Sheaffer's Old Ads Photo Thread

Lazard 20

Wow! This is very interesting thread! A lot of useful for me. Thanks so much!

I have more than a 100 original Sheaffer ads from different years in my collection.

You can find an infinite number on the internet. Real ones are another story. (Привет россиянам! В инете неограниченное количество таких реклам, но коллекционировать старые журналы--уже другое дело!)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lazard 20

• PenHero

• rff000

• RedRinger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A curious Sheaffer´S ad containing balanced as attribute and concept* (5 years before Sheaffer´S balanced shape) plagiarized to Parker; apparently trying to appropriate for themselves the formidable and millionaire advertising campaign of Parker with his balanced Duofold from 1922 onwards. Sheaffer continued using the concept copied to Parker's** ad campaign during part of the decade.

(*) Now and here I am talking about the concept and attribute of a balanced fountain pen and not about later S'S Balance shape and silhouette that we will leave for another day.

(**) Although Houston Pen since 1910 already used this concept and word in Pendom.

I'm not following you. Are you saying Sheaffer plagiarized Parker? What is the evidence for this? Any manufacturer could reasonably say their pen is balanced without any reference to Parker or anyone else.

I'm not following you. Are you saying Sheaffer plagiarized Parker? What is the evidence for this? Any manufacturer could reasonably say their pen is balanced without any reference to Parker or anyone else.

I was trying to make known for the less initiated in pen ads that the concept of a balanced fountain pen belongs to the industry (so already I cited Houston Pen from 1910 so that nobody could understand that I said that Parker created it) long before Sheaffer present their Balanced and that Duofolds were already balanced in the early 20 and that Duofold´s campaign stand out a balanced Duofold in a very expensive and successful campaign of great diffusion and that any other brand would take advantage of this how it really happened and many other manufacturers in the 20s, not only Sheaffer´S, they added this feature to their ads. I was talking about advertising history and who initiated the massive diffusion of balanced as a feature in a fountain pen: that the concept "fountain pen balanced" after the Duofolds became much more popular in ads is a evidence and does not need explanation.

Edited by RamonCampos

I think this composition either (I'm sorry for the watermark, but it's a private wallpaper):

fpn_1547500563__poster_on_land_or_sea_ma

Edited by RamonCampos

I think you will not see these ones on the internet either...until today.

fpn_1547500749__1910_10_09_the_silent_pi

fpn_1547501199__1909_11_14_mammoth_closi

Sheaffer and Saunders (Sheaffer Jewelry and Music Co.) were brothers-in-law - (they were both married to two Davis sisters) Walter and Saunders were friends from young people in Bloomfield where, among other entertainment, they organized ballroom dancing and they sent invitation like this one ...(will be continued)

Edited by RamonCampos

Balanced is, and has been part of our language and concepts for a very long time. When someone pushes an argument or focuses too hard on something, we say that they are, or their argument is, unbalanced. When something feels good, neither too heavy nor too light, tilts neither one direction or another, its properly balanced. Given that it is so much a part of the culture, I'm not sure that you can ascribe that to Parker as the first to use the term, unless you can demonstrate that no others did in advertising, prior to that date.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Balanced is, and has been part of our language and concepts for a very long time.

Hi, I agree as well I have already explained it so I think you should understand that I am not refering to the word balanced but to its application to a fountain pens. On the other hand I have already explained since my first post that was not Parker who used it for the first time aplicated to a pen but was the first announcing it massively and in a very expensive advertising campaign incomparable to date.

As for Parker applied before Sheaffer and massively the balanced concept here you have at food of this post a good proof in Parker ads (in all of them Parker highlights the balanced characteristic of their Duofold) years before the massive disclosure of Sheaffer Balanced. It is the simple observation of a fact and the opinions belong to each one and I just think that Sheaffer had it closest and previously publicized so S´S could have "to take" it from Parker to compete and overcome them -the rival pen is balanced; mine is better; is Balanced with beautiful silhouette!!!, could S´S publicist have thought-. This is mine opinion and I transmit it for those who consider it, the use of the adjective balanced in Pendom, as curiosity or interest as well I admit that each one has its own opinions without need for us to be compelled to dispute them.

The Balanced Parker Duofold (click here)

Edited by RamonCampos

When doing research I find it is always helpful to include source and date of any data used.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

When doing research I find it is always helpful to include source and date of any data used.

Alternatively.....

'I don't know what you mean by "[source]",' Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. 'Of course you don't — till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!"'

'But "[source]" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument",' Alice objected.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them — particularly verbs: they're the proudest — adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs — however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!'

'Would you tell me please,' said Alice, 'what that means?'

'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'

'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone.

'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always pay it extra.'

William Shakespeare, The Real Inspector Hound

Alternatively.....

'I don't know what you mean by "[source]",' Alice said.[/size]

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. 'Of course you don't — till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!"'

'But "[source]" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument",' Alice objected.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them — particularly verbs: they're the proudest — adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs — however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!'

'Would you tell me please,' said Alice, 'what that means?'

'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'

'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone.

'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always pay it extra.'

William Shakespeare, The Real Inspector Hound

I think we agree, to simplify; How about including bibliographic information for the ads and catalog scans presented

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I think we agree, to simplify; How about including bibliographic information for the ads and catalog scans presented

We do agree. Entirely! And I graciously included an inaccurate bibliographic citation for the work I used, to emphasize the point!

However, I'll leave the creation of citations for the works you mention to the OP.

As an academic who reads and marks hundreds and hundreds of research papers, and one who teaches Advanced Research Methods to undergraduate and graduate students, I'm only too aware of how "helpful" it is to include proper citations. Sadly, the absurdity Carroll illustrates through Humpty Dumpty's words and arguments is an endless battle.

We do agree. Entirely! And I graciously included an inaccurate bibliographic citation for the work I used, to emphasize the point!

However, I'll leave the creation of citations for the works you mention to the OP.

As an academic who reads and marks hundreds and hundreds of research papers, and one who teaches Advanced Research Methods to undergraduate and graduate students, I'm only too aware of how "helpful" it is to include proper citations. Sadly, the absurdity Carroll illustrates through Humpty Dumpty's words and arguments is an endless battle.

Well as long as you're not citing Harry Q. Bovik.... ;)

Why is this discussion reminding me of the story my mom told me about when she was in college? The professor told the class to read the material thoroughly -- and then gave a quiz on the FOOTNOTES.... B)

It's also making me think of this (as is the thread about Craig pens):

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hi, I agree as well I have already explained it so I think you should understand that I am not refering to the word balanced but to its application to a fountain pens. On the other hand I have already explained since my first post that was not Parker who used it for the first time aplicated to a pen but was the first announcing it massively and in a very expensive advertising campaign incomparable to date.

As for Parker applied before Sheaffer and massively the balanced concept here you have at food of this post a good proof in Parker ads (in all of them Parker highlights the balanced characteristic of their Duofold) years before the massive disclosure of Sheaffer Balanced. It is the simple observation of a fact and the opinions belong to each one and I just think that Sheaffer had it closest and previously publicized so S´S could have "to take" it from Parker to compete and overcome them -the rival pen is balanced; mine is better; is Balanced with beautiful silhouette!!!, could S´S publicist have thought-. This is mine opinion and I transmit it for those who consider it, the use of the adjective balanced in Pendom, as curiosity or interest as well I admit that each one has its own opinions without need for us to be compelled to dispute them.

The Balanced Parker Duofold (click here)

You have not answered the original question, quoting your earlier post, "plagiarized to Parker; apparently trying to appropriate for themselves the formidable and millionaire advertising campaign of Parker with his balanced Duofold from 1922 onwards. Sheaffer continued using the concept copied to Parker's** ad campaign during part of the decade"

You are making the accusation that Sheaffer plagiarized Parker advertisements in order to ride Parker's ad spend. Plagiarized is a very strong statement. Plagiarization would need to involve lifting entire passages from ad copy. On what evidence beyond the use of the word balance? There isn't any. This a correlational fallacy based on one word.

It's great to frame something like this as a question and create a discussion. That is how we learn. We encourage you to do that. But you are posting as if this is a fact.

Please don't make broad pronouncements like this unless you have research and evidence to back it up.

All - I moved an unrelated post out of the thread and into the Craig thread.

Let's get back to the topic, which is Sheaffer ads.

I have scanned over 100 Sheaffer ads and you can download them for free at this link:

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferAds01.htm

Thanks!

All - I moved an unrelated post out of the thread and into the Craig thread.

Let's get back to the topic, which is Sheaffer ads.

I have scanned over 100 Sheaffer ads and you can download them for free at this link:

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferAds01.htm

Thanks!

Jim-- These are truly a wonderful reference and a beautiful resource to browse.

Thanks so much!

Matt