Which Conid? Regular Vs Kingsize

siddr90

Hi all,

I am really tempted to buy a Conid after reading so many positives about the brand - and I only want to buy one of their models.

But I am torn between the regular demonstrator vs kingsize demonstrator.

I plan to buy the pen with a BB gold nib and a M titanium nib.

Any thoughts / experience in using the 2 pens? Appreciate your thoughts on which one you prefer and why.

As a reference, my daily pens are-

- Pilot Yukari Meiji Maru - M nib

- Montblanc 1912 - B nib

- TWSBI 580 ALR - M nib

- Pilot E95s - F nib

Cheers,

Sidd

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siddr90

• mauckcg

• Karmachanic

• Mulrich

The writing experience will be nearly identical between the two (the #8 nib on the Kingsize might be a tad softer but there's enough variability in nibs that you probably shouldn't rely on this difference in your decision making) so I think the decision just comes down to how girthy you like your pens.

Your daily pens are probably more similar to the Regular so that may be your best option (unless you're looking for a bigger pen).

I like the size of the Kingsize more than the Regular but the nib on my Regular is really terrific (the Kingsize nib is also really good, I just like the titanium a hair more).

I have both. Both use Bock nibs, Regular uses #6, Kingsize #8. Other than the physical dimensions the pens operate the same and the writing experience is essentially the same.

Everything you have seems to be around the size of the Regular. The Regular is a hair lighter and a hair shorter then a 580.

If you prefer the 580 size pens then go right ahead and get a regular with as many nibs as you can get. if you want a larger pen, the Kingsize will serve you well.

As long as I'm spending your money - Kingsize! I find the Regular aesthetically displeasing. Minimalistica floats my boat.

+1 on mauckcg's comment re many nibs. About to order my fifth.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

The writing experience will be nearly identical between the two (the #8 nib on the Kingsize might be a tad softer but there's enough variability in nibs that you probably shouldn't rely on this difference in your decision making) so I think the decision just comes down to how girthy you like your pens.

Your daily pens are probably more similar to the Regular so that may be your best option (unless you're looking for a bigger pen).

I like the size of the Kingsize more than the Regular but the nib on my Regular is really terrific (the Kingsize nib is also really good, I just like the titanium a hair more).

Thanks Mulrich. In terms of liking the size of Kingsize, do you prefer the girth of the section? or is the overall size of it?

Also curious to know what are your other daily pens?

As long as I'm spending your money - Kingsize! I find the Regular aesthetically displeasing. Minimalistica floats my boat.

+1 on mauckcg's comment re many nibs. About to order my fifth.

How would you compare the Minimislistica and the Kingsize?

How would you compare the Minimislistica and the Kingsize?

The Minimalistica is close to the Regular in size and weight - 26g. Same ink capacity - 2.5ml. Cleaner lines. Same #6 nib size. Steel/Ti/Gold.Simpler design.

Kingsize is twice the price, 15gb heavier - 40g, gold and Titanium nib (#8). 3 ml capacity

Poke around on this page to compare: https://www.conidpen.com/shop/page/2/

Thanks Mulrich. In terms of liking the size of Kingsize, do you prefer the girth of the section? or is the overall size of it?

Also curious to know what are your other daily pens?

I prefer the overall size of the Kingsize (girth included). I rotate through ~70 pens so I dont really have a daily pen (I keep 2-3 inked at a time). Most of them would be considered larger size (eg M800) but I have a wide range of everything.

And Ill concur with the Minimalistica recommendation over the Regular from an atheistic standpoint. Theyre about the same size but the Minimalistica feels better in the hand. This could be based on the material of my pens (my Regular is plastic and Minimalistica is delrin). If the Minimalistica has an ink window itd probably be one of my top overall pens (its still great).

Edited by Mulrich

A colleague and fellow-FPN member has two Conids that I've tried on occasion, one is a demonstrator and one the FPN model. My impression is that in terms of construction, durability etc there's no other pen on the market that offers this degree of quality. You could derail a train with these things. It's like stepping from a Fiat in a Mercedes - both are fine, both will get you there, but the Merc is obviously a big step in terms of, well, everything. In terms of *writing*, however, I was not impressed with those Conids. The demonstrator had a stock nib and it just wasn't my thing, I didn't like the kind of feedback it offered. I'm sure it's just personal taste but I found the nib unpleasant. The nib of the FPN pen was fully personalized to suit its owner, so I can't really comment on that one.

Long story short, a Conid will probably buy you the best pen ever but you might have to have the nib tuned to your preference.

The Minimalistica is close to the Regular in size and weight - 26g. Same ink capacity - 2.5ml. Cleaner lines. Same #6 nib size. Steel/Ti/Gold.Simpler design.

Kingsize is twice the price, 15gb heavier - 40g, gold and Titanium nib (#8). 3 ml capacity

Poke around on this page to compare: https://www.conidpen.com/shop/page/2/

Thanks - I almost got the Minimalistica but thought to reconsider because I like the titanium knobs on the Kingsize, although it doesn't affect the practical writing experience!

I prefer the overall size of the Kingsize (girth included). I rotate through ~70 pens so I dont really have a daily pen (I keep 2-3 inked at a time). Most of them would be considered larger size (eg M800) but I have a wide range of everything.

And Ill concur with the Minimalistica recommendation over the Regular from an atheistic standpoint. Theyre about the same size but the Minimalistica feels better in the hand. This could be based on the material of my pens (my Regular is plastic and Minimalistica is delrin). If the Minimalistica has an ink window itd probably be one of my top overall pens (its still great).

Yeah I agree the Minimalistica is more pleasing from an aesthetics view. But I also find it very similar to the Lamy 2000 which I consider a drawback personally as I also have the Lamy

My primary concern with the Kingsize is the weight - I tend to find the MB 1912 a bit heavy for long writing sessions (although the 1912 is almost 8-9 grams heavier uncapped)

Glad to hear you do enjoy all 3 models by Conid!

A colleague and fellow-FPN member has two Conids that I've tried on occasion, one is a demonstrator and one the FPN model. My impression is that in terms of construction, durability etc there's no other pen on the market that offers this degree of quality. You could derail a train with these things. It's like stepping from a Fiat in a Mercedes - both are fine, both will get you there, but the Merc is obviously a big step in terms of, well, everything. In terms of *writing*, however, I was not impressed with those Conids. The demonstrator had a stock nib and it just wasn't my thing, I didn't like the kind of feedback it offered. I'm sure it's just personal taste but I found the nib unpleasant. The nib of the FPN pen was fully personalized to suit its owner, so I can't really comment on that one.

Long story short, a Conid will probably buy you the best pen ever but you might have to have the nib tuned to your preference.

Thanks for sharing that, just to confirm - was the stock nib steel or titanium?

Yeah I agree the Minimalistica is more pleasing from an aesthetics view. But I also find it very similar to the Lamy 2000 which I consider a drawback personally as I also have the Lamy

Thanks for sharing that, just to confirm - was the stock nib steel or titanium?

My Lamy 2000 has rarely made the rotation since I got the Minimalistica. The Lamy is a good pen but the Conid is a great pen.

I have titanium nibs on the Minimalistica and Regular and a gold nib on the Kingsize.

Very happy with the three cursive italic Ti nibs for the Minimaistica. Rarely use the two steel nibs. Love the softness. I do not, and will not try to 'flex' them.

Thank you all for the excellent insights into using Conid pens!

I'll take a chance and go with the Kingsize and hope I feel comfortable using a bigger pen than my regulars :)

I have several Conid: Kingsize (x3), Regular and Minimalistica.

I use the Regular least, and the Kingsize the most.

I prefer a girthy pen —and not only is the Regular less girthy but the tapered section really, really doesn’t work for me. In terms of width I feel like I’m gripping a #2 pencil when I use the Regular. And I have the delrin section which I find a little slippery so I’m constantly adjusting my grip.

In terms of low-weight, consider that the Minimalistica feels very light in my hands, even capped. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I love the Minimalistica. I often wonder had the Minimalistica been my first Conid, would I have purchased the others? (Because I’m so satisfied with the Minimalistica...)

And of my multiple Kingsize, I prefer the demonstrator with ebonite knob and cap. (Despite how cool the titanium knobs look.)

Frankly my demonstrator / ebonite / flat top Kingsize is almost certainly the pen I most use out of my entire collection.

I have several Conid: Kingsize (x3), Regular and Minimalistica.

I use the Regular least, and the Kingsize the most.

I prefer a girthy pen —and not only is the Regular less girthy but the tapered section really, really doesn’t work for me. In terms of width I feel like I’m gripping a #2 pencil when I use the Regular. And I have the delrin section which I find a little slippery so I’m constantly adjusting my grip.

In terms of low-weight, consider that the Minimalistica feels very light in my hands, even capped. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I love the Minimalistica. I often wonder had the Minimalistica been my first Conid, would I have purchased the others? (Because I’m so satisfied with the Minimalistica...)

And of my multiple Kingsize, I prefer the demonstrator with ebonite knob and cap. (Despite how cool the titanium knobs look.)

Frankly my demonstrator / ebonite / flat top Kingsize is almost certainly the pen I most use out of my entire collection.

Thanks for sharing your experience - could you share your opinion on below too?

1 - How would you compare the Minimalistica and the Kingsize? Particularly since you mention that you may not have bought more Conid pens had you bought the Minimalistica first.

2 - On the titanium Kingsize - is the section made of titanium too? how do you find the section for long writing sessions?

3 - Could you share a photo comparing the nib sizes of the #6 Conid, #8 Conid and the Pilot Custom? Would really appreciate that :) I've never owned a #8 nib before and curious how the writing experience compares with a #6 nib.

As many have already stated, your writing experience between the two pens will not differ much. I currently own a Minimalistica and a Kingsize CAISO. I love them both. When I get the question as to how do they feel in the hand, I often use a couple of my Montblanc's as a comparison. The Minimalistica feels like the Meisterstuck 146 and the Kingsize like the Meisterstuck 149. Both excellent writers and both feel great in the hand. I have a preference for girthier pens, so I find myself reaching for the Kingsize more often.

Either way, you cannot go wrong. Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for sharing your experience - could you share your opinion on below too?

1 - How would you compare the Minimalistica and the Kingsize? Particularly since you mention that you may not have bought more Conid pens had you bought the Minimalistica first.

2 - On the titanium Kingsize - is the section made of titanium too? how do you find the section for long writing sessions?

3 - Could you share a photo comparing the nib sizes of the #6 Conid, #8 Conid and the Pilot Custom? Would really appreciate that :) I've never owned a #8 nib before and curious how the writing experience compares with a #6 nib.

#1: The Minimalistica is a nice, light pen that is larger feeling in the hand than it might seem. It's a long cylinder with no section per se, so that's a bit different. But I find it comfortable. The Kingsize has a larger presence and a more distinct section.

#2: The section is titanium. It's fine for long writing however I prefer ebonite because it's a bit lighter and slightly less slippery.

#3: Photo attached showing Minimalistica, Kingsize and Pilot Custom Urushi.

I find the large gold nibs to be pretty soft. That's an 18k on the Kingsize --I think Conid only offers 14k these days. And in my experience the #6 Ti nibs are much flexier than the #8 Ti nibs.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sketchstack.com/uploads/4/9/6/7/49676353/img-1501_orig.jpg

#1: The Minimalistica is a nice, light pen that is larger feeling in the hand than it might seem. It's a long cylinder with no section per se, so that's a bit different. But I find it comfortable. The Kingsize has a larger presence and a more distinct section.

#2: The section is titanium. It's fine for long writing however I prefer ebonite because it's a bit lighter and slightly less slippery.

#3: Photo attached showing Minimalistica, Kingsize and Pilot Custom Urushi.

I find the large gold nibs to be pretty soft. That's an 18k on the Kingsize --I think Conid only offers 14k these days. And in my experience the #6 Ti nibs are much flexier than the #8 Ti nibs.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sketchstack.com/uploads/4/9/6/7/49676353/img-1501_orig.jpg

Thanks for all your inputs! That photo does help to put the sizes in perspective.

Love the section of the Minimalistica, makes it a full demonstrator!

As many have already stated, your writing experience between the two pens will not differ much. I currently own a Minimalistica and a Kingsize CAISO. I love them both. When I get the question as to how do they feel in the hand, I often use a couple of my Montblanc's as a comparison. The Minimalistica feels like the Meisterstuck 146 and the Kingsize like the Meisterstuck 149. Both excellent writers and both feel great in the hand. I have a preference for girthier pens, so I find myself reaching for the Kingsize more often.

Either way, you cannot go wrong. Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for the summary! I'll be getting the Kingsize :) (Mostly because I'll crave for the Kingsize if I buy the Minimalistica now, and then end up with both)

Thanks for the summary! I'll be getting the Kingsize :) (Mostly because I'll crave for the Kingsize if I buy the Minimalistica now, and then end up with both)

And that's a bad thing? :D