• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys I got a M101N today. The nib is EF. Ive filled it up already and it writes nicely although strangely not as fine as the EF of another Pelikan that I have. Its a small pen but the size even unposted is good for me as I have size 7 hands and I have a funny pen grip. 🙂

0D199625-2176-42DC-8188-D42C2BA08250.jpeg

9E7AE18E-0C4F-4782-98F7-C739DA720201.jpeg

How do you like the color live and in-person? I find it hard to judge from pictures...

Hi N1003U (i presume you are asking me?) 🙂

Well the stock pictures are a bit flat but in real life there is a nice depth to the blue-gray-black, and the rhodium (or is it palladium) trims complements it nicely. The pelican logo on the finial is etched but sadly its not filled - would be nice if it was filled in green to keep with the vintage. Overall i like it a lot and its a keeper for me. Although I got it at a nice discount as I wouldnt say it was worth list price, for that you could even get a nice M600/800 special.

Hi N1003U (i presume you are asking me?) 🙂

Well the stock pictures are a bit flat but in real life there is a nice depth to the blue-gray-black, and the rhodium (or is it palladium) trims complements it nicely. The pelican logo on the finial is etched but sadly its not filled - would be nice if it was filled in green to keep with the vintage. Overall i like it a lot and its a keeper for me. Although I got it at a nice discount as I wouldnt say it was worth list price, for that you could even get a nice M600/800 special.

Yes, I was asking you, Pingu...though I try to never limit questions to a single person on a public thread when possible... :)

I am looking for a modern M101N, and the blue/grey seems available for a good price compared to some of the other models.

Thanks for the pictures and for the follow-up comments! I am happy to hear the color has some depth.

That was my same experience with the Stresemann; in just the right light it has a depth and just a touch of chatoyance that makes the Stresemann models (to me anyway) a bit more interesting with time than they seemed when I first took them out of the box. Understated, for sure, yet not altogether boring.

That is what I was hoping to hear about the blue-grey M101N.

Thanks N. 🙂 (yes I like it when lots of people contribute to all-inclusive discussion)

I really like the blue... its like a frosty blue...

The nib is perfectly aligned although there is minor marks on the rhodium plating but nothing obvious unless you look real close or under a loupe... I believe M600 nibs are also compatible, which opens up more options... I have a spare M600 fine nib so I will test and report back whether this is true

These are the ones I owned before I made my recent purchase. I acquired these 4 Pelikans through a 8 year span.

The only Pelikans I want in the future are:

m600 Red

White Turquoise

Brilliant Orange

m101n Green Tortoise

Maybe a Stone Garden (I really like the finish, not sure why it is not popular),

Toledo.

then I will be done!!!

as others mentioned... you need to put a time frame to that statement

will be done for this year... will be done for this month... will be done until tomorrow :)

my last was the M605 Stresemann (lovely pen) but I am already considering

M805 blue dunes

M800 stone garden (I do like it!)

M800 brown striped

and I'm rather sure others will get in the way...

Thanks N. (yes I like it when lots of people contribute to all-inclusive discussion)

The nib is perfectly aligned although there is minor marks on the rhodium plating but nothing obvious unless you look real close or under a loupe... I believe M600 nibs are also compatible, which opens up more options... I have a spare M600 fine nib so I will test and report back whether this is true

I concur... ( :lol: sorry guys, just had to say it, makes me laugh every time I do, after watching "catch me if you can" with Leonardo DiCaprio...)

the blue-grey is sort of frosty! not easy to catch in photo

fpn_1590688610__p1190127-3_pelikan_m101n

PS not on par with the original it is inspired to obviously

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/343469-pelikan-m101n-grey-blue/page-2?do=findComment&comment=4165980

but still nice especially if you got it at a discounted price (got mine new at just below 300 euro)

Edited by sansenri

Thanks N. (yes I like it when lots of people contribute to all-inclusive discussion)

yes, M400/M600 Pelikan nibs are compatible but they are a slightly different shape, the nib in the M101N series has a sexy shape...(cannot describe it otherwise) sort of more sinuous...

as others mentioned... you need to put a time frame to that statement

will be done for this year... will be done for this month... will be done until tomorrow :)

my last was the M605 Stresemann (lovely pen) but I am already considering

M805 blue dunes

M800 stone garden (I do like it!)

M800 brown striped

and I'm rather sure others will get in the way...

Maybe for 4 years lol. I start graduate school in Fall of next year. So I will be cutting down on pen purchases. I did order m200 demonstrator, m200 blue marbled, and m120 black/green (current model). I am really fond of the marbled Pelikans. I am still waiting for my m101n tortoise.Z

I think I will be holding out on the Stone Garden, and replacing it with Kaweco DIA 2 Amber. Two my eyes, the finish is nicer on the Kaweco. Similar patterns? I don't think I will ever use the ballpoint. I hate buying things and just have them laying there.

Edited by TitoThePencilPimp

I concur... ( :lol: sorry guys, just had to say it, makes me laugh every time I do, after watching "catch me if you can" with Leonardo DiCaprio...)

the blue-grey is sort of frosty! not easy to catch in photo

fpn_1590688610__p1190127-3_pelikan_m101n

PS not on par with the original it is inspired to obviously

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/343469-pelikan-m101n-grey-blue/page-2?do=findComment&comment=4165980

but still nice especially if you got it at a discounted price (got mine new at just below 300 euro)

Thanks sansenri 🙂 Wow the vintage original is beautiful. I dont know why they cannot replicate exactly... the same also for the 2013 tortoise brown m800 not quite the same as the vintage... is it to do with modern materials or have they lost the old recipe? Edited by Pingu

yes, M400/M600 Pelikan nibs are compatible but they are a slightly different shape, the nib in the M101N series has a sexy shape...(cannot describe it otherwise) sort of more sinuous...

I concur... 😁 And I love the more sinuous clip too

Well, Ive put the M600 nib on it, and I must say it does look rather handsome 😃

133A2ADC-D2AC-4088-BF1B-6E39625738F1.jpeg

E6901105-0712-4F1C-912F-FAA6C765BA9F.jpeg

Edited by Pingu

Thanks sansenri Wow the vintage original is beautiful. I dont know why they cannot replicate exactly... the same also for the 2013 tortoise brown m800 not quite the same as the vintage... is it to do with modern materials or have they lost the old recipe?

Materials for the most part. The current binde are made of cellulose acetate, the old ones of cellulose nitrate (celluloid). There is a difference in the depth and chatoyancy between those two.

Materials for the most part. The current binde are made of cellulose acetate, the old ones of cellulose nitrate (celluloid). There is a difference in the depth and chatoyancy between those two.

Ah I see! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. 🙂

The most of the vinatge ones had a gray binde but gold trim:

37232859046_d2551d0528_k.jpgPelikan 100N Gray von -C.M.Z-

..but there was an early version with nickel trim too. quite hard to find nowadays:

32967842961_8920c29f8f_k.jpgPelikan 100N/Auch-Pelikan 200 von -C.M.Z-

there is also a great variety of bindes on vintage pens, from boring even, until extremely vivid.

c.

Edited by christof

Christof those pens are gorgeous 😍 I cant decided if it looks nicer with gold trim. I could customise my blue gray M101N and rub the rhodium plating off...

I could customise my blue gray M101N and rub the rhodium plating off...

I think the base in those is brass (or a brass alloy) so doing that might produce a not so pleasant result.

I think the base in those is brass (or a brass alloy) so doing that might produce a not so pleasant result.

no, it's gold. look at the picture, it says 585 (= 14ct) imprinted on the nib.