Visconti Mirage - Don't Waste Your Time Or Money

edlazarus

I'm not stupid Anthony :P yes I might just throw away a five or ten dollar pen because shipping is more than it was worth, but I don't make enough money to just have five dead viscontis, :lol:

Hi HB,

I know... I never said you were,... but what perplexed me is why you kept going back to a brand that gave you so much grief. I would have demanded a refund after the second flop and walked away from the brand completely... but then again... appreciating their beauty... I can also understand their blinding allure. :lol:

Be well. :)

- Anthony

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• edlazarus

• Honeybadgers

• ParkerDuofold

• como

This is a worrying thread. I intend to buy a HS when I start a new permanent job (just contracts for now). I was planning on going to the only pen store in the city to do so, and take my time.

But to find out it may not even work when I get home? And to deal with refunds and returns when this store is hard to get to? Hmmmm....

I'm reluctant to drop that much money on one online, plus I wanted the whole experience and support one of the few places left.

Maybe I'll look at their others instead. A L2K or GvFC.

This is a worrying thread. I intend to buy a HS when I start a new permanent job (just contracts for now). I was planning on going to the only pen store in the city to do so, and take my time.

But to find out it may not even work when I get home? And to deal with refunds and returns when this store is hard to get to? Hmmmm....

I'm reluctant to drop that much money on one online, plus I wanted the whole experience and support one of the few places left.

Of the four Visconti's I have they have all been good out of the box. Just make sure you go though a dealer that will support you. The HS models will not have the issue with feeding ink. The main issue if any is with the nib. For a while when they first came out the HS Lava models had some other issues but that was a long time ago. If there is a store you can test the HS out first you should be good to go.

Get the HS. you will not regret it. Just be prepared to send it back to the retailer or Coles of london a few times (returns to Goulet or Coles will never cost you money)

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I had three Visconti, Divina with Dreamtouch nib, Opera Elements and Michelangelo with 14K nib, never an issue, they always wrote beatifully with a nice flow, then I bought the Mirage attracted from the nice cobalt red resina: it simply doesn't work! Same issue, write beautifully for a while then start running dryer until the ink stop flowing at all. I think there is a design error, I flushed thoughly the pen, I used also a threded Delta converter which is 100% compatible and always worked fine on a Delta The Journal, without any positive result.

Edited by francoiacc

Get the HS. you will not regret it. Just be prepared to send it back to the retailer or Coles of london a few times (returns to Goulet or Coles will never cost you money)

Alas, I live in Canada and I believe returns might cost money. Plus the original shipping cost. I am still leaning towards it, but may not have to make the decision for several months hence.

• 3 weeks later...

What did Bertram's Inkwell say about why they supplied two pens with the wrong converter and about them not writing when they gave you new ones? Have they had other people with this problem?

Bertram's sold the pens with the converters supplied by Visconti. When I first reported the problem, he checked the inventory he had and confirmed the problem. He then pulled the converters out of the boxes Visconti sent and replaced them with proper converters, I assume at his own expense.

Ouch! Poor Bertram too - must be scratching his head and is probably ticked off that he has been given duds and not exactly making customers happy. Bert is a great guy, so I am sure he is very concerned.

Erick

On that we can all agree. Bert is a great guy and does whatever it takes to make customers happy.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two pens from two other brands that did the same thing. First I put in a standard cartridge to test. If it writes with the same problem, I can be sure that its not the converter that has the problem. Then I took out the nib and feed from section (for Visconti this is easy). Wash and clean them thoroughly with soft old toothbrush and deluged dishwasher detergent. Rinse well. Then I ran a very thin blade through the entire ink channel. Put all back together and the problem went away. Be careful but you can try.

I was gonna say it sounds like a problem with the feed... May be the top since the feed will discharge but not recharge. Very curious. Or try cartridges?

I was eyeing a Mirage... and thought "the new nib looks trash but at least it will write"... maybe not! For reference I just bought my first visconti: a used Michelangelo. Writes perfectly so far, wish the fine nib was actually fine but it is smooth and consistent.

For those thinking of buying, see if the retailer will fill and test the pen before sending (after you pay probably). Say you would rather them test than have to process a return.

Hi HB,

I know... I never said you were,... but what perplexed me is why you kept going back to a brand that gave you so much grief. I would have demanded a refund after the second flop and walked away from the brand completely... but then again... appreciating their beauty... I can also understand their blinding allure. :lol:

Be well. :)

- Anthony

I've had two Viscontis give me trouble. One gushed something absolutely fierce. It was like a river coming out of that nib, to the point of making messes all over the paper (and I prefer wet nibs!). The other one leaked out of the nib unit. I tried everything to fix it. Different nib units. Silicone grease, etc etc etc. Got rid of both of them and will never buy another Visconti. The Homo Sapiens is one of the most beautiful pens that I've ever seen, but the brand lost my loyalty completely.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Thank you so much for this discussion, everyone! I am a huge fan of Italian pens, with several Deltas, an Omas and an Aurora. The only one I have had issues with was the Aurora. I ended up sending it out for repair, then selling it (it was just too light and slim for my arthritic hands).

I was just looking at the Visconti Mirage last night and thought it was a beautiful pen. Since I do not own a Visconti, I was seriously considering a purchase. Now, I am thankful that I didnt. Ive also been considering a Leonardo. I think I will purchase one of those instead.

But, I am deeply appreciative of the confirmation of the positive feedback of Bertrams Inkwell and Goulet. I have always appreciated Goulets excellent customer service, but didnt know anything about Bertrams Inkwell. He is now on my list of go-to vendors.

