Can The 10000 Word Pen Really Write That Much? Merry Christmas!

RedRinger

Hello everyone!

I have recently fallen in love with the Parker-Eversharp 10,000 Word Pen, which I think is so odd-looking it's beautiful -- it's like the Edsel of pens! At any rate, I wondered if the claim was true, and how to test it. I obtained some original cartridges, and then was so excited at the fact that I could buy some of the original Quink with Solv-X. The chemist in me is still fascinated by what Solv-X could actually be. I have one pen that came to me with cartridge attached and still with fluid, useable ink. It's just incredible to me that a product like ink could last so many decades, and still be useful and beautiful. "Does not dry in the pen" indeed -- one claim proved true from the outset! Anyone else with "historic ink" they like to use?

Given this festive time of year, and the ability to count words quickly with a computer program, I selected 10,000 words of Dickens's _A Christmas Carol_ (all of Stave One, a little of Stave Three, and all of Stave Five) and decided to write a "love letter to Christmas," as it were.

The pen was ready, the Quink took some filtering and dilution (with discovery of an incredibly pretty crystal! Solv-X? or just pigment?), and I set aside paper and time. Several beautiful nights teary-eyed at the beauty of Dickens's writing later, I had written 10,000 words with the namesake pen, and I still had more than 1/4 cartridge of ink left. Photos provided to prove all this, naturally-- I'm certain my micrographic printing helped, but also I think Dickens's writing has a disproportionate number of Very Long Words, so perhaps that balanced toward the other side of actual writing line length. (Pages are written double-sided)

Merry Christmas to all, and God Bless Us, Every One!

Matt

fpn_1545584628__10000wordquink-1.jpg

fpn_1545584646__10000wordquink-2.jpg

fpn_1545584656__10000wordquink-3.jpg

fpn_1545584695__10000wordquink-4.jpg

fpn_1545584711__10000wordquink-5.jpg

fpn_1545584724__10000wordquink-6.jpg

fpn_1545584737__10000wordquink-7.jpg

fpn_1545584749__10000wordquink-8.jpg

fpn_1545584763__10000wordquink-9.jpg

fpn_1545584778__10000wordquink-10.jpg

fpn_1545584793__10000wordquink-11.jpg

fpn_1545584805__10000wordquink-12.jpg

Edited by RedRinger

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RedRinger

• Joane

• ItsMeDave

• nsalvut

Top Posters In This Topic

That's incredible! And the crystal is gorgeous. I wonder what it's made of. Maybe you can take it to your lab and find out haha.

Thanks! It is so pretty...I figured I could possibly dissolve some of it but didn't want to ruin it. Maybe someone would put it in an x-ray diffractometer for me!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!

Matt

Very cool test and great dedication on your part! Ready for a second challenge? :) The Fisher Infinium Space Pen "writes three times longer than an ordinary ball point pen. This Infinium Space Pen will write so long in fact, that the average user won't run out of ink in their lifetime"

FPINF.jpg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Very cool test and great dedication on your part! Ready for a second challenge? :) The Fisher Infinium Space Pen "writes three times longer than an ordinary ball point pen. This Infinium Space Pen will write so long in fact, that the average user won't run out of ink in their lifetime"

Haha, i'll get right on that, Dave -- let you know when I'm done! :lol:

that's a fun test. 10k words is impressive as hell for an ink cartridge.

No kidding! And not even the whole cartridge! I would be it has another 4-5k left in it still. I had thought about just continuing to see how much more I could get out of it, but my hand has been getting tired!

Impressive.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY