Leonardo Momento Zero Red-Marbled Resin (Expanding Long Term Review)

TheDutchGuy

I recently purchased a green marble Leonardo Momento Zero with a Stub nib with another two spare nibs - a Fine and an EF - courtesy of Frank at Fontoplumo (no affiliation). Here's an example of all three nibs using FPR blue/black on 4mm grid Tomoegawa paper.

Beautiful -- thank you! These are the exact nibs I am considering. I think the EF is the one for me. I might like a stub to try, but most factory stubs are just too wide for my writing style. So I could either thin down the Leonardo stub, or else I am thinking a fpnibs fine cursive nib might be a great alternate nib... either the Jowo they have now, or the Bocks they will offer in the next few months.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheDutchGuy

• Karmachanic

• A Smug Dill

• DrDebG

As some may have read on other threads, I think I am the only one who has had "issues" with my stub nibs. I love the pens - they are beautiful and well balanced - the perfect weight. But the nibs . . . The stub nibs have baby's bottom - what can I say. I have cleaned them thoroughly several times, tried so many different inks on different papers to try and dissuade myself of this. Alas, they have baby's bottom. Finally, I contacted Dereck at Novelli and they are sending me two new fine nibs (since everyone else loves the fine nibs). He will send them as soon as he gets them in stock.

In the meantime . . . my Momento Zeroes have baby's bottom. Woe is me! Sniff! Sniff! :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

I'm asking about the stub nibs to understand.

Factory stubs usually have tipping. Too much tipping may cause baby bottom, but at least if there is spare tipping they can be ground to cure the issue. In general I tend to prefer stubs with tipping more than those stubs which are obtained by cutting off the nib tip and then smoothing out the steel.

Anyone has a picture of the underside of the stub nib?

You might want to try running the nib on micromesh keeping the nib tip parallel to the micromesh sheet, holding it at the angle you usually write, testing gradually, to see if the baby bottom can be cured.

I have done this on a Bexley stub which had baby bottom and it worked. The baby bottom was mild so just micromesh did the job.

If you don't feel confident, ask for replacement, or ask a nibmeister to take a look at it.

David seems to have quite a number of these Leonardo stubs but experienced no issue in any of them, if I understand.

I was also wondering how wide is the Leonardo stub.

I read somewhere that it's 1.5, which is quite wide, Ink_Monitor's picture seems to confirm. Anyone has this information?

I'm looking to buy a sea stone with the stub.

Edited by sansenri

I'm interested in the Leonardo Stub nib, can anyone post a picture of the underside?

I'm interested to see whether the nib is tipped or not in the stub nib.

Thank you!

I bought two Momento Zero stubs about the same time as DrPenfection from the same vendor, and both have performed flawlessly and are my best writers. Ive attached a couple of photos of the nibs as you requested.

post-135891-0-70708000-1556192014_thumb.jpeg

post-135891-0-87533900-1556192028_thumb.jpeg

post-135891-0-14032200-1556192044_thumb.jpeg

Look the same as standard Bock and Jowo stubs. As in no apparent tipping. I have the (Bock made) Leonardo version mounted on a ASA Maya and have come to prefer it to the Bock 1.1

Add lightness and simplicate.

I bought two Momento Zero stubs about the same time as DrPenfection from the same vendor, and both have performed flawlessly and are my best writers. Ive attached a couple of photos of the nibs as you requested.

Thank you very much, very useful!

Look the same as standard Bock and Jowo stubs. As in no apparent tipping. I have the (Bock made) Leonardo version mounted on a ASA Maya and have come to prefer it to the Bock 1.1

Thank you, it does look like there is no tipping, possibly not my type of stub then, but as everyone's (almost) is happy with it I may give it a try (possibly also get a spare B ).

Sounds odd how DrPenfection has found a baby bottom on it, in a straight cut stub like that, it's odd.

Edited by sansenri

I kind of like the idea of no iridium tipping... steel is good these days, and raw steel on paper will slowly polish and wear down according to your personal writing style and angle. I would imagine a few dozen pages written on semi rough paper like paper bag or flat cardboard might even cure a mild baby's bottom issue or any scratchiness.

The Leonardo stubs are my absolute favourites and at €18.00 each, you cant go wrong, although they are indeed a 1.5mm stub, so are not to everyone's taste.

On the other hand they are so pleasant to use - and substantial line variation is easily attained. A stroke sideways obtains a line that is ultra fine and a stroke down (with little extra pressure) gets you up to a 1.7mm wide line without railroading (as long as you have a nice wet feed of course). The transition between fine and broad is also fairly controllable, so I find that a lot of expression can be put into both handwriting and calligraphy samples. I have found changing the nibs in my Momento Zero fairly straight forward, so would recommend anyone to give these stubs a try.

I was so happy with the stubs, that I bought a Fine nib from Leonardo, and it writes every bit as smoothly as the stubs, with just a whisper of feedback, ( not surprising in the Fine nib). Dereck and Marco at Novelli have given me terrific service. I ordered my last item Tuesday and it was delivered from Rome to the SE USA this morning.

I was so happy with the stubs, that I bought a Fine nib from Leonardo, and it writes every bit as smoothly as the stubs, with just a whisper of feedback, ( not surprising in the Fine nib). Dereck and Marco at Novelli have given me terrific service. I ordered my last item Tuesday and it was delivered from Rome to the SE USA this morning.

I am so glad that they are working well for you. Dereck has stated that he will be sending me two new nibs - both fine. Hopefully, they will work well. But I agree that Dereck and Marco have been wonderful!

Another friend of mine was in Italy and purchased two Leonardo MZs about the same time as I purchased mine. He bought a fine and a stub. His stub seems to have the same problems mine did. But the fine nib works really well for him.

I haven't tried to do anything with the stub nibs yet. They continue to give me problems. I may just send them off to a nibmeister to fix.

I love the weight and size - I love everything about the pens except for the stub nibs. Hopefully this will all be corrected soon.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today