Edited by DrPenfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thank you so much for this discussion, everyone! I am a huge fan of Italian pens, with several Deltas, an Omas and an Aurora. The only one I have had issues with was the Aurora. I ended up sending it out for repair, then selling it (it was just too light and slim for my arthritic hands).

I was just looking at the Visconti Mirage last night and thought it was a beautiful pen. Since I do not own a Visconti, I was seriously considering a purchase. Now, I am thankful that I didnt. Ive also been considering a Leonardo. I think I will purchase one of those instead.

But, I am deeply appreciative of the confirmation of the positive feedback of Bertrams Inkwell and Goulet. I have always appreciated Goulets excellent customer service, but didnt know anything about Bertrams Inkwell. He is now on my list of go-to vendors.

Let us know how the Leonardo goes -- that would be my move. Currently the Momento Zero is near the top of my "next pen" list, and from the research I've done is a much safer bet than the Mirage... looks like better value too (classic roller-clip, nicer acrylic, #6 nibs, custom ink converter). It is close in price and materials to entry Viscontis, and also uses Bock nibs, but has reviews on the opposite (i.e., positively glowing) end of the spectrum.

A few more data points:

--Reviewer Pen Boy Roy advised against the Mirage, and his even wrote beautifully. The reason: the magnet inside the cap came right out after a short time. More QC.

--Reviewer Penultimate Dave (along with quite a few others) had baby's bottom issues on Leonardo broad nibs, but the issue quickly made it to no less than the CEO of Leonardo Officiana Italiana himself. The company reported they pinpointed the over-polishing problem and fixed it. The CEO also sent Dave two brand new fixed nibs and sections to replace the problematic ones.

Meanwhile Visconti has had years of QC issues that seem to persist across re-issues, re-designs, and now a new release with what should be a new generation of fool-proof German nibs (I think the Mirage uses a basic Bock... sure looks like one). I don't know how you could mess up an off-the-shelf nib just by stamping your name on it...

It feels like it's moving away from incompetence here and into some kind of unbreakable curse.

I have a Leonardo Furore in steel Stub. Beautiful and well made pen, very light like vintage pens. Very comfortable to write with. Section fits well with index finger. The stub is not a daily writer but fun to use. Mine didn’t have baby bottom problems, but I did adjust the tines to open a little more as I like nibs on the wet side. I also smoothed the nib a bit w micro mesh. Now it writes perfectly. I would say that it’s an excellent pen at this price range.

One thing you learn about products is people are more apt to talk about the problems but not contact the (store, company) when they are happy with it.

Here it is different of course since this is a fountain pen forum. What I’d suggest is get the HS. But get it from a seller others highly praise. In the US, I’d tell anyone to check pentime.com which redirects to Chatterley Luxuries because the prices are better and as I posted earlier superlative customer service. My Bronze Age HS wrote well at the start and still does. I wish it had an ink window.

My brother has had issues with some of his Visconti fountain pens breaking. I have not.

One last point: I have the HS and the Lamy 2000 Makrolon. No contest for me: the HS is the one I’d grab if there were a fire.

Posted Image

Dear Goddess, in case of fire, maybe you grab the Lamy instead? I have been told that HS is very heat resistant! I am sorry I just couldn’t help this one ;-)

Como

One thing you learn about products is people are more apt to talk about the problems but not contact the (store, company) when they are happy with it.

Here it is different of course since this is a fountain pen forum. What I’d suggest is get the HS. But get it from a seller others highly praise. In the US, I’d tell anyone to check pentime.com which redirects to Chatterley Luxuries because the prices are better and as I posted earlier superlative customer service. My Bronze Age HS wrote well at the start and still does. I wish it had an ink window.

My brother has had issues with some of his Visconti fountain pens breaking. I have not.

One last point: I have the HS and the Lamy 2000 Makrolon. No contest for me: the HS is the one I’d grab if there were a fire.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a great deal of positive transactions with Bertram's Ink Well (Bert Oser). A stand up pen seller. Just a real satisfied customer.

Edited by avlisyar

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Visconti HS. One of the best pens in my collection. I was excited when I read about the Visconti Mirage as it promised to be a much more affordable, lightweight pen I could use on a more daily basis. Ordered one in the dark blue. Went in to pick it up and liked the look and feel so much I decided on the spot to get a green one as well. Took them home to fill, only to find out that the supplied converters did not fit. My retailer (shout out to Bertram's Inkwell) gladly replaced the converters with the proper screw in models. Home again, filled the pens, and they wrote beautifully -- for a short time. They wrote to dry. No ink coming through the feed. Absolutely none. Cleaned, flushed, refilled. Wrote beautifully again -- until the ink in the feed was all gone. Primed them. Wrote beautifully again -- until the ink in the feed was all gone. You can clean, flush, refill and prime these pens all you want. As long as you do something to put ink into the feed they write well. But don't expect the ink to actually flow into the feed from the converter. That simply never happened. Took them to a nibmeister (another shout out here -- Tim Girdler has done wonders with many pens in my collection). After an hour he couldn't get them to write either and was totally mystified. So now I have two brand new Visconti Mirages that simply do not write. My suggestion -- admire the design, and buy a different pen.

Very disappointing and a total waste of money. Have the same problem with my brand new Visconti Vertigo from Goulet Pens. The feed runs absolutely dry with the converter full of ink! It is filled with Visconti Turquoise ink.

With several cases reported for the same issue, it certainly cannot be isolated occurrence. Visconti should do something about it right away for all affected pen owners.

Edited by acapoor