Old Map + Daiso Paper = Homemade Journal Rabbit Hole

ceramicmj

Before Thanksgiving, I googled Daiso paper and Fountain Pen reviews - there are no Daisos in Portland, and I was going to the land of the many Daisos (4 within easy driving distance of relatives).

This led me to an unexpected hobby, thanks to TMLee's very detailed review and a lurking bombshell of a link that led me to his "355 Mini" journals. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/314318-the-355-mini An hour later, I emerged from the rabbit hole, hooked!

I hauled as many notebooks home as I could (note: there were witnesses, some restraint was displayed).

Combined with an old Thomas Guide (detailed map of Portland) and various found items in the house - off I went!

post-147050-0-66300700-1546753849.jpg

post-147050-0-14566100-1546753990.jpg

Youtube was my friend for single coptic stitch demos. There were (and still are) lots of mistakes, but you learn by doing, and these are perfect for rapid prototyping! There's uneven tension, missed stitches, but I ADORE them! (you can probably guess which one was book #1)

post-147050-0-31793700-1546754016.jpg

post-147050-0-39194500-1546754007.jpg

I'm now adding flyleaves (limited success - need better paper and to not yank thread in directions that tear the fragile paper). I want to experiment with a pocket, elastic... those are coming soon. I have pockets cut out, elastic purchased.

post-147050-0-80812300-1546754041.jpg

More pix later, but I want to get this posted before I accidentally zap this again (first official thread! first photos! Note to self, find out where things are autosaved).

(fingers crossed, gonna hit post now)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ceramicmj

• TMLee

• mhguda

• drv1913

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hooray, that posting didn't fail! OK, so a few more photos, and then bedtime!

Books 3 & 4 used SUPER cute origami paper, also from Daiso. Not the best quality paper, but hey, we're experimenting, and who can turn down funny little dots with mustaches, amiright?

post-147050-0-59094900-1546755206.jpg

post-147050-0-47729000-1546755216.jpg

Also showing how I'm labeling them - Noodler's Blue Ghost - hard to take a photo with blue light and a shaky cellphone, but y'all get the idea.

post-147050-0-06937800-1546755225.jpg

Goodnight all!

Good on you! those look really nice, so did you make a book block out of several of the Daiso notebooks? and then make your own cover. Yup, dangerous.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor and inspiration!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Well done !

Looks like you made quite a few :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As per your pic, the DAISO notebook on the right is better.

Its paper is thicker.

The one on the left is thinner and white in colour.

Kind of translucent. But not the ivory one on the right.

I am guessing that your first notebook was stitched with this paper,

the signatures there look unlined and off-white and a little bulkier compared to the rest.

How many folios in one signature ?

Keep at it,

soon you will settle on a certain design that will suit your needs perfectly.

Enjoy ... :D

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

Good on you! those look really nice, so did you make a book block out of several of the Daiso notebooks? and then make your own cover. Yup, dangerous.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor and inspiration!

Thanks for the encouragement! I made a book block out of several different kinds of Daiso notebooks (I will have to see if I got pictures of them all, I bought a variety). I got about 2 books from each notebook I ripped apart.

It's fun, but harder the more I get into it and read up. So many questions! So many different ways to do things!

(So many hobbies already!!!)

Well done !

Looks like you made quite a few :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As per your pic, the DAISO notebook on the right is better.

Its paper is thicker.

The one on the left is thinner and white in colour.

Kind of translucent. But not the ivory one on the right.

I am guessing that your first notebook was stitched with this paper,

the signatures there look unlined and off-white and a little bulkier compared to the rest.

How many folios in one signature ?

Keep at it,

soon you will settle on a certain design that will suit your needs perfectly.

Enjoy ... :D

Thank you! You're right, I made a couple from the notebook on the left (60 pages in the pad, which was nice). I think I had 7-8 folios in the signature, I think the thicker paper should be more like 4-5? I haven't tried them yet... I've been saving the notebooks on the right for when I'm more consistent and less clumsy. I really should have taken photos of the 2 needle coptic stitch last weekend, the tangles were hilarious!

I might have taken a photo of the planning pad (grid on one side, blank on the other) that I also tried - several books out of that, also pretty thin paper but had the added bonus of a perfectly placed dot halfway down the paper which made cutting the paper incredibly easy. I'll have to see if I snagged one on my cellphone.

The more I try this, the more I really respect the skill and craftsmanship your books have! There is nothing like trying to do something yourself to realize how much thought and planning and practice goes into something.

I think I'm going to mock up some "signatures" w/ just cardboard this weekend and try a couple of the stitches a little differently this weekend. I have seen some slight differences online and I want to try them out on completely throwaway pieces.

Thanks for the encouragement :D

They look stunning.

Thanks, they are so much fun! Not perfect, but a lot of character and every single one has taught me something.

I now need to start finding uses for them (at least one is already tagged for a gift). But (cough, cough) it's not like I didn't already have a few (cough) spare journals lying around already. I think the family is going to get a few of these shipped out in a little bit.

Goal: use up all the Daiso paper before next trip to Daiso. I have a friend who wants to drive to Seattle for a Daiso road trip, but that should wait until after tax season. I have a few months...

Thank you! You're right, I made a couple from the notebook on the left (60 pages in the pad, which was nice). I think I had 7-8 folios in the signature, I think the thicker paper should be more like 4-5? I haven't tried them yet... I've been saving the notebooks on the right for when I'm more consistent and less clumsy. I really should have taken photos of the 2 needle coptic stitch last weekend, the tangles were hilarious!

I might have taken a photo of the planning pad (grid on one side, blank on the other) that I also tried - several books out of that, also pretty thin paper but had the added bonus of a perfectly placed dot halfway down the paper which made cutting the paper incredibly easy. I'll have to see if I snagged one on my cellphone.

The more I try this, the more I really respect the skill and craftsmanship your books have! There is nothing like trying to do something yourself to realize how much thought and planning and practice goes into something.

I think I'm going to mock up some "signatures" w/ just cardboard this weekend and try a couple of the stitches a little differently this weekend. I have seen some slight differences online and I want to try them out on completely throwaway pieces.

Thanks for the encouragement :D

You are doing fine ... :thumbup:

I wish you all the best in your new hobby ... :)

Do show us your experiments with the other stitch patterns.

I remember once seeing (using ?) coloured dental floss.

But I dont see them anymore.

I think it was light blue in colour.

I am sure it will look better than the common transparent one we see everywhere.

A crafter suggested that I twine 2 strands of different coloured waxed cords , and then

use a lighter to kind of like heat them up to make them adhere ... and then stitch with that new twine.

Interesting suggestion.

Haven't tried it.

Was apprehensive - won't it get sooty ?

anyway if you ever try that , do let us know the results. :D

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram