Pilot #10 Vs. #15 Nibs - Functional Differences?

Jo-kanuck

Hi Network,

I'm torn between the Pilot Custom 912 and the Pilot Custom 743. My main consideration is the nib, as I plan to do a lot of writing with whatever I get.

I've decided on a SF (soft fine) nib but am not sure whether the size difference (#10 in 912 and #15 in 743) makes enough of a difference to warrant the big price jump from 912 to 743.

Anyone out there who may be able to shed some light on the practical differences between these two nib sizes?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nibtip

• steve50

• Honeybadgers

• Jo-kanuck

I can compare a custom heritage 92 medium a custom 912 medium and a 823 medium.

Can't explain why but the 823 is way better than the two former. Maybe size matters after all.

King of pen is also better than 21k pro gear.

Let's say that all this is "kinaesthetic" and subjective as Smug dill noted in another topic.

When I switch from a big nib to a very small one, it feels somewhat awkward at first because the writing angle changes. But I quickly then get used to it. So I think the price difference is simply a marketing tactic. There'll be no difference in terms of how the nib performs.

Between 74 and 742, it might make sense to get the latter if your hands are big, because there's some substantial difference in size. But 742 and 743 are identical except for the thicker metal bands which have nothing to do with performance.

My mileage varies all over the place on this issue.

Assuming proper nib alignment, good paper and ink, etc.:

Pilot #15 better than Pilot #10, but not by much.

Sailor KOP M better than Sailor 1911L 21k, better than Sailor 1911S 14k

Montblanc 146 better than Montblanc 149

Pelikan M600 better than Pelikan M1000, better than Pelikan M800

I believe most of these differences are due to ergonomics, i.e., balance, weight, section diameter, writing angle, rather than the quality of the nib itself. Another writer might find exactly the opposite. Sometimes the larger nib may write better for you, but not always. Go figure!

This is why I like to attend pen club meetings and pen shows, where I can get my hands on a pen I might be interested in to see how it feels before buying it.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I prefer the #15 to the #5. I don't have any Pilot #10 nibs so no idea if there is much difference.

I don't agree the Pelikan M600 is a better nib then the M800, but they are both good nibs. My MB 149 is softer then my 146 but don't like it better or worse.

Sorry I'm not much help to the OP about 15 vs 10.

Okay, Jo-Januck. I have a Pilot Custom 845 fitted with a Pilot #15 FA nib, a Pilot Custom 912 fitted with a Pilot #10 SF nib, and a Pilot Custom 912 fitted with a Pilot #10 FA nib. I do not have the Pilot Custom 743 pen. All three nibs are nice writers and have some flex.

The #15 FA nib is 2mm longer than the #10 nibs. To me this makes a difference and I had to get used to writing with this nib by holding the pen section very close to the nib end for a comfortable writing experience. Now I enjoy this #15 more than the #10s. The nib lays down 0.3mm line with no pressure. With flex I can get 0.6mm line width for short strokes, then railroading sets in.

My Pilot #10 SF nib lays down a 0.35 line width with no pressure and is a relatively smooth writer. More pressure is needed to flex the #10 nib than the #15 nib. I like the #10 FA nib least of all, too much railroading.

I hope this provides you with a bit more information. Good luck on your choice. Pete

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man

that he does not know until he takes up his pen to write.

Thackeray