Adding To The Flock

mana

1 hour ago, brokenclay said:

Fine italic, according to the writing sample.

*Facepalm* 

How did I miss that, LOL. I was looking so closely at the way the letters were formed that I didn't actually read the words they make, LOL.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/6/2021 at 10:36 PM, readytotalk said:

20210518_134946-1f.thumb.jpg.6e2c77fa0a953033d4b0eb76c1c7757a.jpg

An interesting looking Pelikan.  Nice understated design.  I'd buy one for work!  Looks like a C/C filled pen.

Hello, again!

Seems I was lucky this time.

I’ve been on a hunt after this one for quite a while:

a brown tortoise 400NN Merz&Krell w. EF nib, moderately flex, mint, never inked.

I did some writing tests: it’s an effortless writer requiring a soft touch and a light hand.

B8F4ED83-5612-44CC-AE49-E7978DDF008E.jpeg.8f3d502979e4089b81be903c8e858a30.jpeg

A photograph can hardly capture a glimpse of its beauty. 

I’m considering the ink now. R&K Alt Glodgrün will probably be my first choice.

I also have a green striped 400NN M&K. I find them very decently engineered and robustly built, yet elegant for writing. 

6 hours ago, stoen said:

Hello, again!

Seems I was lucky this time.

I’ve been on a hunt after this one for quite a while:

a brown tortoise 400NN Merz&Krell w. EF nib, moderately flex, mint, never inked.

I did some writing tests: it’s an effortless writer requiring a soft touch and a light hand.

B8F4ED83-5612-44CC-AE49-E7978DDF008E.jpeg.8f3d502979e4089b81be903c8e858a30.jpeg

A photograph can hardly capture a glimpse of its beauty. 

I’m considering the ink now. R&K Alt Glodgrün will probably be my first choice.

I also have a green striped 400NN M&K. I find them very decently engineered and robustly built, yet elegant for writing. 

Beautiful pen.

I was lucky enough to find a M101N Tortoise Brown in a store, so here there is my last acquired Pelikan:

73720E4B-30E2-4E87-890D-941AAEDA7E38.thumb.jpeg.8cadc33934dd9d04d4fabf66a7c08c2b.jpeg

now the series is completed.

6B0AE497-D9A3-4FE8-8833-9374652DC605.thumb.jpeg.6cc337f55329436ffe25c931e61ff17c.jpeg

Alfredo

11 minutes ago, alfredop said:

I was lucky enough to find a M101N Tortoise Brown in a store, so here there is my last acquired Pelikan:

73720E4B-30E2-4E87-890D-941AAEDA7E38.thumb.jpeg.8cadc33934dd9d04d4fabf66a7c08c2b.jpeg

6B0AE497-D9A3-4FE8-8833-9374652DC605.thumb.jpeg.6cc337f55329436ffe25c931e61ff17c.jpeg

Alfredo

Really nice pens, and a great collection!

I only have one (the red one), but every time I use it, I understand why this classic Pelikan model (100/101) became and has remained so popular. If Pelikan ever puts out a modern M101N in old-fashioned basic black, I'll be all over it.

18 minutes ago, alfredop said:

Alfredo

Nice!

I would take the Lizard and the all-red one, please. 😁

Just now, carola said:

Nice!

I would take the Lizard and the all-red one, please. 😁

I didn't like the red one when I first bought it, but it is definitely growing on me. The Lizard looks nice, too.

I am eyeing a blue/gray at a good price, but I have not acted.

51 minutes ago, N1003U said:

I didn't like the red one when I first bought it, but it is definitely growing on me. The Lizard looks nice, too.

The red one is still very easy to find, if you want it take it because the price of these pens increase in a very fast way when they are no more available in regular store.

56 minutes ago, N1003U said:

Really nice pens, and a great collection!

I only have one (the red one), but every time I use it, I understand why this classic Pelikan model (100/101) became and has remained so popular. If Pelikan ever puts out a modern M101N in old-fashioned basic black, I'll be all over it.

Yes, I agree with you a black M101N would be beautiful.

Alfredo

21 hours ago, N1003U said:

Of course the Lizard would complement my vintage Lizard nicely. I really like the all-grey and silver style. On the other hand, I have spent a little fortune on pens this year, so buying a new Lizard in addition to the old one might just be a little over the top... *sigh

20 hours ago, alfredop said:

The red one is still very easy to find, if you want it take it because the price of these pens increase in a very fast way when they are no more available in regular store.

I even know a brick and mortar store near my home where they have an all-red M101N. And I am tempted. On the other hand, they have an M805 Blue Dunes, too, and I have been eyeing it closely.

And there still is the fact that I have spent a little fortune... well, see above.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:34 PM, alfredop said:

Yes, I agree with you a black M101N would be beautiful.

Yes, it would perfectly fit the flock.

🙂

Regarding the M101N historic re-issue, yesterday, in a flea market I accidentally ran into the original, an actual piece of history:

The pre-war black 101N, with a much sought-after ST nib! I got it for 65€.

Just a bit of washing, taking apart, inside cleaning, re-corking, re-assembling, polishing and it’s back to life!

83 years old.

Inked with Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.

EF5ABC56-F829-413A-957B-D6F51B09C7FB.jpeg.2bbedd569d82579c0446f74e99789283.jpeg

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is one of the main reasons why I am into vintage Pelikan pens.

Tough, hard to kill little pens with easy to regain beauty and reliability. Plus a whole lot of versatility.

At an age where human beings lie down to die they have the capability of looking and behaving like they came from the factory only yesterday. 😍

50 minutes ago, stoen said:

Yes, it would perfectly fit the flock.

🙂

Regarding the M101N historic re-issue, yesterday, in a flea market I accidentally ran into the original, an actual piece of history:

The pre-war black 101N, with a much sought-after ST nib! I got it for 65€.

Just a bit of washing, taking apart, inside cleaning, re-corking, re-assembling, polishing and it’s back to life!

83 years old.

Inked with Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.

EF5ABC56-F829-413A-957B-D6F51B09C7FB.jpeg.2bbedd569d82579c0446f74e99789283.jpeg

I really need to start going to flea markets again. Then again, I stopped going to them cause all people here seem to sell at them are broken toys and ratty shoes. 

Stoen, you lucky so-and-so, that's an incredible find. Congrats!

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

On 9/12/2021 at 11:49 AM, carola said:

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is one of the main reasons why I am into vintage Pelikan pens.

Tough, hard to kill little pens with easy to regain beauty and reliability. Plus a whole lot of versatility.

At an age where human beings lie down to die they have the capability of looking and behaving like they came from the factory only yesterday. 😍

Very nicely put together into words, @carola, thanks! Many of us could share your feelings, I guess!

😍

Plus, you can get such pens at a fraction of a price for a new pen, if you have some knowledge and patience in searching, cleaning and maintenence...

Plus, some nib types simply aren’t being manufactured any more...

🙂

Thanks for the congrats, @Bikerchick .

My M120 Iconic Blue arrived today. I'm quite pleased, primarily as the blue is much darker than it looked in the publicity photos. While I can imagine some might be disappointed because of that, I'm relieved as the lighter color is the main reason I'd been on the fence. Can't wait to ink it up and try it out but it may take a few days to decided on an ink. Co-inkydinkly, I have my 140 with me tonight so I was able to compare them.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

30 minutes ago, chromantic said:

Co-inkydinkly

Nice one, Chromantic. 😄

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion