First Time Using Rhodia Paper

Well after 2 years of enjoying the World of Fountain Pens I've finally got my hands on Rhodia Paper, yes I know took too long. There is an explanation for it. You see, the only place I could find Rhodia paper was on Blick, which is an Art Store and the Rhodia notebooks and pads that they have are a little expensive. So every time I've approach the stand where these paper is I've always back away from it.

Then I went online, so the ones affordable were very small, I was not interest it, I want it a nice size pad or notebook that I could play with my fountain pens and inks. Finally one day I walk into a Michael's another big Art and Crafts store and boom! There it was, just perfect a nice Rhodia Dot Pad No. 16 - 80 sheets 80g/m2 -21.3lb -High Grade Vellum Paper, not to mentioned that I got it with a 50% Coupon. My hunt was over, went running back home filled up my pens and there...look how beautiful :wub:

I like the paper, doesn't bleed is very smooth and for the inks I'm using is perfect can't be happier. Now I can write letters to my friends in a nice smooth and elegant paper.

4B3F0EDF-A88E-4456-AA07-5129D391E9F0_zps

Edited by MRose

FP's: Noodler's Charlie Pen, Noodler's King Philip Ahab, JinHao X450 Blue, JinHao X750 Gold, Jinhao 599 Transparent, Hero 366 Green, Hero 9626, Hero 329-A Jinhao Shark Black and Green,Jinhao 992 Coffee, Lamy Safari Black, Lanbitou /2 Transparent/ 1 Black /1 Red/1 Beige, Hero 9075 Black, Twsbi Go Saphire, Jinhao Porcelain Horses, Pilot Vanishing Point Black
INKS: Noodler's Heart of Darkness - Baystate Blue - Apache Sunset - Bullet Proof Black - Blue Nose Bear - Black Swan In Australian Roses - Widow Maker - 54th Massachusetts - Navajo Turquoise - Burning Rome - General of The Armies
OTHER INKS: Thortons - Green / Pelikan-Blue / J. Herbin 1670- Ocean Blue / Diamine Skulls and Roses

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• MRose

• XYZZY

• Temenos

Enjoy! Your post reminded me I should try some dot grid Rhodia, I still have a blank pad.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Enjoy! Your post reminded me I should try some dot grid Rhodia, I still have a blank pad.

Thank you, I love it very smooth paper. The only thing I think that wetter inks take longer to dry like Apache Sunset took for ever...but go for it I recommend it :D

FP's: Noodler's Charlie Pen, Noodler's King Philip Ahab, JinHao X450 Blue, JinHao X750 Gold, Jinhao 599 Transparent, Hero 366 Green, Hero 9626, Hero 329-A Jinhao Shark Black and Green,Jinhao 992 Coffee, Lamy Safari Black, Lanbitou /2 Transparent/ 1 Black /1 Red/1 Beige, Hero 9075 Black, Twsbi Go Saphire, Jinhao Porcelain Horses, Pilot Vanishing Point Black
INKS: Noodler's Heart of Darkness - Baystate Blue - Apache Sunset - Bullet Proof Black - Blue Nose Bear - Black Swan In Australian Roses - Widow Maker - 54th Massachusetts - Navajo Turquoise - Burning Rome - General of The Armies
OTHER INKS: Thortons - Green / Pelikan-Blue / J. Herbin 1670- Ocean Blue / Diamine Skulls and Roses

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately for me, the selection at my local Michaels is pretty limited. I tend to get mine at a small chain art supply called "Artists and Craftsmen Supply" (although there is now a Dick Block store in Pittsburgh, I haven't seen much in the way of Rhodia at that location -- although I rather like the EqoQua dot grid notebook I picked up there).

To the OP: no, Rhodia isn't cheap. I keep looking at the Rhodiarama journals and walking away when I see the price....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 weeks later...

Great paper i am currently using Rhodia.

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |

• 4 weeks later...

I have several Rhodia pads, like them. However I mainly write on cheaper college blocks, they are way cheaper.

The Rhodia paper, being very smooth, does not 'absorb' ink as the college block paper does. Which it by intent.

But the 'ink acceptance' of Rhodia is also more sensitive to the oils from your skin; starting at the top everything is fine, but when I reach the part where I rested my palm, the ink sometimes flows a little less good and the pen skips occasionally. So I always put a loose sheet under my palm to prevent my skin from touching the paper.

With the college blocks no need to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to ask a noob question. Since I've only recently started looking at high-end papers, I'm surprised by the number of offerings with dots. At first I assumed that for papers from Japan (Midori) this was helpful to people writing in Kanji vertically. Do western writers also like the dotted paper to help carefully measure their letters for cursive?

