Affordable A5 Sized Notebook Covers

penzel_washinkton

Hi FPN Community Members,

I would like to get straight to the point here, do you have reference to notebook cases that is quite affordable?

My price range is $10 - $20. I understand that maybe genuine leather might be out of reach at that price point but could you guys point me to some items in the price range?

Preferably that ships to South East Asia, thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• Karmachanic

• nibtip

• Lomi

I really like the Kokuyo Systemic A5. There are two versions: a bifold and a trifold. I have both. They are with your price range. There are videos on the net on how to use.

I've found reasonably priced, sufficiently good quality leather on aliexpress.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I really like the Kokuyo Systemic A5. There are two versions: a bifold and a trifold. I have both. They are with your price range. There are videos on the net on how to use.

Actually, I have the option to buy this locally in my region, how's your experience with it?

It looks interesting and is selling for about $20 ish here with a couple of color options

you are looking for cover for hardcover notebooks with tight fit? or for softcover a5 like traveler's notebook? because if second i have an option.

I am actually open to both types as long as they are durable so please do share your recommendation

I've found reasonably priced, sufficiently good quality leather on aliexpress.

Could you provide links? Leather is a plus for me at that point knowing that most of them goes above $40

Very nice! How is the durability on these paper covers?

Thank you for all the recommendations.

Actually, I have the option to buy this locally in my region, how's your experience with it?

It looks interesting and is selling for about $20 ish here with a couple of color options

I am actually open to both types as long as they are durable so please do share your recommendation

Could you provide links? Leather is a plus for me at that point knowing that most of them goes above $40

Very nice! How is the durability on these paper covers?

Thank you for all the recommendations.

Bound for years. Slightly tarnished over the months if carried around every day in your bag or when you accidently spill ink on it. But those are supposed to embellish the cover according to Japanese tradition.

oh ic, cool

i'm not a fan of providing links that might go dead in the future and to make someone think that i'm advertising or getting something from it but i guess today i'll break my rule for the good ><

so here my suggestion (if ofc you are not minding china products) https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/100/32853556839.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.274233edM2HZfe this notebook i recieved myself earlier last month, the price is a little but higher than 20$ but considering what you getting in addition with cover i guess it's fair, you can ask to send you specific insert (choose from 4 for A5 size) i got mine in coffee color with 3 blank inserts and i love it since then.

i guess there alot of other products that you might look for, especially in this thread, but this was the one that i wanted to recommend because i have it on hands, and as far as my research on this topic went - most A5 covers and notebooks from leather starts atleast at around 20$, smaller sizes ofc go for less, but all A5 for less than 15-20 is PU leather for sure.(only ali applicable, not talking about whole internet)

Edited by Lomarion

I have an A6 version of this on my Hobonichi. Been using it for a year. Looks good as new. It will go on my 2019 Hobonichi. It's very nice for minimalism - some pens in the front, some cards inside. I wrote a "First Impressions" post here on FPN: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/329215-first-impression-a6-kokuyo-systemic-notebook-cover-image-heavy/?hl=kokuyo

That Midori looks really (really) good for what it is. But, personally, if I was going the paper cover route I would just start with a paper grocery bag.

But I'd love to know more about anything special about the paper in the Midori cover. Is it extra durable because of Japanese paper knowledge, or do the treat it with something?

Bound for years. Slightly tarnished over the months if carried around every day in your bag or when you accidently spill ink on it. But those are supposed to embellish the cover according to Japanese tradition.

That is good to hear, knowing that the material of the cover itself is actually paper.

oh ic, cool

i'm not a fan of providing links that might go dead in the future and to make someone think that i'm advertising or getting something from it but i guess today i'll break my rule for the good ><

so here my suggestion (if ofc you are not minding china products) https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/100/32853556839.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.274233edM2HZfe this notebook i recieved myself earlier last month, the price is a little but higher than 20$ but considering what you getting in addition with cover i guess it's fair, you can ask to send you specific insert (choose from 4 for A5 size) i got mine in coffee color with 3 blank inserts and i love it since then.

i guess there alot of other products that you might look for, especially in this thread, but this was the one that i wanted to recommend because i have it on hands, and as far as my research on this topic went - most A5 covers and notebooks from leather starts atleast at around 20$, smaller sizes ofc go for less, but all A5 for less than 15-20 is PU leather for sure.(only ali applicable, not talking about whole internet)

Much appreciated for breaking your rules just for this recommendation. I know, so many excellent recommendations where previously I would not have known and honestly much more than I expected.

Thanks!

I might just buy more than one if the recommendation varies like this.

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

Could this be used with a Rhodia Webnotebook? Would it cover the webbie when closed?

Thanks!

Dunno! Not familiar with Rhodia products. It's the same size as the Gfeller A5 that Nanami sells for the Crossfield, which is 14mm thick. At 30% of the cost.

Hope this helps

Amazon says the webbie is .8 in (20.3 mm). Thanks for the info.

C

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

Amazon says the webbie is .8 in (20.3 mm). Thanks for the info.

C

I looked them up. Hardcover, which probably accounts for the extra width.

I only put covers on soft journal. Mainly beacause I only purchase soft journals :P

That Midori looks really (really) good for what it is. But, personally, if I was going the paper cover route I would just start with a paper grocery bag.

But I'd love to know more about anything special about the paper in the Midori cover. Is it extra durable because of Japanese paper knowledge, or do the treat it with something?

Midori calls it Cordoba paper. The closest thing I can compare it to is the paper that jeans labels are made of—tough and difficult to tear/rip.

Got myself a Lihit Lab Smart Fit A5 Notebook Cover. Takes both. Books and writing pads.

Is the Lihit Lab ring binded or it only comes with a ring binded book?