Morbus Curiositas

Thanks for the excellent and entertaining review! For weeks I've been on the fence about buying this ink, but I think you've convinced me. I'm planning on getting an M400 Tortoiseshell Brown for my birthday and so many saying this is a perfect match for that pen pushed me over the edge haha.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• sanphoemo

• Bo Bo Olson

• inkstainedruth

Thanks for the excellent and entertaining review! For weeks I've been on the fence about buying this ink, but I think you've convinced me. I'm planning on getting an M400 Tortoiseshell Brown for my birthday and so many saying this is a perfect match for that pen pushed me over the edge haha.

I did exactly that after getting a pristine M400 Tortoiseshell Brown. I'm not really into brown inks but the combination is gorgeous.

Edited by sanphoemo

Well Pelikan Tortoise Brown that sounds like a marriage that is just as happy as youe Marriage considering your Christasgift from your Husband.

I wish you a merry Christmas and a lot of Love for the 2 of you in 2019

How sweet of you!Thank you very much. Yes, my husband is a keeper. He even gave me a Tortoiseshell White on top because he noticed me looking at it.

Sorry for not seeing your post earlier!

Edited by sanphoemo

• 1 year later...

Very thorough. A lot of inks are all over the place color-wise across various reviews (Tsuki-yo, for one) but this one is quite consistent.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I was very pleased with this ink, buying a spare bottle.

Very good review Morbus.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 month later...

It is I think an LE ink, so I hope there is still some around. If not you can get expensive bottles off of Ebay.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

1 minute ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

It is I think an LE ink,

It was/is a ‘Special Edition’ ink, which meant production was limited to a certain period (but would be stepped up during that time to meet demand if called for) instead of a predetermined number of units. The ‘beauty’ of SE products is, or at least seems to be, that they're a bit like fashion; towards, or perhaps just after, the end of the season, many retailers still holding stock would try to get rid of it at clearance prices to make space for the new stock of different (SE) products for the next season. I managed to get a whole pile of bottles of Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz ink at about a quarter of the MSRP (and with ‘free’ shipping to me in Australia, no less) about six months ago.

Hobbyists who have benefitted from reading ink reviews such as the O.P.'s, and knew they wanted the ink but weren't prepared to pay full price and be early adopters and promoters, would have been on standby and watching like hawks, waiting to pounce on such closeout offers. I was told by the retailer that it had literally dozens of bottles in stock it wanted to clear.

Once gone, trying to get any (more) bottles of it would be a relatively expensive proposition.

That sort of pattern is less likely if a product was Limited Edition, and it has been well publicised months in advance that only N-hundred or N-thousand units will be available for retail and that's it; every unit sold would sorta make the remaining units in unsold stock more contended by prospective purchasers (including repeat customers), assuming it's a good quality of merit. FOMO would be in play from even before the product's first release.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.