I wonder if I'd find it more distraction than help. I'm just not accustomed to seeing dotted paper.

I am not (usually!) writing kanji and I like dots. They lay down a very light pattern and sort of become invisible.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I need to ask a noob question. Since I've only recently started looking at high-end papers, I'm surprised by the number of offerings with dots. At first I assumed that for papers from Japan (Midori) this was helpful to people writing in Kanji vertically. Do western writers also like the dotted paper to help carefully measure their letters for cursive?

I wonder if I'd find it more distraction than help. I'm just not accustomed to seeing dotted paper.

Kanji is all Greek to me :). My writing is all English (although sometimes with math), and usually cursive. But I like dotgrid paper. Horizontally the dots are like lines for writing on, but less visually intrusive than an actual line. Vertically... for me that has nothing to do with forming/spacing characters while writing. It's a useful guideline for keeping indentation squared up. Or when I'm drawing it helps keep things square (my drawing is more like engineering/drafting, not artistic).

• 2 months later...

I keep looking at the Rhodiarama journals and walking away when I see the price....[/font]

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

It is good that you walked away from the Rhodiarama journals. Rhodia journals have the ivory color 90gsm paper. Rhodia pads have white color 80gsm paper. I love my Rhodia pads but hated my Rhodia goal book journal and webie journal. Rhodia journal paper are not consistent. Some of the booklet are nice, some are definitely not fountain pen friendly- the ink spread, shows through the page, all horrible things you can imagine. I found about 1/3 of the pages in my goal book being horrible.

The pads are good!

• 1 month later...

I just picked up two Rhodia no 18 dotpads and I am VERY unhappy with them. I am in the process of returning them because the paper exhibits feathering which is driving me nuts.

I've never tried a Rhodia Dotpad No.18, but I hated the paper in my one and only Bloc Rhodia No.18 7mm-ruled notepad, which was nothing like its Bloc Rhodia No.16 counterparts in terms of feathering and bleed-through even with usually well-behaved inks. Thus I'm not buying any No.18 Rhodia products ever again, even if the per-sheet price works out cheaper than the No.16 products with the same page size and printed guide marks.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I also happen to love my Rhodia dot grid no. 16... in fact you reminded me that I'm halfway through my last pad of this! Egads, and my local brick and mortar supplier is on summer vacation right now! >___<

... I'll live vicariously through you. Enjoy your Rhodia experience to the fullest! :)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

• 2 weeks later...

Love my Dot padsi have them all over! They are a little wet but I just keep a sheet of blotting paper on the current page so when I close it everything stays neat and tidy!

• 1 year later...

There is no such thing as "Rhodia" paper. Across their whole range of products they must've used like at least 5 different types of paper (sometimes explicitly saying the paper used is actually "Clairefontaine") with varying degrees of consistency and quality.

It's not like Tomoe River paper where they have a specification of how they make it.

Someone tell me I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, Modus Ponens said:

There is no such thing as "Rhodia" paper. Across their whole range of products they must've used like at least 5 different types of paper (sometimes explicitly saying the paper used is actually "Clairefontaine") with varying degrees of consistency and quality.

It's not like Tomoe River paper where they have a specification of how they make it.

Well there is "Rhodia paper", but I think your point is that just saying "Rhodia paper" is unspecific, it could be one of many different things.

The same thing goes for Tomoe River paper.  It's manufacturer is Tomoegawa.  As a hint:  translating "Tomoegawa" to English gives "Tomoe River".  They are a huge company that makes many different papers.  In the FP world there are two popular ones: 52gsm and 62gsm.  The 52gsm paper intended for stationary, but if you go through old posts on FPN you'll find somebody bought a large quantity many years ago only to find it wasn't the stationery paper, but something else, and did not meet expectations (no surprise, really).  But my understanding is that now everybody making notebooks from the stuff has figured out "buy the stationery paper" which means that the other FP UN-friendly papers are not on our radar.

The 68gsm apparently wasn't intended for stationery use but has been popular.  I'm not sure what the "68N" paper is intended for, but according to a now-removed blog post 68N is not their stationery recipe.Personally it's my favorite.  But it is a different texture and takes ink slightly differently than the 52gsm.  Apparently as part of the 2020 changes TR was going a 68gsm stationery paper, but I haven't seen anything more specific, or even a mention of a sighting.

3 hours ago, Modus Ponens said:

In case you haven't heard, Tomoe River 52gsm paper changed last year, without any change in the product description or code.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 1 month later...

I use my dot grid all the time, I love how the writing makes the dots disappear. And the paper makes the letters so nice and crisp