-A741-B037D2D955CF.jpeg

Lovely photo. Both pens look great. I just bought an extra bottle of Smoky Quartz ink at some show—it is beautiful and getting more and more difficult to find.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:25 PM, carola said:

The binde says, it is from the 1950s. *squinting* Or the picture is deceptive. But I would say 1950s.

Could be, but I fail to see a “Günther Wagner Pelikan 400” imprint around the top part of the binde, which is most common  for original 1950s models.

As for the nib, I see the fir-tree patterns don’t meet at the slit, which is a clear characteristic of post-1964 400NN nibs. They’re completely compatible, nevertheless. I know many #400 owners who exchanged their original nibs for later ones, with writing characterictics which better suited their writing styles.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:09 PM, Misfit said:

~ @Misfit: Thank you for posting the image above.

A Classic M200 Cognac with a B nib is highly appealing.

I've thought about someday acquiring one.

It's great that you did.

Happy writing!

Tom K.

You are welcome @Tom Kellie   I really do like the Cognac. 

I know you have a Cafe Creme, as do I. Once I got it, my brown Pelikan group has grown to 4. 

Posted Image

On 3/27/2022 at 1:46 PM, alfredop said:

An they continue to grow, found this today:

1AE3615A-065D-4928-92BC-29027CB96DE7.thumb.jpeg.cc3f1d40689f610d9e7d253f63a91043.jpeg

for only 20E. I had to buy it.

Alfredo

You found a pre-1997 M400 for only 20€??? :yikes:

I hate you! 😁

And I also reverence you for the ‘Sumgai’ status that you have - undoubtedly - just acquired 😉

What nib does your new stripy-green M400 have?

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

• 1 month later...

1048765387_1955Pelikan400OF.thumb.JPG.4a44386c1e67710e54c3cf3bcdccced4.JPG

1955 Pelikan 400 OF

1572227793_OFinGreen.thumb.JPG.307c1510042a59fb1271271ac7d420e4.JPG

OF in Green

1751785749_OFNib.thumb.JPG.10091c4aac75ffb07bcbe8310357364d.JPG

OF Nib

868661822_PelikanOFNote.thumb.JPG.10be6a8a9737ffe8c5bf436a82e05c23.JPG

While not my favorite Pelikan color, that's the color I associate with Pelikan pens for some reason (especially older pens).  The fact that the nib width is marked on the piston knob is interesting (I only have one vintage-ish bird, also from the 1950s, and now need to pull it out to see if the OB width nib on it is marked on the barrel or piston knob....

Very cool acquisition, Tom Kellie!

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 5/6/2022 at 12:10 AM, inkstainedruth said:

While not my favorite Pelikan color, that's the color I associate with Pelikan pens for some reason (especially older pens).  The fact that the nib width is marked on the piston knob is interesting (I only have one vintage-ish bird, also from the 1950s, and now need to pull it out to see if the OB width nib on it is marked on the barrel or piston knob....

Very cool acquisition, Tom Kellie!

I wonder if there's some historical significance for that teal-leaning green color of the classic Pelikan stripes.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 1 month later...

here there is my new M605 Black Tortoise-shell, surprisingly its F nib is not the usual blobby nib but a correct F nib (maybe a bit too large, but definitely better than my last F nib on the red tortoise).

Alfredo430606608_WhatsAppImage2022-06-11at17_57_43.thumb.jpeg.cf3e682ba2453cd7b461d0dbab083289.jpeg

Those M605 sure are pretty... 😍 Another bird is joining my flock, after a long while. As in, it has been ages since I last bought vintage Pelikans (last major purchase took place... over two years ago?). Waiting to receive the following lot that I bought last week:

• Pelikan 100N with a fluted trim ring and clip
  • Pelikan No.4 pen stand
  • Two Pelikan ink bottles
  • Three unused Pelikan erasers

I am chuffed about this because all items are pretty much mint (came from another collector), price was more than fair (basically got that set for the going price for the pen), and also, that pen stand is my third, and also, a third variant. I already had a similar one but with a metal insert in the base plate, then another which must have been made during the war (rather more crude finish and thinner material), and now that one which is kind of like an ideal version of it, material thickness and finish is great, imprints and detailing are immaculate and crisp, zero flaws, etc.

Pictures are from the auction, used with permission.

Oh, also, could someone update the title of this thread to "Adding To The Flock - 2019 + 2020 + 2021 + 2022"? :D

ebay_Pelikan_100N_Pen_Stand_No4 - 01.jpg

ebay_Pelikan_100N_Pen_Stand_No4 - 02.jpg

ebay_Pelikan_100N_Pen_Stand_No4 - 03.jpg