Penbbs 471 Pocket Pen ... Or Second Double-Sided Pen?

JollyCynic

PenBBS appears about to launch their new pocket pen, the PenBBS 471. It's one of two pens we've been told to expect this month, the other being a new twisted polygonal metal pen. Pictures (and video) from Beini's Instagram account indicate it will be available in at least her traditionally exclusive colours of Niangao Is a Cat, Amber Is a Cat, and Silence (purple and blue).

It has a few interesting attributes that distinguish it from other current offerings in the Chinese pocket pen market. For example, it takes the normal PenBBS nibs, meaning (cap room permitting) it can take standard size 6 nibs. Photos from Beini have shown the pens with the new M nibs and rounded F nibs, but it hasn't yet been stated if these new nibs will be available on all new models.

Beini has also stated that Long is including a loose ... cap band? It's a coupling ring with knurled/faceted edges that looks like a cap band, and it screws onto both the back end of the pen and the end of the cap. So this can be used to couple the cap onto the back of the pen with the ring in the middle. The cap can also be screwed onto the back of the pen directly without the ring by flipping it around, like the Wancai Mini, shortening the pen by a few millimetres.

It also means, however, that two pens may be coupled together back-to-back with the ring, with the cap of one posted/screwed onto the cap of the other, for a new take on a double-ended pen. (Several pens appear to be able to be connected together if you have any desire for a two-foot pen.)

When the pen is closed (and without the ring) it's just shorter than the Wancai Mini. When it's posted with the ring, it's just longer than the Wancai Mini. I haven't seen photos of it posted without the ring, but it's possible according to photos of several caps screwed together. (I don't know if the ring can be 'stored' on the section between the barrel and the cap when closed ... My brain hurts when I try to think about how it would work.)

It's an eye-dropper fill, obviously (or maybe not obviously ... Long has been engineering some pretty crazy pens lately), with what appears to be a fairly small reservoir.

Beini's stated on the Etsy shop that she's out of town this week, so I think we may have until at least next week before they're launched in the west. Or not. I've been wrong about basically everything I've guessed about this pen thus far.

Edited by JollyCynic

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JollyCynic

• Driften

• penzel_washinkton

• Honeybadgers

Yeah. Saw the video in Beini's IG page and I can't fully absorb what's going on. But it does seem interesting and offers a lot of flexibility.

Beini has posted a few photos from Long to her Instagram indicating that the 471 will be available on her Etsy page likely Monday or Tuesday, along with some model 308 pens (a gold accent Vermouth was shown), 469 pens (Gloom was shown), and 456 pens (Tuzi Is a Cat shown). The 471 colours she said would be available are Hawaii, Berries, and Fairyland, all of which are premium gradients.

Further colours shown are listed here:

471-8SF Pink Smoothie

471-9SF Summer

471-15SF Black

471-27SF Hawaii

471-29SF Berries

471-39SF Fairyland

471-43SF Cloud

471-44SF Billows

471-52SF Galaxy

Beini has also been showing her exclusive colours of Amber Is a Cat, Niangao Is a Cat, and Silence, but hasn't said if/when these might be available.

Hopefully this time they launch it at a friendly time for East / South East Asian, unlike the 469 and 456.

My impression is that it doesn't look good. I think that Long asks Beini to wait until the day after he puts pens up in his Taobao shop, so she waits until midnight Shanghai time to list them. But that's based on nothing but my own observations and nothing resembling a fact.

Long had listed new 456s today (in Hawaii, Berries, Fairyland, Sea of Ice, and Tuzi Is a Cat colours), but around the same time Beini noticed us discussing them on Facebook, ALL 456 pens disappeared from Long's shop. So I think maybe we noticed them earlier than anticipated. (The new 469 in Gloom is still showing, however.)

She told us she'll be updating stock on Etsy tomorrow, so I'd guess a little more than 24 hours from now. For the 471 pocket pen, Beini has told us to expect Hawaii, Berries, and Fairyland. No idea about nib options, yet.

She just put up Amber and Nianago versions of the 471 with M nibs... I had to order that :)

The picture of Amber listed with the gold ring and M nib does have the paw prints. I hope that is actually the case.

Edited by Driften

Here's the updated list of the 471. With how many pens they released today, I don't think they're sold out of anything yet, including the 456-37SF Niangao Is a Cat vacuum-filler pen.

471-8SF/GM Pink Smoothie (silver ring, rounded fine nib / gold ring, medium nib)

471-9SF/GM Summer (silver ring, rounded fine nib / gold ring, medium nib)

471-15SF/GM Black (silver ring, rounded fine nib / gold ring, medium nib)

471-26SF/GM Starry Night (silver ring, rounded fine nib / gold ring, medium nib, previously incorrectly listed as 471-52SF Galaxy)

471-27SF/GM Hawaii (silver ring, rounded fine nib / gold ring, medium nib)

471-29SF/GM Berries (silver ring, rounded fine nib / gold ring, medium nib)

471-37SF/GM Niangao Is a Cat (silver ring, rounded fine nib / gold ring, medium nib)

471-38SF/GM Silence (silver ring, rounded fine nib / gold ring, medium nib)

471-39SF/GM Fairyland (silver ring, rounded fine nib / gold ring, medium nib)

471-43SF/GM Cloud (silver ring, rounded fine nib / gold ring, medium nib)

471-53SF/GM Amber Is a Cat (silver ring, fine mini-fude cat's paw nib / gold ring, medium nib, maybe cat's paw?)

471-77SF/GM Storm (silver ring, rounded fine nib / gold ring, medium nib, previously incorrectly listed as 471-44SF Billows)

I also looked at the Amber Is a Cat nib, but when I blow it up it isn't clear enough to be 100% sure that it's a medium nib with paw prints, or if it's the old nib left on. That'd be extremely cool if it were a medium paw prints nib.

The new metal PenBBS 380 also dropped today. It's 14.5 cm capped, 13 cm un-posted, and has a 15 mm diameter at its widest point. Long hasn't weighed it for us, yet.

Edited by JollyCynic

For this time I have to say that this design does not appeal to me. I think the inspiration that Beini got for this pen is based on lipstick products (IMO) but it just seems off.

The under the radar PenBBS 380 design is way more interesting than the 471 and the fact that all 380 models are out of stock in their store is quite telling.

For this time I have to say that this design does not appeal to me. I think the inspiration that Beini got for this pen is based on lipstick products (IMO) but it just seems off.

The under the radar PenBBS 380 design is way more interesting than the 471 and the fact that all 380 models are out of stock in their store is quite telling.

I have no interest in the metal 380 model. I don't think it's telling, what I think is more 471's were produced then anything else right now. There was 12 materials in F and M available. When the 355 came out the first run were three materials in two nib options. When the 456 came out there was like 3-4 materials all in F.

How many finish options were launched on the 380? Did it actually even launch on Etsy? None of the 380's have shown up on eBay yet for high prices there can't have been many sold.

I have no interest in the metal 380 model. I don't think it's telling, what I think is more 471's were produced then anything else right now. There was 12 materials in F and M available. When the 355 came out the first run were three materials in two nib options. When the 456 came out there was like 3-4 materials all in F.

How many finish options were launched on the 380? Did it actually even launch on Etsy? None of the 380's have shown up on eBay yet for high prices there can't have been many sold.

Are you sure though? PenBBS has always stock low on their initial launch at Etsy for any model and I don't think 471 is any different. Sure they have many variants but each stock is probably not that much.

The 380 is already sold out for all 3/4 variants I believe, and yes they did launch on Etsy and you missed at having a glance at it.

But again I still see the 471 not as interesting as their other models.

But again I still see the 471 not as interesting as their other models.

Totally valid opinion. If it wasn't for the cat materials I might not have bought a 471. I have zero interest in the 380. But I will be watching eagerly for the next filling system model which ever that is. I think someone said it was a button filler?

Now if only my 355 demonstrator would just show up.. It went though US Customs eight days ago...

I have two in the white/blue swirl on the way now. And one of the new aluminum twist models. Thanks Pil.

If any of you find a penBBS model released in that swirly gentle cloud white/blue acrylic, buy it for yourself. it's stupid pretty, and just translucent enough to be a great demonstrator.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The 380 is already sold out for all 3/4 variants I believe, and yes they did launch on Etsy and you missed at having a glance at it.

It did sell out quickly, but there were only 35 model 380 pens total across the four variants, 10 of each except the black with gold trim, which had just 5.

Each of the pocket pens had between 25 and 40 units. I'm normally watching the pens as they're released, but heard my Etsy buzzer triggered while I was crossing the room to turn off my morning alarm. I missed the data I normally grab while doing morning things and driving to work, and didn't turn on the automated logs because I wasn't prepared for the updates for about eight or nine more hours.

The fastest pens to sell were really the 456 models, at least in the popular colours. Only the silver/fine in the new blue and white Storm colour has sold out in the 471, and the gold/medium version is still available. I think there were 50 available between the two variants, but I'm not 100% sure.

eBay items show up about two days after Long launches his pens on Taobao, when resellers in Shanghai receive their orders. Long released at the same time as Beini this time, so it'll seem like a longer wait.

Totally valid opinion. If it wasn't for the cat materials I might not have bought a 471. I have zero interest in the 380. But I will be watching eagerly for the next filling system model which ever that is. I think someone said it was a button filler?

Now if only my 355 demonstrator would just show up.. It went though US Customs eight days ago...

Yours too regarding the 380, different taste for different folks.

I am also waiting for their button filler and that's the reason I skimped on the 355.

It did sell out quickly, but there were only 35 model 380 pens total across the four variants, 10 of each except the black with gold trim, which had just 5.

Each of the pocket pens had between 25 and 40 units. I'm normally watching the pens as they're released, but heard my Etsy buzzer triggered while I was crossing the room to turn off my morning alarm. I missed the data I normally grab while doing morning things and driving to work, and didn't turn on the automated logs because I wasn't prepared for the updates for about eight or nine more hours.

The fastest pens to sell were really the 456 models, at least in the popular colours. Only the silver/fine in the new blue and white Storm colour has sold out in the 471, and the gold/medium version is still available. I think there were 50 available between the two variants, but I'm not 100% sure.

eBay items show up about two days after Long launches his pens on Taobao, when resellers in Shanghai receive their orders. Long released at the same time as Beini this time, so it'll seem like a longer wait.

That is a nice insight. Interesting when the review of 380 and 471 comes up.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 471's today. I really like the look of the Niangao material. The Amber I liked better in my 267. One thing no one said anything about is the 471's come with the rollerball nib as well as the fp nib. When the pen is joined with a second one it is quite long. I expect like the 469. The single pen fits nice in the 5th or watch pocket on my jeans. It could be a good spot to carry one. Right now it seems more like a novelty than something I'm going to use a lot.

At this point I'm not in a hurry to ink them up. I did get a couple other pens at the same time and am going to start with them.

It's way longer than a 469. uncapped and posted, the thing's like nine inches long :lol:

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I got my 471's today. I really like the look of the Niangao material. One thing no one said anything about is the 471's come with the rollerball nib as well as the fp nib ...

I got my Niangao a few days ago but am still waiting for the rest of my order. It's much darker than my Niangao 308 to the point of looking like a different acrylic. I can see ink levels through the 308 without difficulty, but the 471 is almost as difficult to judge as Galaxy.

If you ended up with an Amber in the GM trim, did it come with the regular M nib, or a cat's paw nib?

I got my Niangao a few days ago but am still waiting for the rest of my order. It's much darker than my Niangao 308 to the point of looking like a different acrylic. I can see ink levels through the 308 without difficulty, but the 471 is almost as difficult to judge as Galaxy.

If you ended up with an Amber in the GM trim, did it come with the regular M nib, or a cat's paw nib?

It has the cats paws markings just like what was used in the past with no indication of nib size. I have not inked it yet, but by looking at it and comparing it to both the F and M, it's a M.