Lamy Forecast 2019

Astronymus

No sign of the mystery-brown LX in that video, only bronze Al-Star. I already have a coffee brown Al-Star, which I like, and I wouldn't mind a warmer brown version as shown on the promotional renders linked earlier

img_2834-1.jpg?w=1200&h=

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• Intensity

• Glenn-SC

• inkstainedruth

I'm still bothered by the fact, that it hasn't any reference to precious metal. Something that was the point of the Lx-Series.

I wouldn't call it minor if it is a thing that defines a pen series. :lol:

Does it define the series though?

The first four are precious metal-themed, but theres nothing specifying the LX range as strictly metal themed. The page just says The LAMY Lx is a stylish, modern writing instrument with that something special. A functional and elegant companion. Made of aluminium, it features stylish details refined with precious metal and a sophisticated anodised finish.

Edited by Inkysloth

Instagram @inkysloth

Made of aluminium, it features stylish details refined with precious metal and a sophisticated anodised finish.

Uhm, did you try to convince me otherwise? :lol:

Is it possible that the brown color on that pamphlet is NOT showing a new color of LX series but is rather a color used to represent the whole series that's distinct from each individual pen? I.e. this could simply be a color they chose for the marketing booklet, not implying any new LX issue. LX itself is a "special edition" of Al-Star.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Uhm, did you try to convince me otherwise? :lol:

Maybe its my interpretation, but I thought that was referring to the different metal platings on the clip rather the pen as a whole.

Instagram @inkysloth

It's called the Lx Coffee. It's official.

Oh I've overlooked that. Well, something to look forward to. If it's sufficiently different from the Al-Star Coffee, I'll get one.

Maybe its my interpretation, but I thought that was referring to the different metal platings on the clip rather the pen as a whole.

Maybe. I don't know if it is possible to include for example real gold into the anodizing process for these pens. Though it is possible to get a color by pigments or other metals. The details are plated for sure.

Oh I've overlooked that. Well, something to look forward to. If it's sufficiently different from the Al-Star Coffee, I'll get one.

Yeah, that pen already is named coffee. The 2019 AL-Star is bronze and looks like polished bronze. But the Lx, all former models named after precious metal, is named coffee - seems to look like bronze patina. All this doesn't make any sense. :rolleyes:

Or... if you wait an AL-Star bronze will oxidize, the logo will pop out and you'll have a Lx after you rubbed the fake chrome and plastic coatings of the other parts off. :lticaptd:

Edited by Astron

It's a fountain pen; not a cancer cure or pollution-less free energy.

It's a fountain pen.

So yes, the actual color of a pen versus the rest of the series is pretty minor.

Edited by Glenn-SC

Or... if you wait an AL-Star bronze will oxidize, the logo will pop out and you'll have a Lx after you rubbed the fake chrome and plastic coatings of the other parts off. :lticaptd:

To be technically precise, anodized aluminum IS already an oxidized, hard and porous surface layer on raw aluminum after said aluminum takes a long comfy bath in acid and some electric current. The different colors are simply dyes that enter the porous layer with a dip into a dye solution. The porous surface is then sealed by dipping an anodized and dyed part into a sealing solution. Base color of anodized aluminum is various shades of silver-gray, depending on the thickness of the anodized layer and base aluminum alloy composition.

It's a fountain pen; not a cancer cure or pollution-less free energy.

It's a fountain pen.

So yes, the actual color of a pen versus the rest of the series is pretty minor.

You've gone too far. There will be a petition for you being banned from this forum. :P

To be technically precise, anodized aluminum IS already an oxidized, [...]

I know. I deal with it on a daily basis. I was just being silly. ;)

Edited by Astron

LX is simply "Luxe" or "Deluxe". Lamy went for Apple's flavor of the month in anodizing color to match the "higher end" tech accessories like iPhones: rose gold -> rose gold, champagne gold -> gold, space gray -> ruthenium, silver -> palladium. It's a common color trend in almost everything nowadays: Apple decided it was cool, therefore it became cool in popular culture. Doesn't mean that LX is always going to have a metal-named theme.

This is the actual description Lamy gives to the LX pens:

"The LAMY Lx is a stylish, modern writing instrument with that “something special”. A functional and elegant companion. Made of aluminium, it features stylish details refined with precious metal and a sophisticated anodised finish. With distinct, spring-loaded and refined metal clip and transparent grip. Glossy black steel nib. "

Nothing about dedicating the line to the theme of metals. It's nothing more than Al-Star with different nib finish (different type of black coating and an additional line around the slit), and matched metallic finish clip and ends, in more sophisticated, trendy colors.

Doesn't LX also have a case? Or was that just the first group?

Yes, it comes with an aluminum tube case. I promptly forgot about those after putting mine in storage along with the rest of the packaging! Pretty to look at but not very practical.

Yes, bummer about those cases for LX series; basically worthless eye candy. I had three of them floating around for a year or two and could NOT find a single useful reason to keep them. Finally threw them away or recycled or something. So much less clutter.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Just read in a German forum that the Lx coffee will come out in September.