Adding To The Flock

mana

You really need that in semi-flex.....such a world of difference between almost having int in a '82-97 nib, yours being a 200's will only be regular flex....still hunting for blood stains in the scrub, instead of having natural line variation.

In wide PelikanI have a W.Germany 200 OM, W.Germany 800 OM and 381's OB and two OBB's in regular flex, the latter two are a small W.Germany 600 and a 1005..........

I have some OBB's from my Osmia's that are semi-flex....got to add one of them to my ink again, list..........a problem with having many pens, which to re-ink.

Semi-flex is well worth getting, it does real line variation with out hunting for it.

Got a gold one on my 500 I eyeball to OBBB, in the 500 was before nib marking and there is no place on the rolled gold piston cap overlay.  That one is a maxi-semi-flex with a 30 degree grind....a real signature nib....Take 2/3rds to 3/4ths a page for a 15 letter legal name.

It's a bit too much of a good thing.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Você realmente precisa disso no semiflex. .... tamanha diferença entre quase ter int em um bico de 82 -97, o seu sendo de 200 será apenas flex regular .... ainda caçando manchas de sangue no matagal, em vez de ter variação de linha natural.

Na ampla Pelikan, tenho um W.Germany 200 OM, W.Germany 800 OM e 381's OB e dois OBBs em flex regular, os dois últimos são um pequeno W.Germany 600 e um 1005 ..........

Eu tenho alguns OBBs do meu Osmia que são semiflexíveis .... tenho que adicionar um deles à minha tinta novamente, lista .......... um problema de ter muitas canetas, que re-tinta .

Vale a pena comprar o semi-flex, ele faz variação de linha real sem procurar por ele.

Consegui um ouro no meu 500 I globo ocular para OBBB, no 500 foi antes da marcação da ponta e não há lugar na sobreposição da tampa do pistão de ouro enrolado. Aquele é um maxi-semiflex com uma moagem de 30 graus .... uma ponta de assinatura real .... Pegue 2/3 a 3/4 por página para um nome legal de 15 letras.

É uma coisa boa demais.

Bo Bo Olson, your suggestion is noted and I'm already tracking.

I'll get an OBB for my 800.

Thanks for the information.

No, for your 400/600....the '50-65 semi-flex nibs will fit the 400/600, not the 800 ***and you'd have to get very lucky to get a Bock nibbed 1000 that was semi-flex.

After Pelikan took the 1000 back in house they changed that to regular flex.

Bock nibs are made to Pelikan spec's. The vast then complaints about Bock nibs....continued word for word after Pelikan continued making the very same nibs they wanted...under their own name....fat blobby nibs that were stiffer than semi-vintage.

Vintage nibs will give you a nice clean line, that modern can not give unless ground into a stub or CI....a blob is a blob.

***You'd be wasting money looking for a '88-97 regular flex, and a modern nail 800...post 97 is totally worthless.

I got an W.Germany 800 because the '82-91 gold nibs or the W.Germany 200's have a tiny bit more spring to them than the '91-97 400/600/800.

They do not have enough ease of tine spread to match semi-flex....sadly.

Get your self a medium large 600, it is well balanced posted, has a thicker girth than the 400.

The 400's '50-65 semi-flex nib will fit it.

It will be monotone, not two toned, but who cares as long as the monotone gold vintage nib is better than semi-vintage or modern two toned.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

5 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Não, para o seu 400/600 .... as pontas semi-flex '50 -65 caberão no 400/600, não no 800 *** e você teria que ter muita sorte para apostar um Bock nibbed 1000 que foi semi-flex. Depois que Pelikan levou o 1000 para dentro de casa, eles mudaram para flex regular.

*** Você estaria desperdiçando dinheiro procurando um flex regular de 88-97 e um nail 800 moderno ... pós 97 é totalmente inútil.

Eu tenho um W.Germany 800 porque os '82 -91 gold nibs ou os W.Germany 200's têm um pouquinho mais de elasticidade do que os '91 -97 400/600/800.

Eles não têm facilidade de espalhamento suficiente para combinar com os semiflexíveis ... infelizmente.

Consiga um 600 médio grande, bem balanceado, com uma circunferência mais espessa que o 400.

A ponta semi-flexível '50 -65 do 400's vai caber nele.

Será monótono, não dois tons, mas quem se importa, contanto que o bico vintage monótono dourado seja melhor do que o semi-vintage ou moderno de dois tons.

Okay, well placed. Most of my Pelikan are vintage 100/200/400, but F and EF, so I look for a wider tip, I like to play with them sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just put this little pen together from some spare parts I’ve collected meanwhile. It is possible with P100N & P100 because of the modular design. A friend had the ebonite piston-side section+screw and I purchased this nice and well preserved EEF CN nib from missingpen on eBay. Looks and behaves like a “success story”.

ABE097E0-A093-432E-BB7C-F76C44D4928D.jpeg.d6aebde5cfbbd35d81f2e58e55548579.jpeg

🙂

Some recent additions to my flock since the last time I posted. It seems I was intent on getting all the greys:

And a post of some of all my striped m600s and a few others in their new pen box:

IMG_2652.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

1 hour ago, stoen said:

Hi,

I just put this little pen together from some spare parts I’ve collected meanwhile. It is possible with P100N & P100 because of the modular design. A friend had the ebonite piston-side section+screw and I purchased this nice and well preserved EEF CN nib from missingpen on eBay. Looks and behaves like a “success story”.

ABE097E0-A093-432E-BB7C-F76C44D4928D.jpeg.d6aebde5cfbbd35d81f2e58e55548579.jpeg

🙂

Lovely! I'd call that a good result too :)

Received this 400 Tortoise with an awesome OB nib a couple weeks ago, and immediately inked it with Serenity Blue. I wasn't sure if the nib would work with my writing style, but it does, and the tortoise celluloid is gorgeous!IMG-1050.thumb.jpg.cdc4e951c47eeb34528b0da8df96c4f6.jpg

19 hours ago, WLSpec said:

Received this 400 Tortoise with an awesome OB nib a couple weeks ago, and immediately inked it with Serenity Blue. I wasn't sure if the nib would work with my writing style, but it does, and the tortoise celluloid is gorgeous!IMG-1050.thumb.jpg.cdc4e951c47eeb34528b0da8df96c4f6.jpg

Nice.  Enjoy.  I didn't realise that they would engrave the nib size on the pistons.  Shows how much I know about the older flock.  I have only one.... a 400nn.

6 hours ago, maclink said:

Nice.  Enjoy.  I didn't realise that they would engrave the nib size on the pistons.  Shows how much I know about the older flock.  I have only one.... a 400nn.

Not all of the old ones have the nib size engraved.

There are engravings on two of my three 400s and none on the 400N and the two 400NNs.

On the other hand, one of the engraved 400s has a nib without any marking concerning size.

Thinking about it, I think I have only seen those markings on the pistons of the 400s, never on the two later models.

The current flock with the recent addition of a black, stickered M100. 

In order, L to R

Jazz Elegance M

120 Merz and Krell M

M100 M

M150 F

M200 Blue Marbled OB

M200 Cognac F 

M200 Brown Marbled M

M200 Gold Marbled B

M205 Duo transparent green BB 

140 F

400NN EF 

M400 White Tortoise B

20210227_114321.jpg

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

On 2/26/2021 at 4:50 PM, WLSpec said:

Received this 400 Tortoise with an awesome OB nib a couple weeks ago, and immediately inked it with Serenity Blue.

What a nice and well preserved pen, indeed!

...Not all of the old pens have nib size engraved...

AFAIK, the 400s of the first two production years (1950&51) have it. Those pens also have no engravings on the cap tube gold-plated ring (“Pelikan Günther Wagner”), but on the barrel top end instead.

🙂

Here’s my most recent addition:

a brown little #100 with 14k F nib. Its barrel was unfortunately broken beyond repair, so I had to replace it...

0B2F6E5B-A17F-4B93-AED0-867EFDAEC94D.jpeg.1ab3d7cab07be52c495bb3566430dde3.jpeg

🙂

On 2/27/2021 at 7:18 PM, carola said:

Not all of the old ones have the nib size engraved.

There are engravings on two of my three 400s and none on the 400N and the two 400NNs.

On the other hand, one of the engraved 400s has a nib without any marking concerning size.

Thinking about it, I think I have only seen those markings on the pistons of the 400s, never on the two later models.

Same here.
My two older 400s (the ones without the markings op the cap band so '50-'53) come with the size engraved on the piston knob, M and KM respectively. The newer 400 ('54-'56) doesn't come with an engraving of nib size, on either piston knob or nib. 
I don't own a 400N, but my 400NN comes with the nib size on the nib, not on the piston knob.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:12 PM, stoen said:

AFAIK, the 400s of the first two production years (1950&51) have it

Sweet, that means my early days 400s are really early days. :)

Those pens also have no engravings on the cap tube gold-plated ring (“Pelikan Günther Wagner”), but on the barrel top end instead.

So does my '54-'56 (with engravings on the cap band). Interestingly enough, it says "export" right above it. Weird, because I can't see any mention of an export model in this particular color (brown tortoise on the pelikan-collectibles website).

And the early 400s say "Günther Wagner Pelikan", in that order. I wonder why they changed it in 1954. To put more emphasis on "Pelikan"?

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

Runnin-Ute

Can you show a picture of both....just....

M200 Brown Marbled M

M200 Gold Marbled B

In I have the Brown Marbled.

the 400s of the first two production years (1950&51) have it.

5 minutes ago, Bikerchick said:

The newer 400 ('54-'56) doesn't come with an engraving of nib size, on either piston knob or nib. 

Well....this puts my '50's 400 Tortoise to 'probably' 51 or the first year of Tortoise, in mine has a nib marked and no piston knob marking, like other '50-54 green stripe Pelikans I have. Also then dates them to '53-54.

I had because my '50-54 tortoise had nib marking and no knob marking thought it a transition to the 400n.....thinking but not knowing the 400n was nib marked....or I'd read something on that. My 400nn is nib marked.

(repost by request ;) )

About a month ago, I bought a beautiful 400 in tortoise brown from a seller on a Dutch secondhand site. After a bit of a delivery nightmare (in all my enthusiasm, I had forgotten to ask the seller to send the package with track & trace and it took a week for the mailman to find my home), the pen and its pencil brethren arrived in the state he had described: mint.  When I caught another listing from the same man a week later, for a beautiful green marbled 100 and a grey marbled 100N, I jumped at the occasion without a moment's hesitation. They looked in really lovely condition too and the price was more than democratic. I jokingly asked the seller "if he had any other Pelikans lying around", maybe I could save him a trip or two to the post office. 

As it turned out, the seller was this really sweet, very eloquent 85-year old man who was selling off his entire collection because his own children had no interest in fountain pens whatsoever. The Pelikans, his darlings, were the last to go. The bulk of them was going to a friend, a fellow pen collector, but he was willing to give me a peek at all the doubles he had, to see if there was anything interesting among them.

Oh, was there ever.

And so, my dear fellow Pelikans aficionados, these little beauties were delivered to me yesterday.

XFfCFL3.jpg 
Left to right, top to bottom:

400 + pencil (in a lovely LS case, thanks to Christof for pointing that out :thumbup: )

140 + pencil

400NN

M200 Old Style

M150 Old Style

M400 Old Style

All pens arrived squeaky clean and in working order. There are a couple that could do with some silicon grease on the piston seal though.

(not pictured but in the same purchase: a bright red P100 and a P28 Silvexa)

My other passion

In the mean time, all these beauties have been submitted to a writing test and were then flushed for good measure. One of them, the M150 Old Style, is a little scratchy so I'll have to look into that. The tines made need a little alignment.

So here is the entire flock of piston fillers, including the ones I already had. Order: from old to new (presumed age in some cases). Missing from the line-up: the M200 Classic and M600 Red Striped which are on the way, when LCDC ever gets around to shipping them, and a 140, which is currently at a friend's house so he can try it on for size. 

VC3srpl.jpg

My other passion

3 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

In the mean time, all these beauties have been submitted to a writing test and were then flushed for good measure. One of them, the M150 Old Style, is a little scratchy so I'll have to look into that. The tines made need a little alignment.

So here is the entire flock of piston fillers, including the ones I already had. Order: from old to new (presumed age in some cases). Missing from the line-up: the M200 Classic and M600 Red Striped which are on the way, when LCDC ever gets around to shipping them, and a 140, which is currently at a friend's house so he can try it on for size. 

VC3srpl.jpg

Gorgeous. I'd like to take a photo like you someday.

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

3 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

VC3srpl.jpg

That pinstripe with rounded cap and bottom smack dab in the middle is gorgeous!  What a killer group of pens all in one place!

1 hour ago, danalgesic said:

That pinstripe with rounded cap and bottom smack dab in the middle is gorgeous!  What a killer group of pens all in one place!

Thanks Danalgesic!

Ah yes, the 400NN in brown tortoiseshell. It has a really interesting, flexy nib on it. I think the presence of the "F" sticker speaks volumes to how often this pen was used in the past.  :) 

My other passion