Scribo Feel

ralfstc

I have one, and it writes quite nicely. Still wish it would post.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MoriartyR

• tubular

• como

• djm1121

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven’t yet discovered a deal on this pen which would take it to the level of “give it a shot.”

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I am taking a very hard look at this Scribo, looking at the EF Flex. I have been searching and searching YouTube Video's on reviews of modern day Flex FP's until I find myself watching reruns. Some are fairly good and some are terrible. The fairly good reviews still reveal railroading sooner than I would like. I had seen a couple reviews, one from a popular Online Vendor that was reviewing the Aurora 88 Flex and it presented a lot more railroading for the asking price for that FP. Then I saw a another video from another reviewer who also had problems with the Aurora 88.  The reviewer ended up changing inks and it performed perfectly, so... I understand that Scribo was founded by the same folks who ran OMAS? Brought over a whole lot of 'know how', and machining. The bit I know about OMAS is that they had a descent reputation back in the day, even for their flex nibs? If I do take the plunge,  I would do so for the Nib alone. The esthetic's I believe could grow on me, as others in this thread have mentioned. My apologies for being so wordy in this post.

Edited by djm1121

One thing to note, is if you watch any of the old official OMAS videos on flex writing, the calligrapher they use writes very slowly, and this is the key to continued flow (well along with lots and lots of practice).

As a left-handed side-writer I’m not particularly interested in flex writing and I don’t push the nib at all, so I’ve no idea whether it can railroad or not, although the ink flow is certainly wet. I don’t really like the idea of pressing hard on a fountain pen nib anyway. It would feel like abuse to me, even if the nib is capable of doing it. I couldn’t comment on how the Scribo nib would perform in this circumstance.

Personally, I love this nib for its soft and springy feel. Line variation is certainly available with just a touch of weight and no effort, but the nib is not difficult to use for regular writing. I mostly just write normally and it gives a consistent but wet extra-fine line. For me it’s pretty much an ideal set-up but I also love my Sailor nibs equally for the feel they give me - just in a different way.

By the way, I have now received my second Scribo Feel (Foglio) also with 14k EF nib and the performance is identical to the first one. It suggests that there is some decent consistency and quality control at Scribo. By contrast it would be remarkable luck to get two Pelikans via mail order with identical performing nibs, in my experience. They really are making a nice product at Scribo.

• 1 month later...

I too have been interested in this pen, chiefly for the nib.  I have held back because the color I liked best (Foglia) was sold out.  Now, however, a new color has appeared--two, actually, but only one of them appeals to me.  The photography, which is dominated by reflective glare, does it no favors.  But I suspect the Fiorita will be very beautiful.

What a shame that I don't deserve a new pen!

Edited by tubular
Typo.

20 hours ago, tubular said:

I too have been interested in this pen, chiefly for the nib.  I have held back because the color I liked best (Foglia) was sold out.  Now, however, a new color has appeared--two, actually, but only one of them appeals to me.  The photography, which is dominated by reflective glare, does it no favors.  But I suspect the Fiorita will be very beautiful.

I too like the look of the new Fiorita. I asked Scribo about it and they said it is hard to photograph this acrylic but the base colour is a very dark mixture of purple and green (not black or charcoal as I had thought), and it has lighter purple and green chips mixed in. I have the Foglia and it is also nice, but I think I am going to like the Fiorita even more.

My favourite of their pens so far - in the flesh rather than photos - is the Grigio Notte (slightly translucent, swirly grey with the dark ruthenium coated nib and trim). And somehow my Grigio Notte 14k nib is a bit more flexible than the others I have - maybe the coating has some effect or maybe it is just a normal variation, but it behaves almost like a brush when I apply a little pressure. I also like the unlimited, plain Grey-Blue pen a lot. It is more businesslike but with some Italian style, reminiscent to me of a good Italian linen suit.

7 hours ago, MoriartyR said:

My favourite of their pens so far - in the flesh rather than photos - is the Grigio Notte (slightly translucent, swirly grey with the dark ruthenium coated nib and trim). And somehow my Grigio Notte 14k nib is a bit more flexible than the others I have - maybe the coating has some effect or maybe it is just a normal variation, but it behaves almost like a brush when I apply a little pressure. I also like the unlimited, plain Grey-Blue pen a lot. It is more businesslike but with some Italian style, reminiscent to me of a good Italian linen suit.

They are both attractive in very different ways, though the gray-blue puts me in mind of a Subaru.  If the Grigio Notte's nib were not dark it might be among my first choices--I am not convinced the coating will wear well.

What you say of the brush-like feel of your Grigio Notte's nib is interesting. 

Edited by tubular

• 3 weeks later...

I received my Scribo Feel Fiorita this morning (with 14k EF flex nib). As with my others the writing performance is very good and reliable out of the box - smooth, expressive, ample ink flow, and with a genuine extra fine line. Suitable for everyday use but with easily controlled and wide line variation as desired.

In person, I think this acrylic looks rather like dark green marble. I like it. To me it looks classic and refined.

B46CED6B-ADEC-4065-A569-58AADB4AB7AE

8AC13199-CF14-48C2-996E-4498A0026E78.jpeg

32 minutes ago, tubular said:

I am so glad you posted these photos, MoriartyR.   To me looking at the pen is like looking at blossoms under dark water.  Gorgeous.

Ah, that’s a much better description. And rather poetic.

The model name, ‘fiorita’ means ‘flowery’, I believe.

25 minutes ago, MoriartyR said:

Ah, that’s a much better description. And rather poetic.

The model name, ‘fiorita’ means ‘flowery’, I believe.

Beautiful finish with the purple and green set in dark background (is it black?). Congratulations and enjoy your pen! 

I asked the nice people at Scribo and they say the base material is a very dark green/purple mixture.

I’m not totally sure what colour a green/purple mixture is. It might be black.

11 hours ago, tubular said:

So much for self-restraint.  I had been waiting for my birthday to order it, but it is already out of stock.  That was quick!

Wow. Just checked Scribo’s website and you’re right. But there should be models in stock at retailers soon and I’m sure you will be able to get one. Fontoplumo and Stiloestile websites both say they expect them to arrive in a few days, and you can set up an email notification. Those retailers are reliable with their stock records and they did not sell pre-orders for this pen. If you think retailers will sell out fast then the email notification from these sites gives you the best chance.

I think this must be the first time Scribo has sold out of a pen on day one - before it has even arrived with retailers. The Fiorita is a limited edition of 219 so that’s great news for them.

12 hours ago, tubular said:

So much for self-restraint.  I had been waiting for my birthday to order it, but it is already out of stock.  That was quick!

Anyone who has endured a LONG wait for a pen (for example Conid) deserves to buy a pen right away 😏!

Thank you, MoriartyR and Como.  It is possible that I will have a Fiorita after all.  I wrote last night to Scribo asking whether there might be more of this pen coming, and they answered this morning, saying they had (at the time of their writing, while I was still asleep) two left over.  I put in an order as soon as I saw their email.  I am not sure whether the order went through in time, but I think I should know tomorrow.

Which 14k nib size would show the greatest line width variation? I am guessing the EF? Getting super close on pulling the trigger, if I can find one. So far, seems like eBay has a listed variety.

1 hour ago, djm1121 said:

Which 14k nib size would show the greatest line width variation? I am guessing the EF? Getting super close on pulling the trigger, if I can find one. So far, seems like eBay has a listed variety.

Yes, the EF will show the most variation.

Well, I finally pulled the trigger. Alas, I found a Scribo Extra Fine 14k Flex, the Mediterraneo. Not the prettiest girl at the dance but it's all about the Nib. Should be here by mid week.